My Documents and "My Name" Documents

somehow under my name in Document and Settings our computer lists all the
users. Then under each name it is supposed to be My Documents. Well, I have
my
name followed by a (2) plust I have a "My Documents, too." The problem is
that further down where it says, "My Documents" some of my folders are empty
or don't have all of my files in them. Also, when I try to open Word
Documents, the computer can't find them. I have to go and search for them
and they are under this "home school mom(2)" folder. This folder does have
all the folders that "My Documents" have in it, but also has some new
folders, too, like Application Data, cookies, and Favorites. Does anyone
have any suggestions?
1 answer Last reply
More about documents name documents

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:39:05 -0700, Home School Mom wrote:

    > somehow under my name in Document and Settings our computer lists all the
    > users. Then under each name it is supposed to be My Documents. Well, I have
    > my
    > name followed by a (2) plust I have a "My Documents, too." The problem is
    > that further down where it says, "My Documents" some of my folders are empty
    > or don't have all of my files in them. Also, when I try to open Word
    > Documents, the computer can't find them. I have to go and search for them
    > and they are under this "home school mom(2)" folder. This folder does have
    > all the folders that "My Documents" have in it, but also has some new
    > folders, too, like Application Data, cookies, and Favorites. Does anyone
    > have any suggestions?

    While logged on with your account, press Start> Run and type in :
    %userprofile%

    Click OK and a window will open. Check the path (address) in the toolbar.
    That is the path to the folders for your active user profile. It is normal
    to see the folders that you mention in that location.

    My Documents is a system folder. It is represented several different ways
    in the My Computer/Explorer window. By default, the actual folder for a
    user is located under Documents and Settings\<user's account name> but it
    can be redirected to the location of your choice. Right click My Documents
    on the Desktop or in the Start Menu and select Properties. In the screen
    that appears, use the Move button to select another folder. Example: I have
    my user account's My Documents folder (and all of its subfolders)
    redirected to I:\MyDocs

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Computers My Documents Microsoft Windows XP