Conroe Pre-build, what do you think?

Ok so here is my wishilist from new egg for my new system (minus the processor since conroe is not out just yet) Oh yea, its also missing a case. I am thinking the centurion 531 cause of its clean look that isnt too flashy.

The system will be used primarily for gaming on my 20in widescreen dell monitor. I don't think i will be doing much overclocking, but if i do, probably nothing to heavy.

So what would you change?

My Wish List
22 answers Last reply
More about conroe build think
  1. That 512mb card is VERY expensive, just get 256mb anyway.

You'll need a DX10 compat. card before you need one with 512mb.

Perhaps a bigger storage drive? Looks quite good.

There'll be better boards out before Conroe is released, something to bear in mind.
  2. Quote:
    That 512mb card is VERY expensive, just get 256mb anyway.

You'll need a DX10 compat. card before you need one with 512mb.

Perhaps a bigger storage drive? Looks quite good.

There'll be better boards out before Conroe is released, something to bear in mind.

Yeah, still a little early to create a "wish list" for a conroe system.. There

should be some really nice stuff coming to market shortly, for INTEL

systems. But, that said, nice list. If you have your heart set on a Raptor

for OS drive, then think about dropping back to a 74GB Raptor, and put

the savings towards a bigger Secondary drive.
  3. Mouse is... well, crap
    And XTX is not worth it, get a regular XT
  4. Wait i thought Conroe was slated for a summer release?
  5. yeh, totally worthless buying or making a wish list now. get a much cheaper video card. mayb eone that will have dx10 on it. and the motherboard is no good. get the asus ones. or the foxconn.
  6. -The HD is the 74 raptor version

-the card i admit is a bit hardcore but i figure ive got the money so why not. (i know i want a 512MB version though cause i want to play ghost recon AW on high details) As far as xtx vs xt, i figure its only about 80 bucks more (are there any review comparing the two?). Also, i know i am kinda blowing my money buying a card now when i will be upgrading again in jan when DX10 and vista are out, but oh well haha.

-the mouse is crap? I thought that was a nice one? If not, then what would you suggest? I want one with multiple on mouse buttons for gaming and wireless with a rechargable battery (i have a MS wireless right now and i am sick of buying new batteries every month or so)

-didnt tomshardware last review of motherboards say that the intel one beat all the other candidates? Or at least that they recommend it over the others?

*edit* just saw the bench's of the xtx vs the xt and yea there isnt much diff i guess. So, does anyone think i SHOULD go xtx over the XT?
  7. Quote:
    -The HD is the 74 raptor version

-the card i admit is a bit hardcore but i figure ive got the money so why not. (i know i want a 512MB version though cause i want to play ghost recon AW on high details) As far as xtx vs xt, i figure its only about 80 bucks more (are there any review comparing the two?). Also, i know i am kinda blowing my money buying a card now when i will be upgrading again in jan when DX10 and vista are out, but oh well haha.

-the mouse is crap? I thought that was a nice one? If not, then what would you suggest? I want one with multiple on mouse buttons for gaming and wireless with a rechargable battery (i have a MS wireless right now and i am sick of buying new batteries every month or so)

-didnt tomshardware last review of motherboards say that the intel one beat all the other candidates? Or at least that they recommend it over the others?

*edit* just saw the bench's of the xtx vs the xt and yea there isnt much diff i guess. So, does anyone think i SHOULD go xtx over the XT?

Sorry, my mistake. I saw the sata 150, thinking it was the 150 gig. Silly

me. :oops:
  8. Quote:
    Mouse is... well, crap

I have a G7 and it is by far one of the best ones I have ever used. I think that is the first time I have ever heard anyone call a G7 crap.
  9. yea, cool thanks man. Yea i heard it was sweet and was surprised by the bad comment as well. I'll deffinitely be getting the G7 (along with the MS Ergo keyboard)

p.s. is there a nice wireless ergo keyboard out there? I want the Ergo4000 from MS but its wired and would prefer to go wireless
  10. aight, i broke down and switched over to the HIS X1900XT w/IceQ3 tech. figured i was being retarded paying an extra 80 bucks when i can just overclock it to xtx speeds anyway with the heatsink they use. Thanks for the advice.

p.s. i also update the wish list to now include the Centurion 531 case
  11. what is the current release date for conroe?
  12. mid july i think??
  13. Quote:
    Why make a Conroe wishlist like half a year before release?

You mean 2 months?
  14. yeah i was almost positive it was soon.. i was just getting dissapointed to hear that its 6moths, good thing thats tnot true.
  15. Do remember that 2 months is still ages in technology - that's why these pre-builds are often so dubious.
  16. Quote:
    Do remember that 2 months is still ages in technology - that's why these pre-builds are often so dubious.

No, 18 months is.
  17. I am assuming MB manufacturers such as gigabyte and asus already have chips to test MB with correct? Just wanna know if I can expect new MB to release along side conroe (seing as currently there are only a few i think that they say shooooould work)
  18. Quote:
    I am assuming MB manufacturers such as gigabyte and asus already have chips to test MB with correct? Just wanna know if I can expect new MB to release along side conroe (seing as currently there are only a few i think that they say shooooould work)

Conroe engineering samples are out, and a few 975x boards support Conroe. Also, with release, cheap 965x boards will come out.
  19. Ghost Recon AW got way better reviews on 360. PC reviews sucked. Also, 360 has Live which will give multiplayer experiance. I am a PC gamer and love the GR games. I had never considered buying a 360 until I saw GRAW and the reviews for each system.
  20. GRAW sucks on PC? um what reviews did you look at? from what i have read they all say it is pretty damn sweet (bigger levels and such too). Also, i own the game for PC and can in fact say it is P.I.M.P.

-plus shooting with a mouse and keyboard is much better then a joypad
  21. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/tomclancysghostrecon3/index.html

This is the review I am referring to. I like their reviews because they grade hard and consitantly. Game reviews are subjective but they seem to match up with my tastes. They gave the 360 version a 9+. Interestingly enough the PC version isn't a port. The games were worked on by two different developement teams.

However, if you have another review of this game I should consider please post it. I am a huge fan of the Ghost Recon series. After the 360 had a price drop I was going to Get GRAW for it, and pass on buying the PC version.

Thanks for the info.
  22. How do you feel about raid setups? They are fairly easy to setup and if you dont mind the small risk, you could get a mobo that supports raid 0 and just get 2 or more cheaper 7200 rpm drives or get server grade 7200 drives( ex)Maxtor Maxline 3), they are the almost the same price as the desktop ones, maybe 5$ more. That way you get lots more storage and a very minimal difference in performace compared to the raptor.

I would recomend an asus mobo or a gigabyte one, either company is really reliable and they both make great performing boards.
    IMO never get an intel mobo, I've had a few of them and had nonstop problems, I dont know why but I just dont recomend getting one.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems