Sign in with
Your question

Conroe Pre-build, what do you think?

Last response: in Systems
May 25, 2006 6:12:56 PM

Ok so here is my wishilist from new egg for my new system (minus the processor since conroe is not out just yet) Oh yea, its also missing a case. I am thinking the centurion 531 cause of its clean look that isnt too flashy.

The system will be used primarily for gaming on my 20in widescreen dell monitor. I don't think i will be doing much overclocking, but if i do, probably nothing to heavy.

So what would you change?

My Wish List

More about : conroe pre build

May 25, 2006 6:51:21 PM

That 512mb card is VERY expensive, just get 256mb anyway.

You'll need a DX10 compat. card before you need one with 512mb.

Perhaps a bigger storage drive? Looks quite good.

There'll be better boards out before Conroe is released, something to bear in mind.
May 25, 2006 7:30:33 PM

Quote:
That 512mb card is VERY expensive, just get 256mb anyway.

You'll need a DX10 compat. card before you need one with 512mb.

Perhaps a bigger storage drive? Looks quite good.

There'll be better boards out before Conroe is released, something to bear in mind.

Yeah, still a little early to create a "wish list" for a conroe system.. There

should be some really nice stuff coming to market shortly, for INTEL

systems. But, that said, nice list. If you have your heart set on a Raptor

for OS drive, then think about dropping back to a 74GB Raptor, and put

the savings towards a bigger Secondary drive.
Related resources
May 25, 2006 7:39:10 PM

Mouse is... well, crap
And XTX is not worth it, get a regular XT
May 25, 2006 7:57:06 PM

Wait i thought Conroe was slated for a summer release?
May 25, 2006 7:59:28 PM

yeh, totally worthless buying or making a wish list now. get a much cheaper video card. mayb eone that will have dx10 on it. and the motherboard is no good. get the asus ones. or the foxconn.
May 25, 2006 8:56:49 PM

-The HD is the 74 raptor version

-the card i admit is a bit hardcore but i figure ive got the money so why not. (i know i want a 512MB version though cause i want to play ghost recon AW on high details) As far as xtx vs xt, i figure its only about 80 bucks more (are there any review comparing the two?). Also, i know i am kinda blowing my money buying a card now when i will be upgrading again in jan when DX10 and vista are out, but oh well haha.

-the mouse is crap? I thought that was a nice one? If not, then what would you suggest? I want one with multiple on mouse buttons for gaming and wireless with a rechargable battery (i have a MS wireless right now and i am sick of buying new batteries every month or so)

-didnt tomshardware last review of motherboards say that the intel one beat all the other candidates? Or at least that they recommend it over the others?

*edit* just saw the bench's of the xtx vs the xt and yea there isnt much diff i guess. So, does anyone think i SHOULD go xtx over the XT?
May 25, 2006 9:15:42 PM

Quote:
-The HD is the 74 raptor version

-the card i admit is a bit hardcore but i figure ive got the money so why not. (i know i want a 512MB version though cause i want to play ghost recon AW on high details) As far as xtx vs xt, i figure its only about 80 bucks more (are there any review comparing the two?). Also, i know i am kinda blowing my money buying a card now when i will be upgrading again in jan when DX10 and vista are out, but oh well haha.

-the mouse is crap? I thought that was a nice one? If not, then what would you suggest? I want one with multiple on mouse buttons for gaming and wireless with a rechargable battery (i have a MS wireless right now and i am sick of buying new batteries every month or so)

-didnt tomshardware last review of motherboards say that the intel one beat all the other candidates? Or at least that they recommend it over the others?

*edit* just saw the bench's of the xtx vs the xt and yea there isnt much diff i guess. So, does anyone think i SHOULD go xtx over the XT?

Sorry, my mistake. I saw the sata 150, thinking it was the 150 gig. Silly

me. :oops: 
May 25, 2006 9:51:47 PM

Quote:
Mouse is... well, crap

I have a G7 and it is by far one of the best ones I have ever used. I think that is the first time I have ever heard anyone call a G7 crap.
May 25, 2006 10:36:23 PM

yea, cool thanks man. Yea i heard it was sweet and was surprised by the bad comment as well. I'll deffinitely be getting the G7 (along with the MS Ergo keyboard)

p.s. is there a nice wireless ergo keyboard out there? I want the Ergo4000 from MS but its wired and would prefer to go wireless
May 25, 2006 11:02:52 PM

aight, i broke down and switched over to the HIS X1900XT w/IceQ3 tech. figured i was being retarded paying an extra 80 bucks when i can just overclock it to xtx speeds anyway with the heatsink they use. Thanks for the advice.

p.s. i also update the wish list to now include the Centurion 531 case
May 26, 2006 1:33:51 AM

what is the current release date for conroe?
May 26, 2006 4:44:25 AM

Quote:
Why make a Conroe wishlist like half a year before release?

You mean 2 months?
May 26, 2006 12:37:52 PM

yeah i was almost positive it was soon.. i was just getting dissapointed to hear that its 6moths, good thing thats tnot true.
May 26, 2006 3:53:40 PM

Do remember that 2 months is still ages in technology - that's why these pre-builds are often so dubious.
May 26, 2006 5:09:52 PM

Quote:
Do remember that 2 months is still ages in technology - that's why these pre-builds are often so dubious.

No, 18 months is.
May 26, 2006 5:18:46 PM

I am assuming MB manufacturers such as gigabyte and asus already have chips to test MB with correct? Just wanna know if I can expect new MB to release along side conroe (seing as currently there are only a few i think that they say shooooould work)
May 26, 2006 5:21:46 PM

Quote:
I am assuming MB manufacturers such as gigabyte and asus already have chips to test MB with correct? Just wanna know if I can expect new MB to release along side conroe (seing as currently there are only a few i think that they say shooooould work)

Conroe engineering samples are out, and a few 975x boards support Conroe. Also, with release, cheap 965x boards will come out.
May 26, 2006 5:31:09 PM

Ghost Recon AW got way better reviews on 360. PC reviews sucked. Also, 360 has Live which will give multiplayer experiance. I am a PC gamer and love the GR games. I had never considered buying a 360 until I saw GRAW and the reviews for each system.
May 26, 2006 7:38:34 PM

GRAW sucks on PC? um what reviews did you look at? from what i have read they all say it is pretty damn sweet (bigger levels and such too). Also, i own the game for PC and can in fact say it is P.I.M.P.

-plus shooting with a mouse and keyboard is much better then a joypad
May 28, 2006 9:14:21 PM

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/tomclancysghostrecon3...

This is the review I am referring to. I like their reviews because they grade hard and consitantly. Game reviews are subjective but they seem to match up with my tastes. They gave the 360 version a 9+. Interestingly enough the PC version isn't a port. The games were worked on by two different developement teams.

However, if you have another review of this game I should consider please post it. I am a huge fan of the Ghost Recon series. After the 360 had a price drop I was going to Get GRAW for it, and pass on buying the PC version.

Thanks for the info.
May 28, 2006 11:41:00 PM

How do you feel about raid setups? They are fairly easy to setup and if you dont mind the small risk, you could get a mobo that supports raid 0 and just get 2 or more cheaper 7200 rpm drives or get server grade 7200 drives( ex)Maxtor Maxline 3), they are the almost the same price as the desktop ones, maybe 5$ more. That way you get lots more storage and a very minimal difference in performace compared to the raptor.

I would recomend an asus mobo or a gigabyte one, either company is really reliable and they both make great performing boards.
IMO never get an intel mobo, I've had a few of them and had nonstop problems, I dont know why but I just dont recomend getting one.
!