Ace_007123

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
I am applying artic silver 5 to my heatsink and CPU via the instructions on the Website but my question is: It say for artic 1, 2, and 3 to apply to heatsink and rub in then wipe off so a haze apears. Should I do this for artic silver 5 or should I just keep my mirrored finish and place it right on top of the thin layer on the cpu? Asking for advise from all you pros out there. Thank you!

Ace_007123

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
Yes that is what I am using though it says: For Arctic Silver 1, 2 and 3 only:

That is where I am asking you out there if you have done it or leave the lapped surface mirrored and just put the AS5 on the CPU and then mount the heatsink.

The first post is straight forward on what I was asking!

dwalden

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
The first post is straight forward on what I was asking!

LMAO!!

I see that. And AGAIN. The guide is VERY clear. For AS 1-3 you rub it in. For AS5 you DON'T.

This isn't the rocket science that many people would lead you to believe. Just squirt some of the compound on the heat spreader and smash it down with the heatsync and twist it a little. There are a million techniques you will find described for this, but the bottom line is that it's just not that crucial.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
Au Contraire my cocky friend!

My testing with the exact same system, with AS3 a few years ago reliably showed a 5 Degree C difference between precisely following the instructions (including the 99.99% pure IPA cleaning, and lint free pads) and just being dumb with it.

5 Degress aint a lot - but it'll let you overclock a bit more - and if you are looking for the limit, then it makes a real difference.

Admittedly, for everyday, and non-overclocked machines it makes very little difference.

Agreed: idiots don't know how to RTFM. Amazing isn't it? An indictment against the schooling system and the parents if you ask me! (And you weren't!) :p

Ace_007123

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
Agreed: idiots don't know how to RTFM. Amazing isn't it? An indictment against the schooling system and the parents if you ask me! (And you weren't!)

It is not about reading the manual it is about experience and how others have done both and what the results have then been. Thus the question was perfectly valid and easily answered. It was answered and I thank you to those who answered! So thank you for your two cents!