Sign in with
Your question

Help: 8xAGP Mobo reqd for 533FSB S478 3gHz P4

Last response: in Motherboards
May 25, 2006 7:12:50 PM

Hi all,

Sorry to probably repeat some old question here but I'm looking for some advice. My current games machine needs a new mobo.

I made the foolish mistake of getting into Battlefield2 and of course, my machine is now on it's knees, lol.

I've been quite lucky with getting bargains and my system now stands as:

Abit BE7-Raid Mobo
CPU: 3GHz Intel (do do do doooo) P4 S478 533FSB (23x multiplier)
RAM: 2x1GB Corsair XMS PC3200 (DDR400 capable) CL2
GPU: BFG 7800GS OC AGP 256MB
HDD: ATA133
PSU: Seasonic S12-430W

The mobo is the original that went in with my first 2.4GHz CPU and although it's a great mobo, it's only 4xAGP

I've tried a slight overclock so I'm now running at 3.2GHz 140Mhz, any higher and I get PCI problems. No real in-game performance hike. In spite of the GPU I can only manage 800x600 low/mid quality to get a usable framerate.

I'm looking to get a solid, stable, rapid mobo that will suit this setup and give me 8xAGP. Although I have DDR400 RAM, I'm guessing I'm forced to clock it down due to the hardware lock on the CPU multiplier.

I went with intel chipset on the BE-7 for stability (had issues with earlier VIA chipset) but ultimately, as long as it's stable and supports the kit above, not too bothered. Onboard Sound, LAN, ATA133 and USB2 reqd, Firewire would be nice but not vital. SATA and PCI-E not necessary, I'm not really looking for future proofing as I reckon once I've moved to 8xAGP, the next step is a new system and that's some time away. A mobo that fits the bill and is affordable is the key.

So can anyone advise? I'm in the UK and hope to hunt on ebay for a 2nd hand bargain, as basically I'm penniless (esp after getting the 7800)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :o )
May 25, 2006 7:53:15 PM

Quote:

I'm looking to get a solid, stable, rapid mobo that will suit this setup and give me 8xAGP. Although I have DDR400 RAM, I'm guessing I'm forced to clock it down due to the hardware lock on the CPU multiplier.

I'm not really looking for future proofing as I reckon once I've moved to 8xAGP, the next step is a new system and that's some time away. A mobo that fits the bill and is affordable is the key.

If you're looking towards the next step...a new system, then stick

with what you have, until Conroe comes out....upgrade then. Going from

AGP 4x - AGP 8x isn't going to make a noticable difference. As far as the

multiplier being locked, no motherboard will solve that, as the multipliers

are locked on the P4 3.06, and most other P4's. Save your money, you

won't regret it. :wink:

PS. If you're hurting for money when Conroe comes out, sell some stuff,

use eBay, except to sell, not buy.
May 25, 2006 8:21:12 PM

Cheers 1Tanker but you missed the point I was making. I simply can't afford an upgrade, however worth it it might be. A mobo will cost me £30-40, rather than several hundred after you factor in everything else you have to replace. I'm looking to bring my system up to the max spec I can without major spend. Everything is maxed out so far except the AGP, and for running BF2 on a 533 system, the difference between 4x and 8x is significant, I'm surprised you suggest it's not.

Thx also to weilin and the_prophecy but both the boards you recommend are ATA100 only so I'd actually drop performance on HDD access.

The ASRock P4V88+ is the closest I've found to a good match so far but I've never heard of Asrock before and it's a VIA chipset, so I'm still looking.

I appreciate the suggestions but ideally I'd like some advice from someone who has a board with a similar setup so I know it'll work. Better still, someone who's running a similar setup for BF2 with a mobo recommendation.
a b V Motherboard
May 25, 2006 8:26:15 PM

actually you wouldn't drop on the HD access performance. The ATA133 spec is useless because IDE hard drives don't come close to transferring at even 100MB/s..... SATA1 and SATA2 drives don't even truly hit 100MB/s
May 25, 2006 8:29:21 PM

Quote:
Cheers 1Tanker but you missed the point I was making. I simply can't afford an upgrade, however worth it it might be. A mobo will cost me £30-40, rather than several hundred after you factor in everything else you have to replace. I'm looking to bring my system up to the max spec I can without major spend. Everything is maxed out so far except the AGP, and for running BF2 on a 533 system, the difference between 4x and 8x is significant, I'm surprised you suggest it's not.

Thx also to weilin and the_prophecy but both the boards you recommend are ATA100 only so I'd actually drop performance on HDD access.

The ASRock P4V88+ is the closest I've found to a good match so far but I've never heard of Asrock before and it's a VIA chipset, so I'm still looking.

I appreciate the suggestions but ideally I'd like some advice from someone who has a board with a similar setup so I know it'll work. Better still, someone who's running a similar setup for BF2 with a mobo recommendation.

Don't forget your processor only has 533 Bus, therefore your system is

most likely cpu bound, Not GPU... I think you'll be disappointed. Yes, i

know you're strapped for cash, so you may as well stay where you are

for now. GL :) 
May 25, 2006 8:45:48 PM

I hear ya mate, but it's my only option :( 

If nothing else, it just bugs me to think I'm not getting all I can out of my GPU

Feel free to donate your old system when you get your upgrade, lol
May 25, 2006 9:30:11 PM

Sorry prophecy, missed your reply re ATA 100/133, ta for that. So you really see no value in going for the higher value? I was wondering why newer mobos have dropped the ata133 support. All seem to go to 100 only. So why bother with the 133 standard at all?
May 25, 2006 9:34:51 PM

Quote:
Sorry prophecy, missed your reply re ATA 100/133, ta for that. So you really see no value in going for the higher value? I was wondering why newer mobos have dropped the ata133 support. All seem to go to 100 only. So why bother with the 133 standard at all?

Maxtor pushed for it, and , i guess mobo manufacturer's, and consumers

bought the hype. :?
May 25, 2006 11:04:43 PM

If your current board only supports 4x AGP, you are probably also being killed by lack of memory bandwidth because the board probably doesn't support dual channel memory. That board with the 865 chipset supports dual channel memory and will probably give you a big boost in performance.
!