2 7900gts or 1 7900gtx (for now)... or 7950GX2?

Gormeroth

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
hey guys, i'm new to posting here but i'd like some opinions...

buying a new system soon... possibily when conroe comes out unless i can see a brighter future than what we currently foresee for the am2 chipset. but that's a different (and possibily inflammatory) topic for a later date :).

i can wait for conroe, but i can't wait for dx10 cards... lord knows when that's going to come into play.

anyway i'm currently running a 6800gt with a 754 amd 3200+.

my main question is with regards to my video card(s) selection...

2 7900gts = $600'ish
1 7900gtx = $400-$500'ish
1 7950GX2? = $650?

by the time i do upgrade the 7950GX2 will actually be an option but would it make more sense than to get 2 7900gts? To me right now that almost seems like the best bang for the buck.. Could i get some opinions?

please go easy on me if i've made any mistakes here. i am a newb :)

Gorm

ps. i know i could go ati but would i be for around $600 total would i be able to really get that good of a bang for my buck on the ATI end of things? perhaps 2 1900xts???

cleeve

Illustrious
If you don't require uber-high resolutions, a single 7900 GT or X1800 XT will do you just fine.

Even better would be a single X1900 XT.

If you absolutely need super-high res and AA, two 7900 GTs would be good... better than a single 7900 GTX. But remember, you need a great PSU to push two cards like that.
And the increase in performance won't exactly be cost effective. Two 7900 GTs won't be twice as fast as a single 7900 GT...

Gormeroth

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
If you don't require uber-high resolutions, a single 7900 GT or X1800 XT will do you just fine.

Even better would be a single X1900 XT.

If you absolutely need super-high res and AA, two 7900 GTs would be good... better than a single 7900 GTX. But remember, you need a great PSU to push two cards like that.
And the increase in performance won't exactly be cost effective. Two 7900 GTs won't be twice as fast as a single 7900 GT...

aye sir, i have been doing a lot of reading on duel vid cards running in sli or CF. i know the performance isn't necessarily double but i do know that it is definitely beneficially in high res with AA and AF, which is what i really want. to be honest, i'm a complete snob with taht stuff and play a lot of FPS's. i think i would really benefit from two cards.

yeah i know about the PSU issue too. i currently have an antec true power 480 and i have a feeling it's not quite enough for two 7900gts...

as far as duel gpu set up is concerned, the reason i'm more into the nvidia side of it is because i know sli has been around a lot longer than CF and i'm assuming that since they've nvidia had longer to develop and fix the kinks in their drivers (sli wise), so that it might be the wiser choice at this moment in time.

plus two 7900gts for $600... can you really get an ati CF setup that will boast more power for the same price???

cleeve

Illustrious
Honestly I don't know. I haven't seen any good 2x7900GT and 2xX1800 XT comparos, they'd be the same price. The new Ati chipset seems to help Crossfire alot.

You might want to look into it, but I suspect it'll be the same story with the single cards, each side will take their share of benches... just do some research in the games you plan to play. :)