  • Microsoft
  • IIS
  • Windows XP
September 20, 2004 6:21:01 PM

I'm trying to upgrade xp home to xp pro with an upgrade
disc ( so I can use IIS) but it won't proceed as it says
the version of xp I have is newer than the upgrade. I
presume this is because I have istalled sp2. Is there a
way round this?

More about : upgrade home pro

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 6:32:36 PM

If you are bound and determined to have sp2 just uninstall it, upgrade to
pro and reinstall sp2.

"Mick T" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to upgrade xp home to xp pro with an upgrade
> disc ( so I can use IIS) but it won't proceed as it says
> the version of xp I have is newer than the upgrade. I
> presume this is because I have istalled sp2. Is there a
> way round this?
September 20, 2004 6:36:48 PM

I would ask myself if I really need XP pro it really isnt
much different than home.
Also, If it is not a ligitimate purchased copy you will
end up causing more problems by installing a pirated or
copied version.

September 20, 2004 8:30:12 PM

Unless SP2 is integrated into XP Pro, then one cannot
upgrade an existing XP Home w/SP2 installation using
a non-SP2 version of XP Pro. What you need to do is
create a SP2 "slipstreamed" version of XP Pro, then use
the new CD to upgrade over XP Home w/SP2.

You have two options:

1. Uninstall SP2 from XP Home, then upgrade to XP Pro.

or

2. Create a SP2 slipstreamed version of XP Pro (preferred)
and use the new XP Pro w/SP2 to upgrade.

Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
(integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticl...

Information on AutoStreamer 1.0
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337&...

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875350&Product=windowsxpsp2

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Mick T" wrote:

| I'm trying to upgrade xp home to xp pro with an upgrade
| disc ( so I can use IIS) but it won't proceed as it says
| the version of xp I have is newer than the upgrade. I
| presume this is because I have istalled sp2. Is there a
| way round this?
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 1:22:58 AM

A person does not need to justify upgrading to Pro if that is what that
person wants to do. It is a supported upgrade. Ignore the "Home
cheerleaders" and do your upgrade. A lot of experienced users encourage
going Pro. I do.

"Corey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would ask myself if I really need XP pro it really isnt
> much different than home.
> Also, If it is not a ligitimate purchased copy you will
> end up causing more problems by installing a pirated or
> copied version.

Anonymous
September 21, 2004 2:09:13 AM

Mick T wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade xp home to xp pro with an upgrade
> disc ( so I can use IIS) but it won't proceed as it says
> the version of xp I have is newer than the upgrade. I
> presume this is because I have istalled sp2. Is there a
> way round this?

Despite all the comments about slipstreaming above, just remove SP2
[uninstall] from your system then install the upgrade then install SP2
again. I say this because your copy of XP Home is likely an OEM version. I
doubt that an upgrade CD will allow slipstreaming. Wish you luck with your
choice which ever it may be.
--
Gene K
Anonymous

Hi

You'll need a slipstreamed SP2 CD to install, otherwise you will have
uninstall SP2, then upgrade to Pro and then again to SP2. To create a
slipstream SP2 CD you will need to download the SP2 file (266 MBs) from
here:

and then following the directions in the following article:

http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticl...

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User