upgrade xp home to xp pro

I'm trying to upgrade xp home to xp pro with an upgrade
disc ( so I can use IIS) but it won't proceed as it says
the version of xp I have is newer than the upgrade. I
presume this is because I have istalled sp2. Is there a
way round this?
6 answers Last reply
More about upgrade home

    If you are bound and determined to have sp2 just uninstall it, upgrade to
    pro and reinstall sp2.

    "Mick T" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to upgrade xp home to xp pro with an upgrade
    > disc ( so I can use IIS) but it won't proceed as it says
    > the version of xp I have is newer than the upgrade. I
    > presume this is because I have istalled sp2. Is there a
    > way round this?

    I would ask myself if I really need XP pro it really isnt
    much different than home.
    Also, If it is not a ligitimate purchased copy you will
    end up causing more problems by installing a pirated or
    copied version.

    Unless SP2 is integrated into XP Pro, then one cannot
    upgrade an existing XP Home w/SP2 installation using
    a non-SP2 version of XP Pro. What you need to do is
    create a SP2 "slipstreamed" version of XP Pro, then use
    the new CD to upgrade over XP Home w/SP2.

    You have two options:

    1. Uninstall SP2 from XP Home, then upgrade to XP Pro.

    or

    2. Create a SP2 slipstreamed version of XP Pro (preferred)
    and use the new XP Pro w/SP2 to upgrade.

    Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
    (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

    Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    Information on AutoStreamer 1.0
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337&st=0&#entry245

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875350&Product=windowsxpsp2

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Mick T" wrote:

    | I'm trying to upgrade xp home to xp pro with an upgrade
    | disc ( so I can use IIS) but it won't proceed as it says
    | the version of xp I have is newer than the upgrade. I
    | presume this is because I have istalled sp2. Is there a
    | way round this?

    A person does not need to justify upgrading to Pro if that is what that
    person wants to do. It is a supported upgrade. Ignore the "Home
    cheerleaders" and do your upgrade. A lot of experienced users encourage
    going Pro. I do.

    Mick T wrote:
    > I'm trying to upgrade xp home to xp pro with an upgrade
    > disc ( so I can use IIS) but it won't proceed as it says
    > the version of xp I have is newer than the upgrade. I
    > presume this is because I have istalled sp2. Is there a
    > way round this?

    Despite all the comments about slipstreaming above, just remove SP2
    [uninstall] from your system then install the upgrade then install SP2
    again. I say this because your copy of XP Home is likely an OEM version. I
    doubt that an upgrade CD will allow slipstreaming. Wish you luck with your
    choice which ever it may be.
    --
    Gene K

    Hi

    You'll need a slipstreamed SP2 CD to install, otherwise you will have
    uninstall SP2, then upgrade to Pro and then again to SP2. To create a
    slipstream SP2 CD you will need to download the SP2 file (266 MBs) from
    here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    and then following the directions in the following article:

    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Mick T" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to upgrade xp home to xp pro with an upgrade
    > disc ( so I can use IIS) but it won't proceed as it says
    > the version of xp I have is newer than the upgrade. I
    > presume this is because I have istalled sp2. Is there a
    > way round this?

Microsoft IIS Windows XP