Sign in with
Your question

Pentium D 805 Overclocked Throttling Back

Last response: in Overclocking
May 25, 2006 9:41:52 PM

I had an AMD Athlon 64 3200 stock and decided to go with the 805 for an overclocked, somewhat temporary solution. I followed the article step by step, and can get a pretty stable setup even at 3.9 - 4 GHZ with the Zalman Cooler. I am having a problem with the unit throttling back.

I am Using RightMark Clock to test throttling, Prime 95 to perform processor intensive tasks, and a program from Asus, my motherboard, to test core temp. Whether I am running at 3.3 GHZ or 3.9 GHZ I never go above 73 degrees, and 73 is rare, however even at 3.3 GHZ the processor gets throttled back. My temp never seems to be high enough to fry the unit and the article has it stable almost up to 80 degrees.

Any help on this would be appreciated. Everything else is working great, but it should definitely not be throttling back at such a low frequency.
May 25, 2006 10:12:37 PM

Intel recomends 64.1c. 73 or 80 is high.

Solution:
Downclock
Get a HSF in the 120mm class
Redo your thermal paste
May 25, 2006 10:31:26 PM

I'm wondering if the HS isn't well placed in some fashion. for me, I've got it clocked at a very moderate 3.0 and I'm NEVER above 43, idle is like 39 or so. I'm sure if I did clock it to 3.6 or whatnot it wouldn't go to the 70's... I should try to see. Unfortunately my mobo doesn't allow me to modify the processor voltage, so I probably won't be able to go as high as some ppl would.
Related resources
May 25, 2006 10:46:56 PM

What motherboard are you using? Tm2 should be enabled for it to work. I had a similiar problem with throttling with an ecs 945p board . it was not selecting tm2 in the bios set to auto or manually.
One way to check to see if the vcore backs down when throttling.

with that being said it 80° is hot but you should be fine if those temps were with you running to seperate prime 95 programs.
if you ae running only one then there other issues.

by the way what zalman cooler?
May 25, 2006 10:56:55 PM

I am using the Asus P5WD2-E Premium, the one from the article, as well as the Zalman 9500. It is possible that the Fan is not on correctly, I have never replaced a fan before with grease and everything like the Zalman.

The question still remains about the unit throttling back. I know TM2 is enabled cause I can disable it and not get any throttling. I am, however, running hotter then the article. My idle temp is around 51 degrees at 3.3. I purchased a new 680 power supply but for some reason the fan points into the case instead of out the back. I am not sure how much of an effect this is having on the temp. It does seem counterintuitive to blow into the case instead of out.

I am considering retunring this one and buying another power supply but I want to have all my basis covered before I do it.
May 25, 2006 11:04:06 PM

Quote:
I am using the Asus P5WD2-E Premium, the one from the article, as well as the Zalman 9500. It is possible that the Fan is not on correctly, I have never replaced a fan before with grease and everything like the Zalman.

The question still remains about the unit throttling back. I know TM2 is enabled cause I can disable it and not get any throttling. I am, however, running hotter then the article. My idle temp is around 51 degrees at 3.3. I purchased a new 680 power supply but for some reason the fan points into the case instead of out the back. I am not sure how much of an effect this is having on the temp. It does seem counterintuitive to blow into the case instead of out.

I am considering retunring this one and buying another power supply but I want to have all my basis covered before I do it.
If the air being blown by the PSU is hot, that is surely not helping your CPU temperature situation. I'd get a new PSU.
May 25, 2006 11:18:08 PM

idle at 51° 3.3 is high, what volatge are you running for 3.3ghz 1.3x should be fine. at 3.9ghz voltage around 1.45 should be normal and thats when i expect 51° idle. load dual prime i get 80°

Back to your throttling do you have the newest non beta bios? and if you idle 3.3ghz at 51° what temp does it go to under full load? And it even throttles at 3.3ghz.
May 25, 2006 11:44:23 PM

The voltage is set to the default value of 1.375, I think thats the number. The throttling doesn't occur until I bump the unit up to about 3.6GHZ. I am going to try to replace the power supply and redo the fan on the processor.

I am running this system with an AT 1900 XT, do you think that 500 watts will be enough or do I need over 600 watts?
May 26, 2006 12:46:21 AM

for your tm2 problem What bios version are you running?0501?
I think i saw that ati x1900 draws less then 7900gtx so 500watts should be ok for a bare minimum at 3.6ghz.So if you have a spare i say go ahead and use it but if you are buying a new one and want get the most out of your overclock i think a good 600watt is required. I am actually going for a 700~800 watt soon as i do more research because i dont think my xfinity 600w can handle much more of an overclock and i dont want to think about throwing in my sexond 7900gtx.
May 26, 2006 2:06:37 AM

Mine does the same thing. I have an ASUS P5WD2-E Premium. I have a 450 watt antec psu and I am thinking that this is the problem. It's only rated to like 14amps or something on the 12V.

http://flogitlogit.blogspot.com/
June 15, 2006 10:26:51 AM

How (or should I say where) can you disable tm1/2 on asus p2wd2-e? I've searched the bios but haven't found anything mentioning this description...

Can anybody here help me please?
June 15, 2006 11:42:51 AM

Angry Ducky did really point it out right. It is the PSU bloing hot air inside the case. That may not be that big problem with water cooling but with air cooler it is. Btw why don't you consider bying some cheap water cooler? Something like Evercool WC-F117.
June 18, 2006 11:29:21 PM

Quote:
Angry Ducky did really point it out right. It is the PSU bloing hot air inside the case. That may not be that big problem with water cooling but with air cooler it is. Btw why don't you consider bying some cheap water cooler? Something like Evercool WC-F117.

Spot on - no way the PSU should be drawing air into the case. Get it exchanged for a properly fitted one.
June 19, 2006 12:28:11 AM

Also, re-seat the heatsink and apply a THIN layer of AS5! If done correctly the THIN layer of AS5 reduces the temp by 5-8c for me anyway. I'm stable at 4.0 on my D 805 and load temps are mid 40's with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. I got lucky on the CPU though, i thought my mobo was reporting too low of temps, but I tried the CPU in a friends setup with the same cooler he uses and mine runs about 9 degrees cooler under load than his 805 does :)  If you think logically about the airflow in your case you can easily extinguish this "flamethrower" of a processor and make it worth every penny. (though it didnt cost too many pennies to start :) )
June 29, 2006 10:33:28 AM

I have the same problem also.. however i have a Thermal Take Tai Chi Case with the built in water cooling..

I'm currently running stable @ 3.8ghz (v1.45) idle around 45*C and hit 63*C under full load but i was hoping to reach 4ghz+ with my setup.

PC Spec
Thermaltake Tai Chi Case
620W Liberty PSU
Asus PSWD2-E Premium
Pentium 4 805D (@ 3.8ghz)
OCZ 2GB PC8000 DDR2 Dual Channel Kit
ATI Radeon X1900 Crossfire Edition
ATI Radeon X1900 XT
2 x 74Gb Raptor

If i OC any further i have to raise the voltage and my CPU temp starts hitting 70*C and TM2 kicks in..i'm now thinking about remounting my water block (even though i did use thin layer of artic silver and believe it is mounted correctly), looking at these forums my temps should be a lot lower :oops:  ..any other suggestions?

Edit: Forgot to say case temp 29*C-32*C
!