2 Sipgate numbers behind one router..?

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

Anyone know how to set up two Sipgate accounts behind a single router..? I
currently have a Grandstream ATA-486 running behind a Netgear DM602
modem/router and I'd like to add a second account. Initially I'd like to
get this working on X-Lite, but if I can do this ok I'd maybe invest in
either a second ATA-486 or a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura
range.

Can anyone advise me of the correct settings to allow X-Lite to function
in this way..? I tried the default settings but it wouldn't log on and
although I can originate calls from the second account it won't respond to
incoming calls (returns busy tone) and shows as offline on the Sipgate
site.

I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought I'd ask
here.

Ivor

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

Sipgate state somewhere that they don't support it.

As I can figure out, both 'lines' come via the same port and there is no way
to program the router to which phone (IP)
to forward the call.
Draytek 2600V routers have two VoIP ports, but AFAIK at the moment they
can't handle two 'lines', although
Draytek is hinting it will be possible with a later firmware. Not sure just
how they propose to do it.
Regards,
Martin

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"Martin²" <never@give.one> wrote in message
> Sipgate state somewhere that they don't support it.
>
> As I can figure out, both 'lines' come via the same port and there is no
way
> to program the router to which phone (IP)
> to forward the call.
> Draytek 2600V routers have two VoIP ports, but AFAIK at the moment they
> can't handle two 'lines', although
> Draytek is hinting it will be possible with a later firmware. Not sure
just
> how they propose to do it.
> Regards,
> Martin

So what does the other port do on the Draytek?
Dave..

"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message

> Anyone know how to set up two Sipgate accounts behind a single router..? I
> currently have a Grandstream ATA-486 running behind a Netgear DM602
> modem/router and I'd like to add a second account. Initially I'd like to
> get this working on X-Lite, but if I can do this ok I'd maybe invest in
> either a second ATA-486 or a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura
> range.

BT-101: How do I configure two or more SIP terminals in a network? (Content
Overview: )

In order to allow two SIP terminals on a network to operate behind one
router, you must make the following configuration changes.

Configuration of the IP devices
Reconfigure the DHCP mode and assign a static IP address to both devices.

Call the IP address of a device in the browser.

The devices are pre-configured on the following ports:

a.. Listen SIP Port: 5060

a.. Listen RTP Port: 5004

Make the following changes on one of your SIP devices:

a.. Listen SIP Port: 5061

a.. Listen RTP Port: 5005

Click on "Update" in order to make the changes take effect.

Configuring the router
Adjust the router to forward ports 5061 and 5005 to the IP of the equipment,
in the configurations menu in which you made the changes! i.e.-Your router.

If you want to use more than two IP devices in a network, using one router,
proceed as described above, but number those ports sequentially in the
configuration menu of the device.

Configure these ports to route traffic the same way. For a third IP device
for example:

a.. Listen SIP Port: 5062

a.. Listen RTP Port: 5006

begin 666 trans.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
`
end

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Can anyone advise me of the correct settings to allow X-Lite to
> function in this way..? I tried the default settings but it wouldn't
> log on and although I can originate calls from the second account it
> won't respond to incoming calls (returns busy tone) and shows as
> offline on the Sipgate site.
>
> I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought I'd
> ask here.

When I was having problems with the ATA-486 displaying the CLI (still an
only found 1 phone which will display the CLI: BT Synergy DECT), I checked
the use random port on the ATA config (rather than the default 5060, 5004) -
it still worked, as the use random port option is for your exact case maybe
you could give it a go!

Jon

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

Sipura 2000 should be able to do this - the device has one IP address and
two ports for POTS phones (with separate setup parameters). My presumption
was that the Sipgate warning to use just one phone came from the fact that
they do not supply two-phone adapters themselves, and that it is a one-IP
restriction rather than a one-phone restriction.

But I have not made my Sipura 2000 work yet - my Netgear RP614 (v2) router
is rather crude in Port-Forwarding options, and won't work even with xLite.
I am yet to identify an affordable non-wifi router that will work well with
Sipgate and the Sipura. (Suggestions welcome).

John Geddes
Derbyshire UK

"John Geddes" <john@st4rm4rkassociates.co.uk> wrote in message
> Sipura 2000 should be able to do this - the device has one IP address
> and two ports for POTS phones (with separate setup parameters). My
> presumption was that the Sipgate warning to use just one phone came from
> the fact that they do not supply two-phone adapters themselves, and that
> it is a one-IP restriction rather than a one-phone restriction.
>
> But I have not made my Sipura 2000 work yet - my Netgear RP614 (v2)
> router is rather crude in Port-Forwarding options, and won't work even
> with xLite. I am yet to identify an affordable non-wifi router that will
> work well with Sipgate and the Sipura. (Suggestions welcome).

As I said, I'm using a Netgear DM602 modem/router (single port, connected
to external hub) and it works fine with my Grandstream ATA-486. Don't want
to spend more money on something like the Sipura until I *know* it's going
to work..!

Ivor

Dave Gill wrote:
> Jonathan Pearson <j.pearson@REMOVEtelco4u.net> wrote:
>
>> When I was having problems with the ATA-486 displaying the CLI
>> (still an only found 1 phone which will display the CLI: BT
>> Synergy DECT), I checked the use random port on the ATA config
>> (rather than the default 5060, 5004) - it still worked, as the use
>> random port option is for your exact case maybe you could give it
>> a go!
>
> I found that my tatty old Siemens-built BT Dect displays CLI fine,
> but needs a ring capacitor to make it ring, while my newer
> Sagem-built BT Dect won't display CLI but doesn't need the ring
> capacitor...
>
> Fortunately Sipgate supplied an adapter with a ring capacitor with
> the ATA-486.

I never got one of those, I had to get one from Maplins..!

BTW re. the original post, I finally got it working, by fiddling with the
port numbers on X-Lite and in the router, but succeeded in locking up both
the router and the ATA-486..!

Methinks this project requires some more thought..!

Ivor

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

Yes, you can easily forward ports 5060 & 5004 to one VoIP phone and ports
5061 & 5005 to another,
but then you presumably need to get the service providers VoIP server to
'call you' on the alternative ports ?
Regards,
Martin

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

Dave:
>So what does the other port do on the Draytek?

AFAIK you can plug in two analog phones, but both use the same 'line' /
number.
Regards,
Martin

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Dave Gill wrote:
>> Jonathan Pearson <j.pearson@REMOVEtelco4u.net> wrote:
>>
>>> When I was having problems with the ATA-486 displaying the CLI
>>> (still an only found 1 phone which will display the CLI: BT
>>> Synergy DECT), I checked the use random port on the ATA config
>>> (rather than the default 5060, 5004) - it still worked, as the use
>>> random port option is for your exact case maybe you could give it
>>> a go!
>>
>> I found that my tatty old Siemens-built BT Dect displays CLI fine,
>> but needs a ring capacitor to make it ring, while my newer
>> Sagem-built BT Dect won't display CLI but doesn't need the ring
>> capacitor...
>>
>> Fortunately Sipgate supplied an adapter with a ring capacitor with
>> the ATA-486.
>
> I never got one of those, I had to get one from Maplins..!
>
> BTW re. the original post, I finally got it working, by fiddling with
> the port numbers on X-Lite and in the router, but succeeded in
> locking up both the router and the ATA-486..!
>
> Methinks this project requires some more thought..!
>
> Ivor

BTW (Ivor) - I know that your CLI worked with a Binatone?, do you have a
list of model numbers of the phones which you've used and the CLI has worked
with the ATA-486 - I'll also go to maplins and get a new BT-to-RJ11 adaptor
incase my current one isn't working?

thanks in advance
Jon

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

> Ivor Jones wrote:
>> BTW re. the original post, I finally got it working, by fiddling with
>> the port numbers on X-Lite and in the router, but succeeded in
>> locking up both the router and the ATA-486..!
>>
>> Methinks this project requires some more thought..!
>>
>> Ivor

p.s. The sipagte website has been updated sometime in the past month - your
original post is covered in the help section of the ATA-486 - section 6

Jon

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message

> Anyone know how to set up two Sipgate accounts behind a single router..?
> I currently have a Grandstream ATA-486 running behind a Netgear DM602
> modem/router and I'd like to add a second account. Initially I'd like to
> get this working on X-Lite, but if I can do this ok I'd maybe invest in
> either a second ATA-486 or a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura
> range.
>
> Can anyone advise me of the correct settings to allow X-Lite to function
> in this way..? I tried the default settings but it wouldn't log on and
> although I can originate calls from the second account it won't respond
> to incoming calls (returns busy tone) and shows as offline on the
> Sipgate site.
>
> I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought I'd
> ask here.
>
> Ivor

Well my second ATA-486 arrived today and I configured it to use ports 5005
and 5061 as per the instructions on the Sipgate website, but no joy. Tried
calling my other Sipgate number and got no transmitted audio in either
direction.

Spent half an hour on the phone to Sipgate but even the extremely helpful
guy there was unable to assist, we tried everything we could think of but
no luck.

I *think* it's down to the fact that my existing ATA-486 seems to require
the DMZ of the router to be set to its IP address, obviously I can't set
the DMZ to more than one address.

So it looks like my plan for 2 Sipgate numbers has gone pear-shaped :-(
Sipgate say I can return the 486 for a refund, but I might try seeing if a
friend who I know is currently using X-Lite is interested, either way I
won't lose out financially.

Thought I'd report my findings here, if anyone else has *successfully* got
two Grandstream ATA-486 units to work behind a single router, *please* let
me know how you did it..!!

Ivor

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

Ivor Jones wrote:
[...]
> I *think* it's down to the fact that my existing ATA-486 seems to require
> the DMZ of the router to be set to its IP address, obviously I can't set
> the DMZ to more than one address.
[...]

Specify the (different, unique) ports that the ATAs are set to use and
use "port forwarding" across to your DMZ.

Good luck,
Martin

--
---------- OS? What's that?!
- Martin - To most people, "Operating System" is unknown & strange.

Martin 53N 1W wrote:
> Ivor Jones wrote:
> [...]
>> I *think* it's down to the fact that my existing ATA-486 seems to
>> require the DMZ of the router to be set to its IP address,
>> obviously I can't set the DMZ to more than one address.
> [...]
>
> Specify the (different, unique) ports that the ATAs are set to use
> and use "port forwarding" across to your DMZ.
>
> Good luck,
> Martin

Sorry, I don't understand. My router has an address of 192.168.1.1 and the
PC's are 192.168.1.10 etc. The existing (working) ATA-486 is set to
192.168.1.16 and I set the new one to 192.168.1.17.

The ports used by the existing ATA are the defaults of 5004 and 5060, the
new one is set to 5005 and 5061 as per Sipgate's instructions. The port
forwarding in the router is set to forward the ports to the correct
devices.

The router only has one port for a DMZ, this is set to 192.168.1.16 the
address of the working ATA.

What else, if anything, do I need to do..?

Ivor

Ivor Jones <nor.is@this.inv> wrote:
> Sorry, I don't understand. My router has an address of 192.168.1.1 and the
> PC's are 192.168.1.10 etc. The existing (working) ATA-486 is set to
> 192.168.1.16 and I set the new one to 192.168.1.17.
>
> The ports used by the existing ATA are the defaults of 5004 and 5060, the
> new one is set to 5005 and 5061 as per Sipgate's instructions. The port
> forwarding in the router is set to forward the ports to the correct
> devices.
>
> The router only has one port for a DMZ, this is set to 192.168.1.16 the
> address of the working ATA.
>
> What else, if anything, do I need to do..?

If your router can honestly only forward ports to one internal device, the
answer is to get a new router. Can it only forward ports to devices attached
to the physical DMZ port? Can there be more than one device connected there
via a hub?

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Martin 53N 1W wrote:
>>[...]
>>
>>Specify the (different, unique) ports that the ATAs are set to use
>>and use "port forwarding" across to your DMZ.
>>
>>Good luck,
>>Martin
>

> Sorry, I don't understand. My router has an address of 192.168.1.1 and the
> PC's are 192.168.1.10 etc. The existing (working) ATA-486 is set to
> 192.168.1.16 and I set the new one to 192.168.1.17.
>
> The ports used by the existing ATA are the defaults of 5004 and 5060, the
> new one is set to 5005 and 5061 as per Sipgate's instructions. The port
> forwarding in the router is set to forward the ports to the correct
> devices.
>
> The router only has one port for a DMZ, this is set to 192.168.1.16 the
> address of the working ATA.

You should be able to have more than one IP address in your DMZ. If not,
then use DMZ and DMZ2!?

What you want is port forwarding such that:

wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.16:5004
wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.16:5060
wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.17:5005
wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.17:5061

If your router can't support that, then you need another router or you
should set up your own Asterisk server...

Good luck,
Martin

--
---------- OS? What's that?!
- Martin - To most people, "Operating System" is unknown & strange.
- 53N 1W - Mandrake 10.0.1 GNU Linux - An OS for Supercomputers & PCs
---------- http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-gb/concept.php3

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

Martin 53N 1W wrote:

[snip]

> You should be able to have more than one IP address in your DMZ. If
> not, then use DMZ and DMZ2!?
>
> What you want is port forwarding such that:
>
> wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.16:5004
> wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.16:5060
> wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.17:5005
> wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.17:5061
>

> If your router can't support that, then you need another router or
> you should set up your own Asterisk server...
>
> Good luck,
> Martin

The router is a Netgear DM602 modem with inbuilt router and single
Ethernet port, this is connected to a hub to which the PC's and ATA's are
connected. In the config it is only possible to set one IP address as a
DMZ. I have never heard of DMZ2..?! I don't see any way of adding port
numbers to the end of IP addresses.

I don't want anything that requires a PC to be on all the time. Maybe one
of the Sipura devices that has 2 phone sockets..? Could one of these be
configured to do what I want..?

Ivor

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Martin 53N 1W wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>
>>wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.16:5004
>>wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.16:5060
>>wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.17:5005
>>wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.17:5061
>>

> The router is a Netgear DM602 modem with inbuilt router and single
> Ethernet port, this is connected to a hub to which the PC's and ATA's are
> connected. In the config it is only possible to set one IP address as a
> DMZ. I have never heard of DMZ2..?! I don't see any way of adding port
> numbers to the end of IP addresses.

On some devices you can call the zones anything you like!

I've not used your modem. The settings might be hidden under the heading
"RDR" or redirect or similar.

> I don't want anything that requires a PC to be on all the time.

Check out a dedicated firewall-router. Or run linux with a diskless PC.
There are single floppy firewall distros that will run on /really old/
PCs...

Good luck,
Martin

--
---------- OS? What's that?!
- Martin - To most people, "Operating System" is unknown & strange.
- 53N 1W - Mandrake 10.0.1 GNU Linux - An OS for Supercomputers & PCs
---------- http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-gb/concept.php3

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

You need to disable the DMZ setting on the router and setup port
forwarding. You forward ports 5004 and 5060 to one IP and ports 5005 and
5061 to the other IP.

Yaser

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Anyone know how to set up two Sipgate accounts behind a single router..? I
> currently have a Grandstream ATA-486 running behind a Netgear DM602
> modem/router and I'd like to add a second account. Initially I'd like to
> get this working on X-Lite, but if I can do this ok I'd maybe invest in
> either a second ATA-486 or a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura
> range.
>
> Can anyone advise me of the correct settings to allow X-Lite to function
> in this way..? I tried the default settings but it wouldn't log on and
> although I can originate calls from the second account it won't respond to
> incoming calls (returns busy tone) and shows as offline on the Sipgate
> site.
>
> I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought I'd ask
> here.

Did you get a reply from Sipgate? I do not think they
allow/permit/support what you are trying to do!

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:11:32 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
<this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote:

>"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message
>>
>> Anyone know how to set up two Sipgate accounts behind a single router..?
>> I currently have a Grandstream ATA-486 running behind a Netgear DM602
>> modem/router and I'd like to add a second account. Initially I'd like to
>> get this working on X-Lite, but if I can do this ok I'd maybe invest in
>> either a second ATA-486 or a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura
>> range.
>>
>> Can anyone advise me of the correct settings to allow X-Lite to function
>> in this way..? I tried the default settings but it wouldn't log on and
>> although I can originate calls from the second account it won't respond
>> to incoming calls (returns busy tone) and shows as offline on the
>> Sipgate site.
>>
>> I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought I'd
>> ask here.
>>
>> Ivor
>
>Well my second ATA-486 arrived today and I configured it to use ports 5005
>and 5061 as per the instructions on the Sipgate website, but no joy. Tried
>calling my other Sipgate number and got no transmitted audio in either
>direction.
>
>Spent half an hour on the phone to Sipgate but even the extremely helpful
>guy there was unable to assist, we tried everything we could think of but
>no luck.
>
>I *think* it's down to the fact that my existing ATA-486 seems to require
>the DMZ of the router to be set to its IP address, obviously I can't set
>the DMZ to more than one address.
>
>So it looks like my plan for 2 Sipgate numbers has gone pear-shaped :-(
>Sipgate say I can return the 486 for a refund, but I might try seeing if a
>friend who I know is currently using X-Lite is interested, either way I
>won't lose out financially.
>
>Thought I'd report my findings here, if anyone else has *successfully* got
>two Grandstream ATA-486 units to work behind a single router, *please* let
>me know how you did it..!!

The only way I could ever get my Sipgate connection to work was by
setting the router DMZ to the address of the ATA-486. I'd tried
everything before that, including opening all the ports as recommended
by Sipgate, but the best I could get was the same as you, audio in one
direction only.

Chris

Yaser Doleh wrote:
> You need to disable the DMZ setting on the router and setup port
> forwarding. You forward ports 5004 and 5060 to one IP and ports
> 5005 and 5061 to the other IP.

If I disable DMZ neither of them work, including the one that works with
its IP address set in the DMZ.

Ivor

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

Did you try it ? After you disable the DMZ you need to setup port
forwarding.

Email me directly and I will try to help you.

Yaser