2 Sipgate numbers behind one router..?

Last response: in Networking
January 21, 2005 1:03:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

Anyone know how to set up two Sipgate accounts behind a single router..? I
currently have a Grandstream ATA-486 running behind a Netgear DM602
modem/router and I'd like to add a second account. Initially I'd like to
get this working on X-Lite, but if I can do this ok I'd maybe invest in
either a second ATA-486 or a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura
range.

Can anyone advise me of the correct settings to allow X-Lite to function
in this way..? I tried the default settings but it wouldn't log on and
although I can originate calls from the second account it won't respond to
incoming calls (returns busy tone) and shows as offline on the Sipgate
site.

I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought I'd ask
here.

Ivor

More about : sipgate numbers router

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 4:59:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

Sipgate state somewhere that they don't support it.

As I can figure out, both 'lines' come via the same port and there is no way
to program the router to which phone (IP)
to forward the call.
Draytek 2600V routers have two VoIP ports, but AFAIK at the moment they
can't handle two 'lines', although
Draytek is hinting it will be possible with a later firmware. Not sure just
how they propose to do it.
Regards,
Martin
January 21, 2005 3:18:28 PM

"Martin²" <never@give.one> wrote in message
> Sipgate state somewhere that they don't support it.
>
> As I can figure out, both 'lines' come via the same port and there is no
way
> to program the router to which phone (IP)
> to forward the call.
> Draytek 2600V routers have two VoIP ports, but AFAIK at the moment they
> can't handle two 'lines', although
> Draytek is hinting it will be possible with a later firmware. Not sure
just
> how they propose to do it.
> Regards,
> Martin

So what does the other port do on the Draytek?
Dave..
January 21, 2005 3:40:26 PM

"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message

> Anyone know how to set up two Sipgate accounts behind a single router..? I
> currently have a Grandstream ATA-486 running behind a Netgear DM602
> modem/router and I'd like to add a second account. Initially I'd like to
> get this working on X-Lite, but if I can do this ok I'd maybe invest in
> either a second ATA-486 or a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura
> range.

BT-101: How do I configure two or more SIP terminals in a network? (Content
Overview: )

In order to allow two SIP terminals on a network to operate behind one
router, you must make the following configuration changes.

Configuration of the IP devices
Reconfigure the DHCP mode and assign a static IP address to both devices.

Call the IP address of a device in the browser.

The devices are pre-configured on the following ports:

a.. Listen SIP Port: 5060

a.. Listen RTP Port: 5004

Make the following changes on one of your SIP devices:

a.. Listen SIP Port: 5061

a.. Listen RTP Port: 5005

Click on "Update" in order to make the changes take effect.

Configuring the router
Adjust the router to forward ports 5061 and 5005 to the IP of the equipment,
in the configurations menu in which you made the changes! i.e.-Your router.

If you want to use more than two IP devices in a network, using one router,
proceed as described above, but number those ports sequentially in the
configuration menu of the device.

Configure these ports to route traffic the same way. For a third IP device
for example:

a.. Listen SIP Port: 5062

a.. Listen RTP Port: 5006

begin 666 trans.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
`
end
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 4:17:01 PM

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Can anyone advise me of the correct settings to allow X-Lite to
> function in this way..? I tried the default settings but it wouldn't
> log on and although I can originate calls from the second account it
> won't respond to incoming calls (returns busy tone) and shows as
> offline on the Sipgate site.
>
> I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought I'd
> ask here.

When I was having problems with the ATA-486 displaying the CLI (still an
only found 1 phone which will display the CLI: BT Synergy DECT), I checked
the use random port on the ATA config (rather than the default 5060, 5004) -
it still worked, as the use random port option is for your exact case maybe
you could give it a go!

Jon
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 5:39:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

Sipura 2000 should be able to do this - the device has one IP address and
two ports for POTS phones (with separate setup parameters). My presumption
was that the Sipgate warning to use just one phone came from the fact that
they do not supply two-phone adapters themselves, and that it is a one-IP
restriction rather than a one-phone restriction.

But I have not made my Sipura 2000 work yet - my Netgear RP614 (v2) router
is rather crude in Port-Forwarding options, and won't work even with xLite.
I am yet to identify an affordable non-wifi router that will work well with
Sipgate and the Sipura. (Suggestions welcome).

John Geddes
Derbyshire UK

"Martin²" <never@give.one> wrote in message
> Sipgate state somewhere that they don't support it.
>
> As I can figure out, both 'lines' come via the same port and there is no
> way to program the router to which phone (IP)
> to forward the call.
> Draytek 2600V routers have two VoIP ports, but AFAIK at the moment they
> can't handle two 'lines', although
> Draytek is hinting it will be possible with a later firmware. Not sure
> just how they propose to do it.
> Regards,
> Martin

January 21, 2005 6:51:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

The cisco ATA 186 can do this, mine does do this :)

and the two numbers are very similer :)
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 7:29:25 PM

"John Geddes" <john@st4rm4rkassociates.co.uk> wrote in message
> Sipura 2000 should be able to do this - the device has one IP address
> and two ports for POTS phones (with separate setup parameters). My
> presumption was that the Sipgate warning to use just one phone came from
> the fact that they do not supply two-phone adapters themselves, and that
> it is a one-IP restriction rather than a one-phone restriction.
>
> But I have not made my Sipura 2000 work yet - my Netgear RP614 (v2)
> router is rather crude in Port-Forwarding options, and won't work even
> with xLite. I am yet to identify an affordable non-wifi router that will
> work well with Sipgate and the Sipura. (Suggestions welcome).

As I said, I'm using a Netgear DM602 modem/router (single port, connected
to external hub) and it works fine with my Grandstream ATA-486. Don't want
to spend more money on something like the Sipura until I *know* it's going
to work..!

Ivor
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 11:15:49 PM

Dave Gill wrote:
> Jonathan Pearson <j.pearson@REMOVEtelco4u.net> wrote:
>
>> When I was having problems with the ATA-486 displaying the CLI
>> (still an only found 1 phone which will display the CLI: BT
>> Synergy DECT), I checked the use random port on the ATA config
>> (rather than the default 5060, 5004) - it still worked, as the use
>> random port option is for your exact case maybe you could give it
>> a go!
>
> I found that my tatty old Siemens-built BT Dect displays CLI fine,
> but needs a ring capacitor to make it ring, while my newer
> Sagem-built BT Dect won't display CLI but doesn't need the ring
> capacitor...
>
> Fortunately Sipgate supplied an adapter with a ring capacitor with
> the ATA-486.

I never got one of those, I had to get one from Maplins..!

BTW re. the original post, I finally got it working, by fiddling with the
port numbers on X-Lite and in the router, but succeeded in locking up both
the router and the ATA-486..!

Methinks this project requires some more thought..!

Ivor
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 5:10:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

Yes, you can easily forward ports 5060 & 5004 to one VoIP phone and ports
5061 & 5005 to another,
but then you presumably need to get the service providers VoIP server to
'call you' on the alternative ports ?
Regards,
Martin
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 5:12:44 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

Dave:
>So what does the other port do on the Draytek?

AFAIK you can plug in two analog phones, but both use the same 'line' /
number.
Regards,
Martin
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 12:11:44 AM

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Dave Gill wrote:
>> Jonathan Pearson <j.pearson@REMOVEtelco4u.net> wrote:
>>
>>> When I was having problems with the ATA-486 displaying the CLI
>>> (still an only found 1 phone which will display the CLI: BT
>>> Synergy DECT), I checked the use random port on the ATA config
>>> (rather than the default 5060, 5004) - it still worked, as the use
>>> random port option is for your exact case maybe you could give it
>>> a go!
>>
>> I found that my tatty old Siemens-built BT Dect displays CLI fine,
>> but needs a ring capacitor to make it ring, while my newer
>> Sagem-built BT Dect won't display CLI but doesn't need the ring
>> capacitor...
>>
>> Fortunately Sipgate supplied an adapter with a ring capacitor with
>> the ATA-486.
>
> I never got one of those, I had to get one from Maplins..!
>
> BTW re. the original post, I finally got it working, by fiddling with
> the port numbers on X-Lite and in the router, but succeeded in
> locking up both the router and the ATA-486..!
>
> Methinks this project requires some more thought..!
>
> Ivor

BTW (Ivor) - I know that your CLI worked with a Binatone?, do you have a
list of model numbers of the phones which you've used and the CLI has worked
with the ATA-486 - I'll also go to maplins and get a new BT-to-RJ11 adaptor
incase my current one isn't working?

thanks in advance
Jon
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 12:27:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

> Ivor Jones wrote:
>> BTW re. the original post, I finally got it working, by fiddling with
>> the port numbers on X-Lite and in the router, but succeeded in
>> locking up both the router and the ATA-486..!
>>
>> Methinks this project requires some more thought..!
>>
>> Ivor

p.s. The sipagte website has been updated sometime in the past month - your
original post is covered in the help section of the ATA-486 - section 6

Jon
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 8:11:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message

> Anyone know how to set up two Sipgate accounts behind a single router..?
> I currently have a Grandstream ATA-486 running behind a Netgear DM602
> modem/router and I'd like to add a second account. Initially I'd like to
> get this working on X-Lite, but if I can do this ok I'd maybe invest in
> either a second ATA-486 or a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura
> range.
>
> Can anyone advise me of the correct settings to allow X-Lite to function
> in this way..? I tried the default settings but it wouldn't log on and
> although I can originate calls from the second account it won't respond
> to incoming calls (returns busy tone) and shows as offline on the
> Sipgate site.
>
> I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought I'd
> ask here.
>
> Ivor

Well my second ATA-486 arrived today and I configured it to use ports 5005
and 5061 as per the instructions on the Sipgate website, but no joy. Tried
calling my other Sipgate number and got no transmitted audio in either
direction.

Spent half an hour on the phone to Sipgate but even the extremely helpful
guy there was unable to assist, we tried everything we could think of but
no luck.

I *think* it's down to the fact that my existing ATA-486 seems to require
the DMZ of the router to be set to its IP address, obviously I can't set
the DMZ to more than one address.

So it looks like my plan for 2 Sipgate numbers has gone pear-shaped :-(
Sipgate say I can return the 486 for a refund, but I might try seeing if a
friend who I know is currently using X-Lite is interested, either way I
won't lose out financially.

Thought I'd report my findings here, if anyone else has *successfully* got
two Grandstream ATA-486 units to work behind a single router, *please* let
me know how you did it..!!

Ivor
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 10:57:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

Ivor Jones wrote:
[...]
> I *think* it's down to the fact that my existing ATA-486 seems to require
> the DMZ of the router to be set to its IP address, obviously I can't set
> the DMZ to more than one address.
[...]

Specify the (different, unique) ports that the ATAs are set to use and
use "port forwarding" across to your DMZ.

Good luck,
Martin

--
---------- OS? What's that?!
- Martin - To most people, "Operating System" is unknown & strange.

Martin 53N 1W wrote:
> Ivor Jones wrote:
> [...]
>> I *think* it's down to the fact that my existing ATA-486 seems to
>> require the DMZ of the router to be set to its IP address,
>> obviously I can't set the DMZ to more than one address.
> [...]
>
> Specify the (different, unique) ports that the ATAs are set to use
> and use "port forwarding" across to your DMZ.
>
> Good luck,
> Martin

Sorry, I don't understand. My router has an address of 192.168.1.1 and the
PC's are 192.168.1.10 etc. The existing (working) ATA-486 is set to
192.168.1.16 and I set the new one to 192.168.1.17.

The ports used by the existing ATA are the defaults of 5004 and 5060, the
new one is set to 5005 and 5061 as per Sipgate's instructions. The port
forwarding in the router is set to forward the ports to the correct
devices.

The router only has one port for a DMZ, this is set to 192.168.1.16 the
address of the working ATA.

What else, if anything, do I need to do..?

Ivor
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:36:33 PM

Ivor Jones <nor.is@this.inv> wrote:
> Sorry, I don't understand. My router has an address of 192.168.1.1 and the
> PC's are 192.168.1.10 etc. The existing (working) ATA-486 is set to
> 192.168.1.16 and I set the new one to 192.168.1.17.
>
> The ports used by the existing ATA are the defaults of 5004 and 5060, the
> new one is set to 5005 and 5061 as per Sipgate's instructions. The port
> forwarding in the router is set to forward the ports to the correct
> devices.
>
> The router only has one port for a DMZ, this is set to 192.168.1.16 the
> address of the working ATA.
>
> What else, if anything, do I need to do..?

If your router can honestly only forward ports to one internal device, the
answer is to get a new router. Can it only forward ports to devices attached
to the physical DMZ port? Can there be more than one device connected there
via a hub?

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Anonymous

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Martin 53N 1W wrote:
>>[...]
>>
>>Specify the (different, unique) ports that the ATAs are set to use
>>and use "port forwarding" across to your DMZ.
>>
>>Good luck,
>>Martin
>

> Sorry, I don't understand. My router has an address of 192.168.1.1 and the
> PC's are 192.168.1.10 etc. The existing (working) ATA-486 is set to
> 192.168.1.16 and I set the new one to 192.168.1.17.
>
> The ports used by the existing ATA are the defaults of 5004 and 5060, the
> new one is set to 5005 and 5061 as per Sipgate's instructions. The port
> forwarding in the router is set to forward the ports to the correct
> devices.
>
> The router only has one port for a DMZ, this is set to 192.168.1.16 the
> address of the working ATA.

You should be able to have more than one IP address in your DMZ. If not,
then use DMZ and DMZ2!?

What you want is port forwarding such that:

wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.16:5004
wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.16:5060
wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.17:5005
wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.17:5061

If your router can't support that, then you need another router or you
should set up your own Asterisk server...

Good luck,
Martin

--
---------- OS? What's that?!
- Martin - To most people, "Operating System" is unknown & strange.
- 53N 1W - Mandrake 10.0.1 GNU Linux - An OS for Supercomputers & PCs
---------- http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-gb/concept.php3
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 2:20:44 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

Martin 53N 1W wrote:

[snip]

> You should be able to have more than one IP address in your DMZ. If
> not, then use DMZ and DMZ2!?
>
> What you want is port forwarding such that:
>
> wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.16:5004
> wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.16:5060
> wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.17:5005
> wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.17:5061
>

> If your router can't support that, then you need another router or
> you should set up your own Asterisk server...
>
> Good luck,
> Martin

The router is a Netgear DM602 modem with inbuilt router and single
Ethernet port, this is connected to a hub to which the PC's and ATA's are
connected. In the config it is only possible to set one IP address as a
DMZ. I have never heard of DMZ2..?! I don't see any way of adding port
numbers to the end of IP addresses.

I don't want anything that requires a PC to be on all the time. Maybe one
of the Sipura devices that has 2 phone sockets..? Could one of these be
configured to do what I want..?

Ivor
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 2:51:09 AM

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Martin 53N 1W wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>
>>wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.16:5004
>>wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.16:5060
>>wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.17:5005
>>wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.17:5061
>>

> The router is a Netgear DM602 modem with inbuilt router and single
> Ethernet port, this is connected to a hub to which the PC's and ATA's are
> connected. In the config it is only possible to set one IP address as a
> DMZ. I have never heard of DMZ2..?! I don't see any way of adding port
> numbers to the end of IP addresses.

On some devices you can call the zones anything you like!

I've not used your modem. The settings might be hidden under the heading
"RDR" or redirect or similar.

> I don't want anything that requires a PC to be on all the time.

Check out a dedicated firewall-router. Or run linux with a diskless PC.
There are single floppy firewall distros that will run on /really old/
PCs...

Good luck,
Martin

--
---------- OS? What's that?!
- Martin - To most people, "Operating System" is unknown & strange.
- 53N 1W - Mandrake 10.0.1 GNU Linux - An OS for Supercomputers & PCs
---------- http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-gb/concept.php3
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 11:49:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

You need to disable the DMZ setting on the router and setup port
forwarding. You forward ports 5004 and 5060 to one IP and ports 5005 and
5061 to the other IP.

Yaser

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Martin 53N 1W wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>>You should be able to have more than one IP address in your DMZ. If
>>not, then use DMZ and DMZ2!?
>>
>>What you want is port forwarding such that:
>>
>>wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.16:5004
>>wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.16:5060
>>wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.17:5005
>>wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.17:5061
>>

>>If your router can't support that, then you need another router or
>>you should set up your own Asterisk server...
>>
>>Good luck,
>>Martin
>

> The router is a Netgear DM602 modem with inbuilt router and single
> Ethernet port, this is connected to a hub to which the PC's and ATA's are
> connected. In the config it is only possible to set one IP address as a
> DMZ. I have never heard of DMZ2..?! I don't see any way of adding port
> numbers to the end of IP addresses.
>
> I don't want anything that requires a PC to be on all the time. Maybe one
> of the Sipura devices that has 2 phone sockets..? Could one of these be
> configured to do what I want..?
>
> Ivor

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 12:31:25 PM

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Anyone know how to set up two Sipgate accounts behind a single router..? I
> currently have a Grandstream ATA-486 running behind a Netgear DM602
> modem/router and I'd like to add a second account. Initially I'd like to
> get this working on X-Lite, but if I can do this ok I'd maybe invest in
> either a second ATA-486 or a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura
> range.
>
> Can anyone advise me of the correct settings to allow X-Lite to function
> in this way..? I tried the default settings but it wouldn't log on and
> although I can originate calls from the second account it won't respond to
> incoming calls (returns busy tone) and shows as offline on the Sipgate
> site.
>
> I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought I'd ask
> here.

Did you get a reply from Sipgate? I do not think they
allow/permit/support what you are trying to do!
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 12:56:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:11:32 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
<this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote:

>"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message
>>
>> Anyone know how to set up two Sipgate accounts behind a single router..?
>> I currently have a Grandstream ATA-486 running behind a Netgear DM602
>> modem/router and I'd like to add a second account. Initially I'd like to
>> get this working on X-Lite, but if I can do this ok I'd maybe invest in
>> either a second ATA-486 or a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura
>> range.
>>
>> Can anyone advise me of the correct settings to allow X-Lite to function
>> in this way..? I tried the default settings but it wouldn't log on and
>> although I can originate calls from the second account it won't respond
>> to incoming calls (returns busy tone) and shows as offline on the
>> Sipgate site.
>>
>> I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought I'd
>> ask here.
>>
>> Ivor
>
>Well my second ATA-486 arrived today and I configured it to use ports 5005
>and 5061 as per the instructions on the Sipgate website, but no joy. Tried
>calling my other Sipgate number and got no transmitted audio in either
>direction.
>
>Spent half an hour on the phone to Sipgate but even the extremely helpful
>guy there was unable to assist, we tried everything we could think of but
>no luck.
>
>I *think* it's down to the fact that my existing ATA-486 seems to require
>the DMZ of the router to be set to its IP address, obviously I can't set
>the DMZ to more than one address.
>
>So it looks like my plan for 2 Sipgate numbers has gone pear-shaped :-(
>Sipgate say I can return the 486 for a refund, but I might try seeing if a
>friend who I know is currently using X-Lite is interested, either way I
>won't lose out financially.
>
>Thought I'd report my findings here, if anyone else has *successfully* got
>two Grandstream ATA-486 units to work behind a single router, *please* let
>me know how you did it..!!

The only way I could ever get my Sipgate connection to work was by
setting the router DMZ to the address of the ATA-486. I'd tried
everything before that, including opening all the ports as recommended
by Sipgate, but the best I could get was the same as you, audio in one
direction only.

Chris
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:36:44 PM

Yaser Doleh wrote:
> You need to disable the DMZ setting on the router and setup port
> forwarding. You forward ports 5004 and 5060 to one IP and ports
> 5005 and 5061 to the other IP.

If I disable DMZ neither of them work, including the one that works with
its IP address set in the DMZ.

Ivor
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:36:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

Did you try it ? After you disable the DMZ you need to setup port
forwarding.

Email me directly and I will try to help you.

Yaser

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Yaser Doleh wrote:
>
>>You need to disable the DMZ setting on the router and setup port
>>forwarding. You forward ports 5004 and 5060 to one IP and ports
>>5005 and 5061 to the other IP.
>

> If I disable DMZ neither of them work, including the one that works with
> its IP address set in the DMZ.
>
> Ivor

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:38:25 PM

Chris Blunt wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:11:32 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
> <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote:

[snip]

>> I *think* it's down to the fact that my existing ATA-486 seems to
>> require the DMZ of the router to be set to its IP address,
>> obviously I can't set the DMZ to more than one address.
>>
>> So it looks like my plan for 2 Sipgate numbers has gone
>> pear-shaped :-( Sipgate say I can return the 486 for a refund, but
>> I might try seeing if a friend who I know is currently using
>> X-Lite is interested, either way I won't lose out financially.
>>
>> Thought I'd report my findings here, if anyone else has
>> *successfully* got two Grandstream ATA-486 units to work behind a
>> single router, *please* let me know how you did it..!!
>
> The only way I could ever get my Sipgate connection to work was by
> setting the router DMZ to the address of the ATA-486. I'd tried
> everything before that, including opening all the ports as
> recommended by Sipgate, but the best I could get was the same as
> you, audio in one direction only.

Exactly, so how do I get *two* ATA-486's working..? I can only set one IP
in the DMZ..!

Ivor
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:40:21 PM

Rick Merrill wrote:
> Ivor Jones wrote:
>> Anyone know how to set up two Sipgate accounts behind a single
>> router..? I currently have a Grandstream ATA-486 running behind a
>> Netgear DM602 modem/router and I'd like to add a second account.
>> Initially I'd like to get this working on X-Lite, but if I can do
>> this ok I'd maybe invest in either a second ATA-486 or a 2-port
>> device such as one of the Sipura range.
>>
>> Can anyone advise me of the correct settings to allow X-Lite to
>> function in this way..? I tried the default settings but it
>> wouldn't log on and although I can originate calls from the second
>> account it won't respond to incoming calls (returns busy tone) and
>> shows as offline on the Sipgate site.
>>
>> I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought
>> I'd ask here.
>
> Did you get a reply from Sipgate? I do not think they
> allow/permit/support what you are trying to do!

Read my earlier posts. I spent half an hour on the phone with the guy from
Sipgate who said it should work, but no way anything we tried worked.

Ivor
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 8:47:46 PM

Yaser Doleh wrote:
> Did you try it ? After you disable the DMZ you need to setup port
> forwarding.
>
> Email me directly and I will try to help you.
>
> Yaser

Yes I *have* tried it, and several other combinations and nothing works. I
already have port forwarding enabled in addition to the DMZ and only with
both does the single ATA-486 work. Disable either and it does not. Add the
second ATA and it doesn't.

I'm on the point of giving up now..!

Ivor

PS could you bottom post please, many thanks.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 9:03:44 PM

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Yaser Doleh wrote:
>
>>Did you try it ? After you disable the DMZ you need to setup port
>>forwarding.
[...]
> Yes I *have* tried it, and several other combinations and nothing works. I
[...]
> I'm on the point of giving up now..!

There must be something about your modem-router that you're missing.

You know about IPs, redirects and port forwarding. Now check that each
ATA works individually for their respective IPs and ports as you expect.
Then try setting up for both simultaneously.

Check the modem-router manual/datasheets.

I'm guessing that you have:

ISP

Modem-Router-(Firewall)

LAN Switch or Hub --> ATA #2

ATA #1

Yes?

Good luck,
Martin

--
---------- OS? What's that?!
- Martin - To most people, "Operating System" is unknown & strange.
- 53N 1W - Mandrake 10.0.1 GNU Linux - An OS for Supercomputers & PCs
---------- http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-gb/concept.php3
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 10:13:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

Martin 53N 1W wrote:

[snip]

> There must be something about your modem-router that you're missing.
>
> You know about IPs, redirects and port forwarding. Now check that
> each ATA works individually for their respective IPs and ports as
> you expect. Then try setting up for both simultaneously.
>
> Check the modem-router manual/datasheets.
>
> I'm guessing that you have:
>
> ISP

> Modem-Router-(Firewall)

> LAN Switch or Hub --> ATA #2

> ATA #1
>
> Yes?

Precisely. ATA #1 works fine on its own, with both port forwarding set and
the DMZ set to its IP. Add the 2nd ATA and it all goes pear-shaped..!
The 2nd ATA works fine on its own, as does the first, it just won't work
with both together.

I think a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura range might be the
answer, would you agree..? Has anyone got one of these working with 2
Sipgate numbers behind a DM602 router..?

Ivor
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 11:02:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

Ivor Jones wrote:
[...]
> Precisely. ATA #1 works fine on its own, with both port forwarding set and
> the DMZ set to its IP. Add the 2nd ATA and it all goes pear-shaped..!
> The 2nd ATA works fine on its own, as does the first, it just won't work
> with both together.
>
> I think a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura range might be the
> answer, would you agree..? Has anyone got one of these working with 2
> Sipgate numbers behind a DM602 router..?

Now, why should 2x 2-port ATAs work any better with what you're trying?

The problem is with your modem-router not doing NAT/forwarding properly
or otherwise with your settings for it.

You would get similar problems if those ports were on two PCs on your
internal LAN for example.

Look and check further.

Good luck,
Martin

--
---------- OS? What's that?!
- Martin - To most people, "Operating System" is unknown & strange.
- 53N 1W - Mandrake 10.0.1 GNU Linux - An OS for Supercomputers & PCs
---------- http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-gb/concept.php3
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 11:02:27 PM

Martin 53N 1W wrote:
> Ivor Jones wrote:
> [...]
>

>> Precisely. ATA #1 works fine on its own, with both port forwarding set
>> and the DMZ set to its IP. Add the 2nd ATA and it all goes pear-shaped..!
>> The 2nd ATA works fine on its own, as does the first, it just won't
>> work with both together.
>>
>> I think a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura range might be the
>> answer, would you agree..? Has anyone got one of these working with 2
>> Sipgate numbers behind a DM602 router..?
>

> Now, why should 2x 2-port ATAs work any better with what you're trying?
>
> The problem is with your modem-router not doing NAT/forwarding properly
> or otherwise with your settings for it.

Because a single ATA with 2 ports will have a single IP. He can setup
the DMZ host to that IP. This will forward all unknown packets to that IP.

> You would get similar problems if those ports were on two PCs on your
> internal LAN for example.
>
> Look and check further.
>
> Good luck,
> Martin

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 11:49:37 PM

Martin 53N 1W wrote:
> Ivor Jones wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Precisely. ATA #1 works fine on its own, with both port forwarding
>> set and the DMZ set to its IP. Add the 2nd ATA and it all goes
>> pear-shaped..! The 2nd ATA works fine on its own, as does the first, it
>> just
>> won't work with both together.
>>
>> I think a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura range might be
>> the answer, would you agree..? Has anyone got one of these working
>> with 2 Sipgate numbers behind a DM602 router..?
>
> Now, why should 2x 2-port ATAs work any better with what you're
> trying?

No, I meant *one* 2-port device which will (hopefully) allow the two phone
numbers to present to the router with a single IP address.

Ivor
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 11:49:38 PM

Ivor Jones wrote:

> No, I meant *one* 2-port device which will (hopefully) allow the two phone
> numbers to present to the router with a single IP address.

Each phone has to have it's own IP. Please correct me if you know otherwise.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 11:49:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

The device he is talking about is a single device with 2 analog ports.
You can connect 2 regular analog phones to it. Each port is mapped to a
sip account. The device software manges the 2 lines.

Rick Merrill wrote:
> Ivor Jones wrote:

>> No, I meant *one* 2-port device which will (hopefully) allow the two
>> phone numbers to present to the router with a single IP address.
>

> Each phone has to have it's own IP. Please correct me if you know
> otherwise.
January 30, 2005 12:17:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

> Read my earlier posts. I spent half an hour on the phone with the guy from
> Sipgate who said it should work, but no way anything we tried worked.
>
> Ivor

Ivor
you may have already answered this but is there a way to turn on UPNP on
your router? With UPNP I dont think you should need to forward any ports or
put the ATA in the DMZ (both of which you can only do to a single IP
address).

I have a SPA-2000 behind a USR9106 router with UPNP enabled and dont have to
forward any ports. I've got two numbers from 2 different providers on the
SPA.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 12:22:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

> you may have already answered this but is there a way to turn on
> UPNP on your router? With UPNP I dont think you should need to
> forward any ports or put the ATA in the DMZ (both of which you can
> only do to a single IP address).
>
> I have a SPA-2000 behind a USR9106 router with UPNP enabled and
> dont have to forward any ports. I've got two numbers from 2
> different providers on the SPA.

The router does not have any settings for UPNP so it looks as though
that's a non-starter.

Thanks for the thought though.

Ivor
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:48:56 AM

Yaser Doleh wrote:
> The device he is talking about is a single device with 2 analog ports.
> You can connect 2 regular analog phones to it. Each port is mapped to a
> sip account. The device software manges the 2 lines.

Surely, but I thought he was talking about two TA.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 6:12:16 PM

Rick Merrill wrote:
> Yaser Doleh wrote:
>> The device he is talking about is a single device with 2 analog
>> ports. You can connect 2 regular analog phones to it. Each port is
>> mapped to a sip account. The device software manges the 2 lines.
>
> Surely, but I thought he was talking about two TA.

That's what I've been *trying* to get working, unsuccessfully. So I'm
thinking of a single 2-port device, can anyone recommend one that will
work with 2 accounts from Sipgate..? They use the same SIP and STUN
servers but require separate login and password details.

Ivor
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 12:09:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:12:16 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
<this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote:

>Rick Merrill wrote:
>> Yaser Doleh wrote:
>>> The device he is talking about is a single device with 2 analog
>>> ports. You can connect 2 regular analog phones to it. Each port is
>>> mapped to a sip account. The device software manges the 2 lines.
>>
>> Surely, but I thought he was talking about two TA.
>
>That's what I've been *trying* to get working, unsuccessfully. So I'm
>thinking of a single 2-port device, can anyone recommend one that will
>work with 2 accounts from Sipgate..? They use the same SIP and STUN
>servers but require separate login and password details.

sipura 2000?
reverse my email address, and remove the obvious
spam traps to reach me by email.
http://www.callthrough.tk/ = site not updated.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 1:27:35 AM

_T*R*A*P*S*I*H*T*E*V*O*M*E*R*_ okram (Mark Kelly) wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:12:16 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
> <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote:
>
>> Rick Merrill wrote:
>>>
>>> Surely, but I thought he was talking about two TA.
>>
>> That's what I've been *trying* to get working, unsuccessfully. So
>> I'm thinking of a single 2-port device, can anyone recommend one
>> that will work with 2 accounts from Sipgate..? They use the same
>> SIP and STUN servers but require separate login and password
>> details.
>>

> sipura 2000?

Yes I've been looking at that one, it seems ok, will it work with 2
Sipgate accounts..? Has anyone successfully got it working in this
configuration..?

Ivor
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 4:14:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

Ivor:
>Exactly, so how do I get *two* ATA-486's working..? I can only set one IP
>in the DMZ..!

My Sipgate / Babble / FWD connections work without a DMZ being set up,
(using Draytek router).
Regards,
Martin
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 4:19:31 AM

Martin² wrote:
> Ivor:
>> Exactly, so how do I get *two* ATA-486's working..? I can only set
>> one IP in the DMZ..!
>
> My Sipgate / Babble / FWD connections work without a DMZ being set
> up, (using Draytek router).
> Regards,
> Martin

My Netgear router requires the DMZ to be set to the IP of the SIP device.
Anyway I've given up with the ATA-486's now, I'll be getting a Sipura
SPA-2000 which I'm told will do the job. Seen some for a very good price
on eBay..! I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW Sipgate seems to have fallen over at the moment...

Ivor
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 12:26:05 PM

Ivor Jones wrote:

> _T*R*A*P*S*I*H*T*E*V*O*M*E*R*_ okram (Mark Kelly) wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:12:16 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
>><this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote:

>>>That's what I've been *trying* to get working, unsuccessfully. So
>>>I'm thinking of a single 2-port device, can anyone recommend one
>>>that will work with 2 accounts from Sipgate..? They use the same
>>>SIP and STUN servers but require separate login and password
>>>details.
>>>

>>sipura 2000?
>

> Yes I've been looking at that one, it seems ok, will it work with 2
> Sipgate accounts..? Has anyone successfully got it working in this
> configuration..?
>
> Ivor

No.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 5:32:42 PM

"Rick Merrill" <RickMerrill@comcastTHROW.net> wrote in message
news:D qWdncCvJollomPcRVn-3w@comcast.com...
> Ivor Jones wrote:

[snip]

>>>sipura 2000?
>>

>> Yes I've been looking at that one, it seems ok, will it work with 2
>> Sipgate accounts..? Has anyone successfully got it working in this
>> configuration..?
>>
>> Ivor
>
> No.

No as in you haven't got it working or no as in no it can't be done..?

Ivor
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 5:32:43 PM

Ivor Jones wrote:
> "Rick Merrill" <RickMerrill@comcastTHROW.net> wrote in message
> news:D qWdncCvJollomPcRVn-3w@comcast.com...
>
>>Ivor Jones wrote:
>

> [snip]

>>>Yes I've been looking at that one, it seems ok, will it work with 2
>>>Sipgate accounts..? Has anyone successfully got it working in this
>>>configuration..?
>>>
>>>Ivor
>>
>>No.
>

> No as in you haven't got it working or no as in no it can't be done..?
>
> Ivor

I'm skeptical, shall we say, but I'd never say 'never'. First, I'm
certain you have to have an IP for each TA; second, afaik most TA on
the market has the capability (when enabled) to supply 2 lines. third,
most TA must go Between the modem and the router so that it can do QoS
by throttling back traffic other than voice - therefore there can be
only one TA in a configuration (I'm talking about a broadband connection
to home or business). fourth, each TA must be provisioned by the VoIP
supplier by the TA's MAC address.

In other words you're allowed only 1 TA (telephone adapter) imho.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 7:08:52 PM

> Ivor Jones wrote:
>> "Rick Merrill" <RickMerrill@comcastTHROW.net> wrote in message
>> news:D qWdncCvJollomPcRVn-3w@comcast.com...
>>
>>>Ivor Jones wrote:
>>

>> [snip]

>>>No.
>>

>> No as in you haven't got it working or no as in no it can't be done..?
>>
>> Ivor
>
> I'm skeptical, shall we say, but I'd never say 'never'. First, I'm
> certain you have to have an IP for each TA; second, afaik most TA on
> the market has the capability (when enabled) to supply 2 lines. third,
> most TA must go Between the modem and the router so that it can do QoS
> by throttling back traffic other than voice - therefore there can be
> only one TA in a configuration (I'm talking about a broadband connection
> to home or business). fourth, each TA must be provisioned by the VoIP
> supplier by the TA's MAC address.
>
> In other words you're allowed only 1 TA (telephone adapter) imho.

I think you're misunderstanding me here - if the SPA-2000 has 2
individually configurable phone ports then I only *need* one ATA -
presumably the device only presents one IP address to the router..? If
both these are true then it will do what I want. I was only trying to get
2 ATA-486's working because (a) that's what I had and (b) that device only
has a single phone port.

The ATA doesn't *have* to go between the modem and the router, it's ideal
for QoS as you say but if you have a combined modem/router, which is more
common than separate devices, what do you do then..? I have a single
ATA-486 plugged into my Ethernet hub along with several PC's and a printer
server and they all work fine, it's only since adding the 2nd ATA that
problems have arisen, hence my requirement for a device with 2 phone ports
but a single IP address.

I've seen some SPA-2000's on eBay for a reasonable price so I think I'll
take the plunge..!

Ivor
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:57:13 PM

Ivor Jones wrote:
> I've seen some SPA-2000's on eBay for a reasonable price so I think I'll
> take the plunge..!

Be warned that the one I bought on eBay came with UK power supply but
without only RJ11 sockets for the phone connections - I think some
suppliers include adapters, but not all!

John Geddes
Derbyshire
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:38:07 PM

John Geddes wrote:
> Ivor Jones wrote:
>> I've seen some SPA-2000's on eBay for a reasonable price so I
>> think I'll take the plunge..!
>
> Be warned that the one I bought on eBay came with UK power supply
> but without only RJ11 sockets for the phone connections - I think
> some suppliers include adapters, but not all!
>
> John Geddes
> Derbyshire

Adaptors aren't a problem, I have two spare ones here, Maplins sell them
anyway. Or a power supply come to that, I have several pieces of USA
equipment here so there's a 240 > 120V stepdown transformer under the
desk..!

I just hope I can get it working with 2 Sipgate numbers..!

--

Ivor

(replace 'invalid' with 'com' in sending address to reply direct)
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:31:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom (More info?)

In article <36chg2F4v59icU1@individual.net>, Ivor Jones
<ivor@despammed.invalid> Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:38:07 writes

>I just hope I can get it working with 2 Sipgate numbers..!

I have an SPA-3000 with 2 sipgate numbers - works fine.

The unit is connected to a switchboard.
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)