joeshmo39

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
I just built a new computer and everything seems fine, but it won't display. It's booting, all the fans spin, the hard drive whirs, the CPU fan is working, no burning smells. The graphics card is an EVGA 7900 GT and it's connected, seated, and has the extra power. The fan on the card is also spinning fine. The motherboard is issuing us no beeps so we have no clue as to any errors with the motherboard.

It seems to me the graphics card is the difficulty. any suggestions?

supermetfan4

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Also, is there an integrated port fot the monitor on the mother board? Make sure you didnt ruin any of the parts while you were trying to install them, i made that mistake and wound up with the same problem you did.

sadsephiroth

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Does your 7900 say anything about not outputting analog with the adapter? I know some cards/adapters will only output digital even with the adapter. Also, try s video with your dongle to a tv.Or another monitor. Also, just undo everything and redo it. Maybe a bios reset wouldn't hurt either.

joeshmo39

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
I don't see any documentation on whether it outputs DVI, and my monitor is VGA. Fortunatel, I have my new DVI monitor coming in today so I'll be able to check. How would I go about resetting my bios? Just pull the battery, power down, and wait? The s-video is a good idea, so i'll give that a shot.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I don't see any documentation on whether it outputs DVI, and my monitor is VGA. Fortunatel, I have my new DVI monitor coming in today so I'll be able to check. How would I go about resetting my bios? Just pull the battery, power down, and wait? The s-video is a good idea, so i'll give that a shot.

Find the jumper on the motherboard marked Reset CMOS. (Usually JMP1, consult your motherboard manual).

There will be 3 pins. Pins 1-2 wil be covered. Move the cap to pins 2-3 for 10 seconds and then move it back to 1-2. DO NOT POWER THE SYSTEM ON WITH THE CAP ON PINS 2-3. This can destory your motherboard.

Did you turn the monitor on?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry...

I suspect it's not the video card. DVI/VGA adpater should not have any bearing on the machine not posting. Clearing the CMOS might help, but probably not. Does the machine POST? Do you see the POST/Boot screen? You mentioned that you are getting no beeps. Does that mean no beeps at all? At the very least, when the machine begins to POST is should beep to recognize the cpu. If it's not beeping at all, and all the appropraite power connections are made and tight, then reseat the proc, reapply the thermal paste (wipe clean the old stuff...DO NOT reuse the paste already applied!!!!), and reseat the heatsink/fan. I've had this happen to me before and reseating the proc is what worked.

Good luck!

P.S. - In the future, system specs are helpful, i.e.; mobo, proc, ram, etc...

joeshmo39

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Sorry that would have been helpful :)

Pentium D 805
2GB G.Skill RAM DDR2 667MHZ

Geforce 7900GT

The above listed MoBo

I have western digital SATA caviar 3.0GBS 16 MB cache something or other

random generic DVD +-R CD w/e all in one drive

sadsephiroth

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
He didn't say it wasn't posting, he said nothing at all displays. And just cause there is no beep for cpu recognition does not mean that's it not working, alot of boards are silent now if there appears to no prob to the board. So his board thinks he is getting display when he's not, so I'd say it's his connection from card to monitor.

joeshmo39

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
UNBELIEVABLE

It's solved. I got my Viewsonic DVI today and I have a display. It's been running fine so it looks like I'm out of the woods. Craziest thing huh?

sadsephiroth

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
So it was the adapter. There is a difference between dvi-d and dvi, dvi-d can't be sent to analog monitor. And yes, there are digital vga monitors. That's what the adapter is made for. n00b-1, "experts-0". J/K! LOL.