Menkhaf

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
This Saturday is the day that I get to order all of the components for my new system. I'm so excited to be building this computer. Here are a list of the parts I'm going to be getting.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
BFG GeForce 7 7900 GT
Western Digital Raptor 74 GB
Corsair XMS Series 2 GB ( 2 x 1 GB) so I have room for upgrade.
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Plextor PX740A Disk Drive
Ultra ATX Mid-Tower Case
Ultra X2 550 Watt PSU

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
All looks good except one thing: Why socket 939 instead of AM2?

Because unless you to one of highest 3 CPUs AM2 is actually worse than S939 because of the high latecy in DDR2 RAM. AM2 is the most pointless thing since Windows ME.

The_Rev

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006

Because unless you to one of highest 3 CPUs AM2 is actually worse than S939 because of the high latecy in DDR2 RAM. AM2 is the most pointless thing since Windows ME.

I wouldn't call giving yourself a long path for future upgrades "pointless." How much of a performance hit does one take with AM2? (link??)

pixel

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
It looks good,

consider OCZ Platinum 2gb (2x1gb) ram, I'm going with that instead of XMS.. not saying XMS sucks or anything just consider it. check it out on newegg.

also consider ordering at
www.zipzoomfly.com if they have all your parts, in most cases they are cheaper than newegg.com because they don't charge tax in most states, and also has an option to free shipping their parts are little expensive from new egg pricewise but it still cheaper when you get free shipping, and no tax.
idk if newegg charges you tax they charge in NJ and some other states.

and yeah another thing, if you don't care about AM2 and Conroe, you should put that in your topic because just like above some ppl are gonna come and start arguing over them..

Suffix

Distinguished
May 5, 2006

I wouldn't call giving yourself a long path for future upgrades "pointless." How much of a performance hit does one take with AM2? (link??)

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/23/amd_reinvents_itself/page28.html

He was right, unless your going for an FX or a 4800+, as of now the performance gain is marginal or non existant.

sandmannight

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
if its the same performance. Then why wouldnt you go with the newer tech. You wont be able to upgrade a 939 system so go AM2 if you want future upgrades.

nigelf

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006

but by the time he upgrades there will be a new chipset/SLI II; SATA III or whatever, that will force him to by new components anyhow. Also everything in AM2 is in revision 1 so there will be problems