Which sound card do I use? Audigy 2 or Realtek ALC882D?

Richtj99

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Hi,

I have an Asus P5WD2 Premium mobo. It has the Realtek ALC882D internal sound card (8 channel). I have an older SB Audigy 2 that I bought a few years ago. I am about to do a windows reinstall & I am trying to figure out what the better sound card is so I can determine which one to use.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rich

sturm

Splendid
If you dont ahve anything to put the audigy in then go ahead and use it. If its currently being used then my suggestion is to listen to the on-board audio and see if its up to your liking. If not then move the audigy over.
Onboard audio is much better than what it was years ago, but still not as good as the audigy.
It all depends on how you like the sound.

halcyon

Splendid
I agree. Onboard sound is now a lot better than it used to be but I don't think its as good as from a dedicated PCI card (yet, anyways). If you opt to use your Audigy you'll also get the benefit of its Audio Processing Unit relieving your CPU of audio processing, especially in games. ...that may make or not make a noticable difference. The Audigy will also allow you to enjoy EAX in games.

I'd recommend listening to both. If you really can't discern any audible or performance difference you might as well use the onboard sound...but something tells me that if you explore the Audigy's features and DSP you'll prefer it.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Listen to which you prefer (if possible)

Experience tells me that the PCI card would be better, but if you're using crappy speakers then I wouldn't bother.

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Hmmm 24 bit audio vs 12 or 16 bit onboard....

Custom speaker settings with EAX vs non Creative sound.

I've tried both, and the defintion within my Audigy 2 is far more pleasing on the ears. Especially when you chuck in the CMSS2 effects it just blows away any of the onboard stuff I've heard.

As for load away from the CPU, I thought an onboard audio included an audion sound chip. Maybe I've missunderstood, but that should mean negligible difference in CPU load between onboard and PCI......?

Anybody?

linux_0

Splendid
Hmmm 24 bit audio vs 12 or 16 bit onboard....

Custom speaker settings with EAX vs non Creative sound.

I've tried both, and the defintion within my Audigy 2 is far more pleasing on the ears. Especially when you chuck in the CMSS2 effects it just blows away any of the onboard stuff I've heard.

As for load away from the CPU, I thought an onboard audio included an audion sound chip. Maybe I've missunderstood, but that should mean negligible difference in CPU load between onboard and PCI......?

Anybody?

Onboard audio does use chips but not very good ones.

The EMU10k+++ series audio processors used by Creative on their cards are much much better.

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
I have the P5N32 SLII MB and an Audigy 4....

play some mp3s using your AC97 onboard sound

then watch your CPU usage.... its about 10-15%

Install the audigy 4 play some MP3s agan....

watch your cpu usage..... its about 1-3%

use the audigy..... it will demand less system resources, which could otherwise be used for Games!

linux_0

Splendid
I have the P5N32 SLII MB and an Audigy 4....

play some mp3s using your AC97 onboard sound

then watch your CPU usage.... its about 10-15%

Install the audigy 4 play some MP3s agan....

watch your cpu usage..... its about 1-3%

use the audigy..... it will demand less system resources, which could otherwise be used for Games!

Very Tru64 :-D

It will sound better, perform better and use fewer system resources :-D

Damier

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
The $10 might be worth it to you, but I'm guessing that more people than not are using the onboard sound solution.
It's just not viable for someone, like an educational institute, having to add sound cards to their PC's just so people can enjoy a little Flash presentation while they casually browse the internet.

From experience, my Audigy 2 ZS is much, much better than the integrated Realtek ALC850 with Karajan module (DFI); just sounds more clear and natural.
Also, the really subtle signal noise that came from the onboard solution while not listening to anything drove me nuts - justification for upgrading, lolol.

halcyon

Splendid
I'm not sure about this, but I'm imagining educational instituitions ( :D ) are, in general, not giving a rat's-azz about HiFi sound quality coming from a PC...if they do care, they're likely pushing a digital signal to a lovely McIntosh pre-amp/amp that they've purchased with the $30K a year we're paying to attend. ...but they're not using an current generation SoundBlaster and Klipsch iFi's for sure.

linux_0

Splendid
The $10 might be worth it to you, but I'm guessing that more people than not are using the onboard sound solution.
It's just not viable for someone, like an educational institute, having to add sound cards to their PC's just so people can enjoy a little Flash presentation while they casually browse the internet.

From experience, my Audigy 2 ZS is much, much better than the integrated Realtek ALC850 with Karajan module (DFI); just sounds more clear and natural.
Also, the really subtle signal noise that came from the onboard solution while not listening to anything drove me nuts - justification for upgrading, lolol.

What they should do is offer a model with and without onboard sound.

Or put the sound chip on a socket and offer it separately.

:-D

halcyon

Splendid

...kind of...like this....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127207

linux_0

Splendid

...kind of...like this....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127207

Ya :-D

Kinda like that except non-proprietary :D

jamiemb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I work as a sound designer in the game industry and i will tell you this. If you have aa premium mobo then onboard sound will be perfectly fine. Forget about that 16/24 bit crap from audigy...any games you play will only have 16 bit audio assets to begin with so it won't matter. Your onboard can probably play 24 bit files anyway. As for eax, your onboard audio will use EAX 2.0...yeah they have eax 5 now but your audigy 2 probably only supports up to 3.0 which wont be that different from 2.0

If you are planning to record with this sound card then it becomes a different issue. If you want good quality recordings buy something like the m-audio audiophile 24/96.

Onboard audio is clean, simple, stable and will sound as good as an AUDIGY 2.

Don't be fooled people...onboard audio is absolutley fine for gaming.

halcyon

Splendid
I don't know if that PCI-express card is really proprietary... it looks like it's just a PCI-express sound card, the first I've seen...and it's actually got an SPDIF Optical output. I almost bought that board but I'm glad I got the A8N-SLi Premium

Sonic_Reducer

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
i don't know that on board audio, but i have a live platinium a true oldie but still performs very nice with a full bass and a very good saoun quality comparable to smoe onboard audio.

so my advice, stick with the audigy

linux_0

Splendid
I work as a sound designer in the game industry and i will tell you this. If you have aa premium mobo then onboard sound will be perfectly fine. Forget about that 16/24 bit crap from audigy...any games you play will only have 16 bit audio assets to begin with so it won't matter. Your onboard can probably play 24 bit files anyway. As for eax, your onboard audio will use EAX 2.0...yeah they have eax 5 now but your audigy 2 probably only supports up to 3.0 which wont be that different from 2.0

If you are planning to record with this sound card then it becomes a different issue. If you want good quality recordings buy something like the m-audio audiophile 24/96.

Onboard audio is clean, simple, stable and will sound as good as an AUDIGY 2.

Don't be fooled people...onboard audio is absolutley fine for gaming.

Thank you for your input but I respectfully disagree :-D

Onboard sound suffers from interference, noise, has significantly higher CPU utilization and usually terrible drivers.