New System No Monitor Signal

onggie

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005
Hi,
I am having problems with a system I built for a friend, the system is as follows;

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G1975X-C
CPU: Intel Pentium D 930 Processor
HDD: Western Digital SATAII 250GB 16MB 7200RPM
GPU: Gigabyte 7800GT
PSU: Silverstone ST60F 650W Modular Power Supply
RAM 2x: Corsair VS1GB667D2 1GB Value Select PC-5300 DDR2 RAM

He is using a Diamond Digital 19" LCD 8ms, now everything is connected up but when I power on the computer the monitor doesn't wake up, it stays in standby mode. The monitor works as I have tested it on other computers and so does the GPU. I am not sure why the monitor is not turning on.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

onggie

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005
I took everything out and reconnected everything, the power is connected to the card. I will check the jumpers out ASAP.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Check the jumpers, but also (sounds stupid, but) check the video card is seated properly. Quite a few times this has happened to me - some cases/cards seem to have ever so slightly different heights on the card slots.

onggie

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005
It is seated alright, just that the the part closest to the bracket is a tiny bit higher than the other side of the card. But this has happen to me before and it hasn't effected the computer in anyway.

onggie

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005
Ok so I figured out why the monitor wasn't turning on, the ATX 12v connections is what I forgot to plug i :S. But now I am still having problems, the computer doesn't even get to the part that tells you what devices it recongises, I can't even enter the bios and the computer just resets its self. Sometimes it will get through it all showing me what is connected to the motherboard and I am able to goto to the bios. But that has only happen twice.

linux_0

Splendid
Is the system producing any beep codes?

What about the POST codes on the POST Reporter LEDs????

Have you checked the brass standoffs to make sure they not shorting anything out?

Try the board outside the case on a non-conductive surface.

onggie

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005
The bios doesn't beep and the codes same it's fine, I have tried the mobo out of the case and that didn't solve it.

linux_0

Splendid
The bios doesn't beep and the codes same it's fine, I have tried the mobo out of the case and that didn't solve it.

Have you tried all the different memory slots using 1 DIMM at a time?

Swap the power supply?

Try another PCI-E or plain old PCI VGA.

Test it with another CPU if possible.

onggie

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005
Tried everything except for the last one, that is quite impossible for me. Tried swaping the RAM around and that didn't solve the problem.

Also just had a look at the LED which tells me what it is doing on POST and the computer stops on error 52h: Test all memory (clear all extended memory to 0) and then it resets it's self.

linux_0

Splendid
Tried everything except for the last one, that is quite impossible for me. Tried swaping the RAM around and that didn't solve the problem.

Also just had a look at the LED which tells me what it is doing on POST and the computer stops on error 52h: Test all memory (clear all extended memory to 0) and then it resets it's self.

Do you have any other memory sticks to try it with?

The memory, motherboard or CPU could be toast, incompatible or flaky.

Then again it might be something else...

Updating the BIOS may help but obviously you have to get the system working well enough to flash the BIOS...

Sometimes you have to use a different CPU / RAM / etc to update the BIOS to get it working with a newer or unsupported CPU / RAM / etc.

You can usually order a flashed BIOS online for $20 or so.

onggie

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005
I don't think anyone I know I can test with because they all use DDR no DDR2.

I just tried just booted the computer again and it came up with this

CMOS Checksum error - defaults loaded

I have no clue what that means.

linux_0

Splendid
I don't think anyone I know I can test with because they all use DDR no DDR2.

I just tried just booted the computer again and it came up with this

I have no clue what that means.

This means the BIOS was probably reset or lost it's settings. Or automatic overclocking may have failed... it depends.

Is it working now with the default settings?

onggie

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005
No, I just unplugged a DVD rom and it works, I am installing Windows now. I'll have to wait and see what happens after it is installed.

linux_0

Splendid
No, I just unplugged a DVD rom and it works, I am installing Windows now. I'll have to wait and see what happens after it is installed.

To test for stability and make sure everything works, I would suggest you memtest your system for 8-12 hours ( overnight )

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/memtest86-ISO-burning-HOWTO-ftopict230767.html

Or if you need to burn it under windows follow these instructions:

Download

http://memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

+

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/download/ISORecorderV2RC1.msi

Unzip memtest86 and record the ISO to a CDR with ISORecorder ( you must have XP SP2 ).

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/HowTo.htm

Also you could try running Knoppix and see if you have any stability issues.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V4.0.2DVD-2005-09-23-EN.iso

also prime95 should help test for stability too http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

:-D

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Well I think so it is now saying DISK Boot faliure insert system disk. So I guess I will try put on Windows XP.
As you could already guess, these are both actually good signs.

As I try to extol its virtues of ever chance I get, and as linux_0 said as well, make sure to test your base system for stability with memtest, prime, lucifer, and disk diagnostic tools. All of which can be found on the ultimate boot cd. Also, you really should download and burn a linux liveCD, knoppix or otherwise, as it can serve 2 purposes straightaway: you have the ability to help yourself and others retrieve data from a downed and unbootable Windows install (they all end up that way :D) and you can give a new OS a spin.

linux_0

Splendid
Well I think so it is now saying DISK Boot faliure insert system disk. So I guess I will try put on Windows XP.
As you could already guess, these are both actually good signs.

As I try to extol its virtues of ever chance I get, and as linux_0 said as well, make sure to test your base system for stability with memtest, prime, lucifer, and disk diagnostic tools. All of which can be found on the ultimate boot cd. Also, you really should download and burn a linux liveCD, knoppix or otherwise, as it can serve 2 purposes straightaway: you have the ability to help yourself and others retrieve data from a downed and unbootable Windows install (they all end up that way :D) and you can give a new OS a spin.

Yup :-D

Knoppix is the Swiss Army Knife of Live CDs ;-)

It's also available on DVD :-D

The ultimate boot cd is kewl too!