Windows XP - Log-In Not Working

One afternoon everything was working fine, now when I log
in to any user at the welcome screen, it goes for 2-3
seconds then says 'saving settings' and automatically logs
off. Unsure how to proceed.
8 answers Last reply
More about windows working

    Hi,

    Run a spyware cleaner lately? The userinit value may have been corrupted by
    the removal of blazefind. It adds wsaupdater.exe to the logon value in the
    system registry, sometimes appending it, sometimes replacing it. Running
    Adaware or other cleaners detects and removes wsaupdater.exe, but doesn't
    correct the registry damage. If this is the case, then you may need to load
    the registry hive from another installation and change it. This is the key:

    Userinit string value should be:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

    On the damaged installations it's one of these:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe,
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe,

    Another "quickie" method of resolution is to load the Recovery Console (see
    below), copy userinit.exe as wsaupdater.exe from the command prompt, then
    restart normally. Once in, go and change the registry value back to what
    it's supposed to be and delete the copied file. To do this, use these
    commands:

    C:\Windows>
    C:\Windows>copy C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\wsaupdater.exe

    Then you can exit once completed.

    HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

    This can also be done by using the 6 disk boot floppy set mentioned in the
    above article, as it loads enough of the Recovery Console so that you can
    copy the file. This is particularly useful if you have an OEM installation
    that includes only a Restore CD, or no disk at all.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "pcoc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > One afternoon everything was working fine, now when I log
    > in to any user at the welcome screen, it goes for 2-3
    > seconds then says 'saving settings' and automatically logs
    > off. Unsure how to proceed.

    Hi,

    I have exactly the same problem that happened to me
    today!!!!And of course right when i needed it too, just
    before a presentation i had to give...Were you able to
    find out the solution to it or what caused this to happen??

    Thanks,
    Brendan

    Hi Rick,

    Thanks for That! I followed your instructions and the log-
    in problem is now fixed...

    Thanks again!!

    Brendan

    Dear Rick,

    I have the same problem, but when I checked the system32
    directory, I don't have the wsaupdater.exe file. Any other
    fixes?

    I ran the norton antivirus 2004 to check for adwares, but
    it could not delete a LOT of the adwares it found. There
    were some I manually deleted, could that have caused the
    problem?

    Also, I cannot check the registry as I can only access my
    hard disk using the installer CD, then going to the dos
    prompt.

    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

    >Userinit string value should be:
    >
    >C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,
    >
    >On the damaged installations it's one of these:
    >
    >C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe,
    >C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32
    \wsaupdater.exe,

    >"pcoc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >> One afternoon everything was working fine, now when I
    log
    >> in to any user at the welcome screen, it goes for 2-3
    >> seconds then says 'saving settings' and automatically
    logs
    >> off. Unsure how to proceed.
    >

    >.

    > My previous post said
    I have the same problem, but when I checked the system32
    directory, I don't have the wsaupdater.exe file. Any other
    fixes?

    I finally did a repair install, after reading a ton of
    support bbs. So there is no actual wsaupdater.exe file and
    it only shows up in the registry?

    Saw it finally after I finished the repair install and
    could access the registry.

    I wish I had read your response before addressing this issue on my own. I
    had this same problem happen to me about 3 weeks ago. In my initial search I
    read an article that said to "Repair your windows installation using the
    Repair Console". I took this approach and half way through the repair a
    message box popped up that said it could not find a file. I put the Windows
    XP CD into another computer, found the file (since the popup did not have a
    browse feature) and then typed in the path. Unfortunately it said it still
    could not find the file. I tried every drive letter to no avail. So I HAD
    to exit the "repair". Then each time I booted it would enter the
    "installation" step and prompt me for the location of the file that it was
    looking for.

    Anyway, I gave up and installed XP on another HD and started from scratch.
    Not a bad thing to do anyway. The major problem now is when I try to view
    the HD that failed, Explorer shows no files unless I enable hidden/system
    files. Then the whole HD is an array of TEMP folders and files with no
    discernable names.

    Would you possibly know how to recover the data off the HD? There are
    configuration files, children pictures, emails, documents, etc. that I would
    like to recover from the HD. Any information other than "you're hosed" would
    be helpful.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Another "quickie" method of resolution is to load the Recovery Console (see
    > below), copy userinit.exe as wsaupdater.exe from the command prompt, then
    > restart normally. Once in, go and change the registry value back to what
    > it's supposed to be and delete the copied file. To do this, use these
    > commands:

    Hi Marlene,

    The problem is that the file is not there, but the logon routine is looking
    for it. Copying the userinit.exe file as wsaupdater.exe creates a "fake"
    file that allows the logon to finish. Then you can get in and fix the
    damage.

    --

    "Marlene" <marlene_nv@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Dear Rick,
    >
    > I have the same problem, but when I checked the system32
    > directory, I don't have the wsaupdater.exe file. Any other
    > fixes?
    >
    > I ran the norton antivirus 2004 to check for adwares, but
    > it could not delete a LOT of the adwares it found. There
    > were some I manually deleted, could that have caused the
    > problem?
    >
    > Also, I cannot check the registry as I can only access my
    > hard disk using the installer CD, then going to the dos
    > prompt.

    Hi,

    Doesn't sound unrecoverable, but you may need to take it to someone who
    knows what they are doing. If you see nothing but a bunch of .chk files, it
    will take quite some time to recover data.

    --

    "Scootrose" <Scootrose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I wish I had read your response before addressing this issue on my own. I
    > had this same problem happen to me about 3 weeks ago. In my initial
    > search I
    > read an article that said to "Repair your windows installation using the
    > Repair Console". I took this approach and half way through the repair a
    > message box popped up that said it could not find a file. I put the
    > Windows
    > XP CD into another computer, found the file (since the popup did not have
    > browse feature) and then typed in the path. Unfortunately it said it
    > still
    > could not find the file. I tried every drive letter to no avail. So I
    > HAD
    > to exit the "repair". Then each time I booted it would enter the
    > "installation" step and prompt me for the location of the file that it was
    > looking for.
    >
    > Anyway, I gave up and installed XP on another HD and started from scratch.
    > Not a bad thing to do anyway. The major problem now is when I try to view
    > the HD that failed, Explorer shows no files unless I enable hidden/system
    > files. Then the whole HD is an array of TEMP folders and files with no
    > discernable names.
    >
    > Would you possibly know how to recover the data off the HD? There are
    > configuration files, children pictures, emails, documents, etc. that I
    > would
    > like to recover from the HD. Any information other than "you're hosed"
    > would
    > be helpful.
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Another "quickie" method of resolution is to load the Recovery Console
    >> (see
    >> below), copy userinit.exe as wsaupdater.exe from the command prompt, then
    >> restart normally. Once in, go and change the registry value back to what
    >> it's supposed to be and delete the copied file. To do this, use these
    >> commands:

Login Microsoft Windows XP