HP Laserjet 3P has vertical black streaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everytime I print something I get black streaks down the middle of the
paper.

I am using OEM HP non-remanufactured cartridges.
Changing the toner cartridge does not help.
I have replaced the fuser assembly aprox 1000 pages ago Service 50
error.
I am not getting any "Service XX" errors on the console.
I have tested pins 1 and 3 on both sides of the fuser and they are
within spec: one side is less than 10 ohms and the other is aprox 200K
ohms.
The fuser does not look scratched as far as I can tell
There is no toner build on the fuser but there is build up on the green
part of the toner cartridge, it can be cleaned but it returns (I have
tried 3 toner cartridges all have the same problem.)

The transfer roller is the original, it doesn't look the greatest but
it doesn't look that bad. I'm guessing this is the problem. Has
anyone had this problem?

Thank you.

FeliX

check the high voltage contacts, left inside the printer

<poison_1024@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
> Everytime I print something I get black streaks down the middle of the
> paper.
>
> I am using OEM HP non-remanufactured cartridges.
> Changing the toner cartridge does not help.
> I have replaced the fuser assembly aprox 1000 pages ago Service 50
> error.
> I am not getting any "Service XX" errors on the console.
> I have tested pins 1 and 3 on both sides of the fuser and they are
> within spec: one side is less than 10 ohms and the other is aprox 200K
> ohms.
> The fuser does not look scratched as far as I can tell
> There is no toner build on the fuser but there is build up on the green
> part of the toner cartridge, it can be cleaned but it returns (I have
> tried 3 toner cartridges all have the same problem.)
>
> The transfer roller is the original, it doesn't look the greatest but
> it doesn't look that bad. I'm guessing this is the problem. Has
> anyone had this problem?
>
> Thank you.

They seem "ok" as far as I can tell, not bent or anything, no build up
on them.

FeliX

bent them to make closer contact
or replace by new ones

On 8 Mar 2005 21:03:02 -0800, poison_1024@yahoo.com wrote:

>Everytime I print something I get black streaks down the middle of the
>paper.
>
>I am using OEM HP non-remanufactured cartridges.
>Changing the toner cartridge does not help.
>I have replaced the fuser assembly aprox 1000 pages ago Service 50
>error.
>I am not getting any "Service XX" errors on the console.
>I have tested pins 1 and 3 on both sides of the fuser and they are
>within spec: one side is less than 10 ohms and the other is aprox 200K
>ohms.
>The fuser does not look scratched as far as I can tell
>There is no toner build on the fuser but there is build up on the green
>part of the toner cartridge, it can be cleaned but it returns (I have
>tried 3 toner cartridges all have the same problem.)
>
>The transfer roller is the original, it doesn't look the greatest but
>it doesn't look that bad. I'm guessing this is the problem. Has
>anyone had this problem?
>
>Thank you.

Hi...

Have you tried cleaning the corona wires? There should be one right
after the registration roller assembly and one in the toner certridge.
I use alcohol and a cotton swab. If you have a user manual it should
tell you how in there, or check on HP's web site. Hmmm... does this
one even have corona wires? don't remember now! Still a good cleaning
of the printer couldn't hurt either!

WNY

I had read that the IIIp does not have a corona wire and instead has a
"transfer roller." The five manuals that came with it just say to use
the toner cleaner paper. I have basically cleaned everything I
possible could. There just doesn't appear to be much toner anywhere.
I can clean the excess toner off of the cartridge but after a few
sheets of paper it comes right back (in the same place.)

joel

poison_1024@yahoo.com wrote:

> Everytime I print something I get black streaks down the middle of the
> paper.
>
> I am using OEM HP non-remanufactured cartridges.
> Changing the toner cartridge does not help.
> I have replaced the fuser assembly aprox 1000 pages ago Service 50
> error.
> I am not getting any "Service XX" errors on the console.
> I have tested pins 1 and 3 on both sides of the fuser and they are
> within spec: one side is less than 10 ohms and the other is aprox 200K
> ohms.
> The fuser does not look scratched as far as I can tell
> There is no toner build on the fuser but there is build up on the green
> part of the toner cartridge, it can be cleaned but it returns (I have
> tried 3 toner cartridges all have the same problem.)
>
> The transfer roller is the original, it doesn't look the greatest but
> it doesn't look that bad. I'm guessing this is the problem. Has
> anyone had this problem?
>
> Thank you.

I don't own HP laser printer to know exactly what the toner/drum look
like, but I guess they are similar in general. And I am not an experted on
laser, but some experience with my own (and do some reading here and there
to make me sometime look smarter than I really am <g>).

Believe me or not it your choice, and it only happened to me ONCE to
confirm it will work every time or will solve the problem. And I will try
to give as much detail as I know (very little). And I assume that there is
no scatch on the drum's roller.

1. Why it happens? It's very possible that it may happen after a JAM that
leaves something on some part of the roller or scanner (whatever I don't
know).

2. If you look at the roller of the drum, you may see some toner stay on the
roller. You can clean it with soft stuff like tissue (just be very gentle
not to scratch it). You will need to remove the toner cartridge to see
the drum's roller

3. On TOP of the toner cartridge, you may see a small SLIDER. Just slide it
Left/Right about 20-30 times, then put the SLIDER back to the original
place.

I have Brother laser printer, and the Slider is on the LEFT-SIZE and you
may see a small arrow to remind you which size to move to (I don't know if
it works if I leave on the right size or not, I never tried to know for
sure). The slider on my Brother looks like this
____________________________________

/ \ <=- Slider
|< |==================================

To slide the slider Left/Right to clean some information/stuff somewhere
inside the cover.

Good luck, and please report the result so we can learn from our own
experience.

On 17-Mar-2005, Joel@NoSpam.com (Joel) wrote:

> > The fuser does not look scratched as far as I can tell
> > There is no toner build on the fuser but there is build up on the green
> > part of the toner cartridge, it can be cleaned but it returns (I have
> > tried 3 toner cartridges all have the same problem.)

I have an HP with HP OEM cartridges. Firstly it sounds like
the cartridge, do the lines come at roughly the same place
with each cartridge, if so it looks as if something is damaging/
scratching the drum. HP say power off in mid-print to stop
the paper between print unit and fuser. Then you know it's
before the fuser. As your drum collects a line of black which
can be wiped off it's probably there. Not sure what a light block
in the laser beam (eg a hair or bit of dust) does. Take apart
section of manuals say how to clean the mirror. If it's
the cartridge HP have a lifetime warranty, they replaced mine.

joel

ato_zee@hotmail.com wrote:

> On 17-Mar-2005, Joel@NoSpam.com (Joel) wrote:
>
> > > The fuser does not look scratched as far as I can tell
> > > There is no toner build on the fuser but there is build up on the green
> > > part of the toner cartridge, it can be cleaned but it returns (I have
> > > tried 3 toner cartridges all have the same problem.)
>
> I have an HP with HP OEM cartridges. Firstly it sounds like
> the cartridge, do the lines come at roughly the same place
> with each cartridge, if so it looks as if something is damaging/
> scratching the drum. HP say power off in mid-print to stop
> the paper between print unit and fuser. Then you know it's
> before the fuser. As your drum collects a line of black which
> can be wiped off it's probably there. Not sure what a light block
> in the laser beam (eg a hair or bit of dust) does. Take apart
> section of manuals say how to clean the mirror. If it's
> the cartridge HP have a lifetime warranty, they replaced mine.

Yeah! "FUSER" was what I try to say but just can't come up with the word
at the moment. It probably happened when the printer jams, then some
information or toner (whatever I don't know) get to the fuser which causes
vertical line. Even if you wipe off the toner on the drum's roller, the
line will come back until you clean/clear the FUSER.

And that's what the SLIDER does, and the fuser should be cleaned/cleared
after sliding the Slider back/forth 20-30 times.

Youheardme

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
The problem has nothing to do with the cartridge or anything in it. I discovered that a piece of lint clung to the back behind the cartridge and every time the laser passes through the lint, it scatters the laser beam and causes steaks. When I pulled it off, the big streak was reduced to a very faint one. The final problem is the laser reflecting glass that may have a streak or warping. I'm still trying to find out exactly what is causing it. When I fix the problem for good, I'll post again.

Jae