• 15 %
  • Never heard of it happening before
  • 47 %
  • Can generally be blamed on User Error
  • 40 %
May 26, 2006 1:35:49 PM

Hey guys,
I just came back from breakfast to a motherboard that was on fire....My
Asus P4P800 seems to have commited suicide and the entire area around the USB ports and fairly close to my P4 CPU is all charred and black. I have 2 GB DDR Ram, ATI X800TI Vid card, SB live 5.1 platinum sound card, and am looking for suggestions on a replacement motherboard. I cant spend too much, but i wanna get a new heatsink for my CPU while im at it. so ideas for both...my system created lots of heat previously, so I am thinking a fresh case with more fan slots and more efficient power supply as well. but I really need input on a good motherboard as I have been away from looking at hardware upgrades for about a year now, and dont know whats the hot stuff out there. I am an avid gamer so I demand a lot from my rig, as well as the quietest operation possible.

Thanks for your time fellas (and ladies),
-Banana Split

More about : omg computer combusted

May 26, 2006 2:22:16 PM

Quote:
my system created lots of heat previously

thats sounds like the understatement of the century!
May 26, 2006 3:00:14 PM

That sounds so awesome! Much more awesome when I took an M80 and blew up a computer from '95.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 26, 2006 3:17:48 PM

I have heard of PSU's shooting sparks and shrapnel (my friend needed 7 stiches) but never a mobo catching fire. Im guessing that you probably dont want another asus (ive never had problems). Look on newegg, they have a variety of socket 478 mobos from MSI, Gigabyte, Epox, etc. from about $50-$100 that should perform like your old asus. As for the heatsink, i would go with a Zalman product. I have one on my CPU (9500) and Vid card (vf900). They can be a little pricey but ther are good products.

I hope you have better luck with this mobo and that the fire didnt damage any other parts.

Cheers!
May 27, 2006 10:38:57 PM

i had a haddrive catch on fire.........the chip just went boom and flames..oh the flames T_T

but luckly no other damage :L and it was just a backup 10gig HDD..but i lost all my music....
May 27, 2006 11:27:40 PM

8O
May 27, 2006 11:58:16 PM

wow...
tats actually a pretty amazing thing to hear about a mobo catching on fire..

ive never seen, or even heard of mobo catching on fire... but i guess that cna happen if you do not clean your comp.
May 28, 2006 12:16:13 AM

8O

If that was a prescott
its broken in now !
and should be ready to overclock.

:lol: 
a b V Motherboard
May 28, 2006 7:00:01 AM

To put a positive spin on this, at least nothing else was set on fire in your home.
May 28, 2006 8:31:23 AM

I had an Ampzilla 1000W/ch. amplifier burn my curtains once... The amp lived, but had to replace the curtains. (Damned expensive, curtains...)

I've had a few tantallium caps go off like small calibre shells...

Never had a MB do more than smoke.... Wish you had pics!

Bet your replacement cost is less than the afore-mentioned curtains.
May 28, 2006 11:28:50 AM

Now is your chance to upgrade to a socket 939 :-D

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 open box = $44.66
939 3000+ = $106

$Total = $150.66 Delivered

$Result = Happiness(); # :-D

This board supports real 8X AGP, full 16X PCI-E, SATA2 and is upgradeable to AM2 and it will use your existing DDR until you're ready to upgrade.

I had a board almost catch on fire btw, so it does happen.
May 28, 2006 12:34:32 PM

Quote:
I have heard of PSU's shooting sparks and shrapnel (my friend needed 7 stiches) but never a mobo catching fire.

What? You never heard of the "Enhanced Gaming Experience (TM)" feature? Fire, smoke, explosions, blood and sudden death, all to make your gaming even more realistic!

May 28, 2006 12:56:55 PM

Quote:
I have heard of PSU's shooting sparks and shrapnel (my friend needed 7 stiches) but never a mobo catching fire.

What? You never heard of the "Enhanced Gaming Experience (TM)" feature? Fire, smoke, explosions, blood and sudden death, all to make your gaming even more realistic!

:lol:  :lol: 

Quote:

i've heard of people burning in hardware but never so literally Razz

i would go with linux's suggestion and get a cheap 9399 board. their prices should fall pretty soon now that they will need to clear their stocks.

:lol:  :-D
May 28, 2006 2:48:13 PM

Back in 9th grade electrical class (basically building computers 101) we had many of them catch fire. Most of them dude to faulty installing (what do you expect it was a bunch of 14 and 15 year old kids?) and the others were set fire to using an extremely high power supply (not a computer powersupply, a 30v dc powersupply). That was years ago, I haven't heard of anything of the such since. If I were to guess, I'd guess that your motherboard was shodily installed.
May 28, 2006 3:24:48 PM

It is not very common for a pc to go up in flames, It was most likely a component failure of some kind. Or it could possibly have been a power surge.

In order for it to be operator error, and forgive me for saying this, but you would have had to do something incredibly stupid.
May 28, 2006 4:02:11 PM

I had seen many p4p800 users experiencing hardware issues with the usb controller (in the Intel ICH5R southbridge chip), mainly the problem is about the southbridge to burn with a hole in it... and appears that the "burning" is fired up by some external storage enclosures and other usb devices without proper groundind and/or isolation and is caused by a deffect on the motherboard design (of course, asus blames it's an Intel problem).

This includes almost all the p4p800 models and p4c800 (the most affected, the p4p800s deluxe, p4p800-e deluxe and the p4c800-e deluxe).

Check out this: http://abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84122

And this: http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=68658
!