GeForce brands

Garion

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
What is the difference between BFG, EVGA, XFX, Jaton, etc over one sold by nVida?

Looking for a solid reliable workhorse that can handle OpenGL with ease, as it seems my 128mb ATI Radeon 9600 can't handle Second Life for crud. It'll run but with a ton of lag, no matter if I use new drivers or even the Omega 3rd party drivers.

But I don't have a ton of money to spend neither. Looking at these FX5500 and FX5700 but with all these brands to choose from and me so old I remember when nothing quite run like a Sound Blaster (Back to when Sound Blaster came in ISA only, yes, that long ago. :D ) and it's psudo wanna bes ran like junk, I tend to shy toward genuine nVida sold GeForce, but, am I wrong? :D

Garion

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
NVidia makes GPUs that they sell to those companies you were asking about... you can't buy an NVidia branded card... don't believe me? Go to www.nvidia.com and see if you buy one of their products? Nope... they'll redirect you to sites and companies that do offer them. NVidia makes the GPU and those companies buy them and incorporate them into their products.

ATI is a little different... last I checked ATI still does sell ATI branded cards... but a lot of other companies (Sapphire for one) sells graphics cards with ATI GPUs.

Rhynn

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
Heard GREAT things about evga. Supposedly they have a 3 year warranty that covers all aspects of the cards, including overclocking of your hardware, plus the 90 day step-up program that promises to buy back your card at cost (minus shipping) and apply it to your next card. Should make it easier to move from dx9 to dx 10 cards that way assuming you stayed with evga.

Garion

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Then the cards that don't specify who they are, just label it a nVida GeForce, I should avoid? And of those who make nVida chipped cards, who is the best, EVGA? Thanks!

Garion

NVidia makes GPUs that they sell to those companies you were asking about... you can't buy an NVidia branded card... don't believe me? Go to www.nvidia.com and see if you buy one of their products? Nope... they'll redirect you to sites and companies that do offer them. NVidia makes the GPU and those companies buy them and incorporate them into their products.

ATI is a little different... last I checked ATI still does sell ATI branded cards... but a lot of other companies (Sapphire for one) sells graphics cards with ATI GPUs.

Garion

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Nvidia-Geforce-FX5500-256MB-AGP-8X-w-DVI-OUT_W0QQitemZ8816964213QQcategoryZ40161QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

See a name anywhere but nVida ? Yes, I am that lacking of funds right now. I could give ya a sob story about being stuck on jury duty (true, and they only pay 15$ a day) but ya won't want to hear it but yes, this is were I am looking, and yes, there are cards with out any name but nVida like the above one.

Garion

I'm not aware of any unbranded cards with NVidia GPUs... guess it's possible. As-is, most people on those forums seem to approve of BFG, eVGA and maybe even XFX.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Nvidia-Geforce-FX5500-256MB-AGP-8X-w-DVI-OUT_W0QQitemZ8816964213QQcategoryZ40161QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

See a name anywhere but nVida ? Yes, I am that lacking of funds right now. I could give ya a sob story about being stuck on jury duty (true, and they only pay 15$ a day) but ya won't want to hear it but yes, this is were I am looking, and yes, there are cards with out any name but nVida like the above one.

Garion
That's not exactly a current-generation card... most people consider NVidia's FX series of GPUs to be their low point... not exactly cards they're proud of... if you're looking for something in that price range, why not look for similar ATI offerings from that same period. Just a suggestion.

4745454b

Titan
Stay away from the 5200/5500. Your 9600 is more powerful. The 5700 should be the lowest to look for, but you shouldn't bother with those 5X00 cards. Grab a 6600GT if you can get the ~$140 together. These cards are faster then the 9800pro.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Ya a troubled one kind of reminds me of a date I once had she was soo much of a tease, you think I could get her pants off walking with a frozen hot dog in my hands all night.

Garion

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Trying to get away from ATI as I need an OpenGL work horse for SL. With my current ATI 9600 SL lags at the best of times, at the worse of times it freeze lags where the whole program stops responding for a few seconds then lets up and repeats. And this is with the newest drivers. I hear that ATI has the worse OpenGL support around and the GeForces kick it's ass into the next centry. So a 6600? Ok, let me see... Thanks!

Garion

Good price, but, doesn't say which brand of board it is... :p

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nvidia-Geforce-FX6600-256MB-AGP-6600-256-Video-Card-V49_W0QQitemZ8818549626QQcategoryZ40161QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Or for a little more get it new. :D

http://www.pcsupplysource.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VGAAG-EV-66002

Though I might spend a little more and get a third party heat sink/fan combo for the GPU. The one on it looks a little flimsy?

Of course, I'd be appreciative for any recommendations on what to use for a 3rd party heat sink / fan? Zalman looks cool but not compatable. Actually, not easy to find any compatable with the 6600, 6800 tons of them, but not 6600... :p