VOIP/Vonage/DSL Noob has DSL Questions

Last response: in Networking
Share
January 23, 2005 1:02:13 PM

Hi,

I'll soon be moving outside the range of local cable broadband and will
have to switch to DSL. Will my new Vonage account work over the DSL line
while my PC is off? The folks that I know that use DSL must log into their
account in order to get Internet access (web browsing, P2P'ing, email,
etc). Is the same true for VOIP'ing?

BTW, I've purchased Linksys's WRT54GS "Broadband Router with Speed
Booster". Any opinoins on it inconjunction with DSL and VOIP?

Thanks
--
hfk
hfk_list@--REMOVE-THIS--cox.net

frank wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'll soon be moving outside the range of local cable broadband and will
> have to switch to DSL. Will my new Vonage account work over the DSL line
> while my PC is off? The folks that I know that use DSL must log into their
> account in order to get Internet access (web browsing, P2P'ing, email,
> etc). Is the same true for VOIP'ing?
>

> BTW, I've purchased Linksys's WRT54GS "Broadband Router with Speed
> Booster". Any opinoins on it inconjunction with DSL and VOIP?
>
> Thanks

VoiceWing from Verizon uses DSL.

The VoIP TA (telephone adapter) goes between the modem and the
router.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 4:45:26 PM

Far as I know you'll have to find a way to switch your modem to do PPPoe
instead of bridge mode. In other words you modem has to enter the login &
password instead of software.

"frank" <hfk@cox.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'll soon be moving outside the range of local cable broadband and will
> have to switch to DSL. Will my new Vonage account work over the DSL line
> while my PC is off? The folks that I know that use DSL must log into
> their
> account in order to get Internet access (web browsing, P2P'ing, email,
> etc). Is the same true for VOIP'ing?
>

> BTW, I've purchased Linksys's WRT54GS "Broadband Router with Speed
> Booster". Any opinoins on it inconjunction with DSL and VOIP?
>
> Thanks
> --
> hfk
> hfk_list@--REMOVE-THIS--cox.net
> MS Messenger ID: hfk_anon@--REMOVE-THIS--cox.net
January 23, 2005 11:07:09 PM

frank wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'll soon be moving outside the range of local cable broadband and will
> have to switch to DSL. Will my new Vonage account work over the DSL line
> while my PC is off? The folks that I know that use DSL must log into their
> account in order to get Internet access (web browsing, P2P'ing, email,
> etc). Is the same true for VOIP'ing?
>

> BTW, I've purchased Linksys's WRT54GS "Broadband Router with Speed
> Booster". Any opinoins on it inconjunction with DSL and VOIP?
>
> Thanks

It should still continue to work. I would be more worried that if you
currently don't have a PSTN line from the phone monopoly that you will
be required to have one. I know that in a large area of the country, the
phone company won't sell you what is called naked DSL.

As for how it works with DSL, one of two different ways to set it up
usually. 1) Attach your LinkSys router to the DSL device and configure
your router to log into the DSL PPPoE. Then, attach your VoIP ATA to the
router. In addition, that Linksys model is supposed to have QoS built in
(with later firmwares), and you configure it so that the VoIP ATA gets a
certain amount of bandwidth even if you're downloading a lot. 2) The
other option is to configure your VoIP ATA to handle the PPPoE log in.
Some ATAs actually provide the service of a NAT device so that you can
attach a computer, router or switch to the ATA.

If I were you, I would choose #1.

Tom
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 11:07:10 PM

Tom Grelinger wrote:
> frank wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'll soon be moving outside the range of local cable broadband and will
>> have to switch to DSL. Will my new Vonage account work over the DSL line
>> while my PC is off? The folks that I know that use DSL must log into
>> their
>> account in order to get Internet access (web browsing, P2P'ing, email,
>> etc). Is the same true for VOIP'ing?
>>

>> BTW, I've purchased Linksys's WRT54GS "Broadband Router with Speed
>> Booster". Any opinoins on it inconjunction with DSL and VOIP?
>>
>> Thanks
>

> It should still continue to work. I would be more worried that if you
> currently don't have a PSTN line from the phone monopoly that you will
> be required to have one. I know that in a large area of the country, the
> phone company won't sell you what is called naked DSL.

I think you're right. Besides, DSL basicly includes a PSTN, yes? But the
cost of LD can be 0 with VoIP.
January 23, 2005 11:07:10 PM

Thanks guys, very helpful, just the sort of info I was looking for. hadn't
thought of the router establishing the connection, and certainly didn't
know about the bandwidth limiting feature you speak of. I was wondering
about just that sort of thing.

--
!