Removing attachment icon from body text

When I send an attachment with an email in Outlook (eg selected from My
Documents), it appears as an icon in the body of the email text, when I would
much prefer it to be represented as an attachment line up with the other
header information ie subject, recipients etc. I'm sure I'm missing a very
simple cure for this, but I haven't found it yet!
6 answers Last reply
More about removing attachment icon body text

    Insert | File Attachment

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:81F40D76-1231-4E07-870F-31870AB08354@microsoft.com,
    pauliner <pauliner@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > When I send an attachment with an email in Outlook (eg selected from
    > My Documents), it appears as an icon in the body of the email text,
    > when I would much prefer it to be represented as an attachment line
    > up with the other header information ie subject, recipients etc. I'm
    > sure I'm missing a very simple cure for this, but I haven't found it
    > yet!

    Sorry, but this doesn't help really - it gives me an icon in body text
    exactly as before. By contrast, when I put an attachment into an OE email
    message in my desktop's Windows 98 SE system the name of the attachment is
    shown neatly in an attachment box under the subject box in the headers,
    leaving the body of the email text free of floating attachment icons.
    Similarly, when I receive an email with an attachment on my laptop (where I
    have XP Pro and use Outlook 2002) the name of the attachment(s) and size(s)
    are in a neat line in the headers and not floating around in the body of the
    email. So what I'm after is just to be able to send an email with
    attachment(s) from my laptop and see the name(s) of the attachment(s) neatly
    in an attachment box up with the headers, rather than have the attachment
    icons floating around in the body of the email text. I'd assumed that perhaps
    there was a format choice somewhere between the two methods of showing the
    attachment, which I hadn't been able to locate - but perhaps it isn't as
    simple as that?

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Insert | File Attachment
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:81F40D76-1231-4E07-870F-31870AB08354@microsoft.com,
    > pauliner <pauliner@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > When I send an attachment with an email in Outlook (eg selected from
    > > My Documents), it appears as an icon in the body of the email text,
    > > when I would much prefer it to be represented as an attachment line
    > > up with the other header information ie subject, recipients etc. I'm
    > > sure I'm missing a very simple cure for this, but I haven't found it
    > > yet!

    Sorry. I misread your first post and thought you were talking about Outlook
    Express not Outlook. I know nothing about Outlook.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:4286AD7A-6DE1-45AD-AB9E-6433AFAA990E@microsoft.com,

    Wesley Vogel wrote:
    : Sorry. I misread your first post and thought you were talking about
    : Outlook Express not Outlook. I know nothing about Outlook.
    :
    Use paperclip icon and choose attach file. This will open an attachment
    line and list the file you choose.
    TonyS

[...]
    ::
    :: "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    ::
    ::: Insert | File Attachment
    :::
    ::: --
    ::: Hope this helps. Let us know.
    ::: Wes
    :::
    ::: In news:81F40D76-1231-4E07-870F-31870AB08354@microsoft.com,
    ::: pauliner <pauliner@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    :::: When I send an attachment with an email in Outlook (eg selected
    :::: from My Documents), it appears as an icon in the body of the email
    :::: text, when I would much prefer it to be represented as an
    :::: attachment line up with the other header information ie subject,
    :::: recipients etc. I'm sure I'm missing a very simple cure for this,
    :::: but I haven't found it yet!

    Thanks for your suggestion, Tony, but it didn't work. However, I then had an
    idea stemming from another discovery - attachments sent from my laptop (XP
    Pro, Outlook 2002) to my desktop (98SE, OE 6) aren't openable - all
    apparently due to Outlook in rich text mode sending them as winmail.dat files
    which OE can't handle. Surprise, surprise, my Outlook is by default in rich
    text mode and that still causes the icon problem I've been complaining about.
    When I switch to HTML or plain text mode, hey presto the attachment line
    appears and my icon problem goes away!! Sorted!

    pauliner wrote:
    : Thanks for your suggestion, Tony, but it didn't work. However, I then
    : had an idea stemming from another discovery - attachments sent from
    : my laptop (XP Pro, Outlook 2002) to my desktop (98SE, OE 6) aren't
    : openable - all apparently due to Outlook in rich text mode sending
    : them as winmail.dat files which OE can't handle. Surprise, surprise,
    : my Outlook is by default in rich text mode and that still causes the
    : icon problem I've been complaining about. When I switch to HTML or
    : plain text mode, hey presto the attachment line appears and my icon
    : problem goes away!! Sorted!
    Great. Thanks for posting.
    TonyS
    :
    : "TonyS" wrote:
    :
    :: Wesley Vogel wrote:
[...]
    ::::
    :::: "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    ::::
    ::::: Insert | File Attachment
    :::::
    ::::: --
    ::::: Hope this helps. Let us know.
    ::::: Wes
    :::::
    ::::: In news:81F40D76-1231-4E07-870F-31870AB08354@microsoft.com,
    ::::: pauliner <pauliner@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    :::::: When I send an attachment with an email in Outlook (eg selected
    :::::: from My Documents), it appears as an icon in the body of the
    :::::: email text, when I would much prefer it to be represented as an
    :::::: attachment line up with the other header information ie subject,
    :::::: recipients etc. I'm sure I'm missing a very simple cure for this,
    :::::: but I haven't found it yet!

Email Windows XP