wheres the heat difference?

klaklakla

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
ive overclocked my 6600gt (pci-e) from 500/1000 to 575/1075 with stock cooling.

before i overclocked my 6600gt, my core temp was idle at around 37-38c. after 3dmark 05, its temp was somewhere around 58c.

after i overclocked, the core idle temp was the same. after 3dmark 05, its temp was somewhere around 58 to nearly-60-ish.

im checking my temps usin teh nvidia 91.28 beta forceware's control panel. i check my temps by taking a look at the temps that are graphed when 3dmark was running.(i leave the control panel open while 3dmark is doin its thing)

do these temps sound just about right? if so, i'll continue to juice my 6600gt a bit further.

and this leads me to another question- what causes the lifespan of a video card to shorten? is it just the temperature that wears it out? or something else.

yeah.. im a newb. >.>

heat and overclocking definitly play into a video card's life span.... Those temps seem just a little bit high.... but given the clocks you've set they aren't really unexpected. If you want them to run a little cooler at those speeds, pick up some Arctic Silver 5 and apply it to the GPU core. However, you should ONLY do this if your card's warranty has expired, or if you don't care if it has expired or not....

Like me for instance.... i've done this recently, and my card's warranty doesn't expire for another 3 months. I saw the idle temp of the core drop 8C after applying AS 5, and the load temp (again of the core) drop 4C.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
heat and overclocking definitly play into a video card's life span.... Those temps seem just a little bit high.... but given the clocks you've set they aren't really unexpected. If you want them to run a little cooler at those speeds, pick up some Arctic Silver 5 and apply it to the GPU core. However, you should ONLY do this if your card's warranty has expired, or if you don't care if it has expired or not....

Like me for instance.... i've done this recently, and my card's warranty doesn't expire for another 3 months. I saw the idle temp of the core drop 8C after applying AS 5, and the load temp (again of the core) drop 4C.

From reviews i've seen, your temps sound pretty good actually. Especially

since you're overclocked.

klaklakla

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
ok. thx for the feedback everyone.
i just raised my clockspeed to 590-1090, and i think ill leave it at about that (unless someone has some suggestions.. anyone?)

at this clockspeed, idle is 37-38 and loaded is 65.

thx again