Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

OK, thanks to all who gave advice so far. I went to the computer meet today,
and came away with a price for the following system. First I'll list what I
already have, then I'll list what the new system will have. Can someone
please advise if the new system is a worth while upgrade to get better
performance from FS 2004?

Have Now.
Pentium 4 1500Mhz
D850GB Motherboard
128Meg Rambus Ram
nVidia Geforce2 MX/MX 400 (64 Meg)
Ensoniq sound card (lists as SB PCI but uses drivers for Ensoniq according
to serial and model numbers.)
40Gig HDD
DVD ROM Drive

New System
Athlon 64 3000+
GA-8KT890-9 motherboard (if that means anything?)
512GB Ram
X300 Video card
Use existing soundcard
200 Gig HDD, plus keep old 40 Gig HDD
DVD +-RW Burner

Price built for new system with new case is $725. I can upgrade the video
card to a X700PRO for an extra $150, plus get Windows XP home for $125.

Does this sound like a good deal? Will it play FS 2004 with decent slider
levels? Currently I have all sliders virtually all the way to the left.

John Ward, if your offer to give me a buzz is still good, I'd love to have a
voice conversation about systems if possible. Thanks.

Advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

william

"Chris" <me@you.nospam> wrote in message
> OK, thanks to all who gave advice so far. I went to the computer meet
> today,
> and came away with a price for the following system. First I'll list what
> already have, then I'll list what the new system will have. Can someone
> please advise if the new system is a worth while upgrade to get better
> performance from FS 2004?
>
> Have Now.
> Pentium 4 1500Mhz
> D850GB Motherboard
> 128Meg Rambus Ram
> nVidia Geforce2 MX/MX 400 (64 Meg)
> Ensoniq sound card (lists as SB PCI but uses drivers for Ensoniq according
> to serial and model numbers.)
> 40Gig HDD
> DVD ROM Drive
>
> New System
> Athlon 64 3000+
> GA-8KT890-9 motherboard (if that means anything?)
> 512GB Ram
> X300 Video card
> Use existing soundcard
> 200 Gig HDD, plus keep old 40 Gig HDD
> DVD +-RW Burner
>
> Price built for new system with new case is $725. I can upgrade the video
> card to a X700PRO for an extra $150, plus get Windows XP home for $125.
>
> Does this sound like a good deal? Will it play FS 2004 with decent slider
> levels? Currently I have all sliders virtually all the way to the left.
>
> John Ward, if your offer to give me a buzz is still good, I'd love to have
> voice conversation about systems if possible. Thanks.
>
> Advice appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Chris

Chris,

I dont know much about the Athlon processor, but I had an X300 and went to
the X700 pro and the difference was remarkable. So yes I would definitely
make that change along with going to XP.

Bill

the graphic cards are total bottem end, especialy the X300. It will probably
not be much faster than your current gfx card. A 9800pro would be faster
than a X300, however thats AGP only and its a PCIexpress system you are
getting... What about an X800XL 256mb?? how much they cost over there?

1024mb ram improves FS2004's performance alot, especialy if you have loads
of addons! I found FS2004 unplayable with 512mb ram, after an hour or so the
planes would turn white, and all the ground textures go blury.

the KT890 is a VIA chipset which is "ok" it doesnt support X2's but i dont
think you really mind that since a X2 costs more than your whole budget!!
Nforce4 chipset board would be better. Like an Asus A8N-E

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

"Chris" <me@you.nospam> wrote in message
> OK, thanks to all who gave advice so far. I went to the computer meet
> today,
> and came away with a price for the following system. First I'll list what
> already have, then I'll list what the new system will have. Can someone
> please advise if the new system is a worth while upgrade to get better
> performance from FS 2004?
>
> Have Now.
> Pentium 4 1500Mhz
> D850GB Motherboard
> 128Meg Rambus Ram
> nVidia Geforce2 MX/MX 400 (64 Meg)
> Ensoniq sound card (lists as SB PCI but uses drivers for Ensoniq according
> to serial and model numbers.)
> 40Gig HDD
> DVD ROM Drive
>
> New System
> Athlon 64 3000+
> GA-8KT890-9 motherboard (if that means anything?)
> 512GB Ram
> X300 Video card
> Use existing soundcard
> 200 Gig HDD, plus keep old 40 Gig HDD
> DVD +-RW Burner
>
> Price built for new system with new case is $725. I can upgrade the video
> card to a X700PRO for an extra $150, plus get Windows XP home for $125.
>
> Does this sound like a good deal? Will it play FS 2004 with decent slider
> levels? Currently I have all sliders virtually all the way to the left.
>
> John Ward, if your offer to give me a buzz is still good, I'd love to have
> voice conversation about systems if possible. Thanks.
>
> Advice appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Chris

While you are doing this, don't settle for less than I Gb RAM, 512 is not
really enough for FS9 and thus I doubt it will do for FS10 when it comes.

Sincerely Quilljar

'Fly Navy, sail Air Force and shoot Pongoes'

>> Chris,
Thinking about it. It seems a lot of money for what you are getting. Looking
on the web a Dell games machine wd be better value. If you are getting it
built, I wonder if you should get some more quotes for a more powerful
machine?

--
Sincerely Quilljar

'Fly Navy, sail Air Force and shoot Pongoes'

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Your new system sure will have plenty of ram anyway lol

"Chris" <me@you.nospam> wrote in message
> OK, thanks to all who gave advice so far. I went to the computer meet
> today,
> and came away with a price for the following system. First I'll list what
> already have, then I'll list what the new system will have. Can someone
> please advise if the new system is a worth while upgrade to get better
> performance from FS 2004?
>
> Have Now.
> Pentium 4 1500Mhz
> D850GB Motherboard
> 128Meg Rambus Ram
> nVidia Geforce2 MX/MX 400 (64 Meg)
> Ensoniq sound card (lists as SB PCI but uses drivers for Ensoniq according
> to serial and model numbers.)
> 40Gig HDD
> DVD ROM Drive
>
> New System
> Athlon 64 3000+
> GA-8KT890-9 motherboard (if that means anything?)
> 512GB Ram
> X300 Video card
> Use existing soundcard
> 200 Gig HDD, plus keep old 40 Gig HDD
> DVD +-RW Burner
>
> Price built for new system with new case is $725. I can upgrade the video
> card to a X700PRO for an extra $150, plus get Windows XP home for $125.
>
> Does this sound like a good deal? Will it play FS 2004 with decent slider
> levels? Currently I have all sliders virtually all the way to the left.
>
> John Ward, if your offer to give me a buzz is still good, I'd love to have
> voice conversation about systems if possible. Thanks.
>
> Advice appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Chris

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Does this look like the motherboard I've been quoted?

ASUS K8 FX+ VIA KT890 AMD K8 Socket 939 FSB1000 discrete Motherboard

Quoted board was a GA-8KT890-9 motherboard. All looks the same except
perhaps should have been written as GA-K8KT890????

Write up on it at this address,
http://www.jump.co.za/Products/Product.asp?ProductCode=PR120463
but it all means nothing to me. Can anyone explain it please? Is it a good
board?

Sorry for the ignorance.
Chris

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!
"Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> the graphic cards are total bottem end, especialy the X300. It will
> probably not be much faster than your current gfx card. A 9800pro would be
> faster than a X300, however thats AGP only and its a PCIexpress system you
> are getting... What about an X800XL 256mb?? how much they cost over there?
>
> 1024mb ram improves FS2004's performance alot, especialy if you have loads
> of addons! I found FS2004 unplayable with 512mb ram, after an hour or so
> the planes would turn white, and all the ground textures go blury.
>
> the KT890 is a VIA chipset which is "ok" it doesnt support X2's but i dont
> think you really mind that since a X2 costs more than your whole budget!!
> Nforce4 chipset board would be better. Like an Asus A8N-E
>
> --
> From Overlag - Adam Webb
>

> "Chris" <me@you.nospam> wrote in message
>> OK, thanks to all who gave advice so far. I went to the computer meet
>> today,
>> and came away with a price for the following system. First I'll list what
>> already have, then I'll list what the new system will have. Can someone
>> please advise if the new system is a worth while upgrade to get better
>> performance from FS 2004?
>>
>> Have Now.
>> Pentium 4 1500Mhz
>> D850GB Motherboard
>> 128Meg Rambus Ram
>> nVidia Geforce2 MX/MX 400 (64 Meg)
>> Ensoniq sound card (lists as SB PCI but uses drivers for Ensoniq
>> according
>> to serial and model numbers.)
>> 40Gig HDD
>> DVD ROM Drive
>>
>> New System
>> Athlon 64 3000+
>> GA-8KT890-9 motherboard (if that means anything?)
>> 512GB Ram
>> X300 Video card
>> Use existing soundcard
>> 200 Gig HDD, plus keep old 40 Gig HDD
>> DVD +-RW Burner
>>
>> Price built for new system with new case is $725. I can upgrade the video
>> card to a X700PRO for an extra $150, plus get Windows XP home for $125.
>>
>> Does this sound like a good deal? Will it play FS 2004 with decent slider
>> levels? Currently I have all sliders virtually all the way to the left.
>>
>> John Ward, if your offer to give me a buzz is still good, I'd love to
>> have a
>> voice conversation about systems if possible. Thanks.
>>
>> Advice appreciated.
>> Thanks,
>> Chris

GA-8KT890-9 is a gigabyte board....

That Asus, is again a K8T890 board which isnt the best.....but will "do"

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

"Chris" <me@there.com.au> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> DVD ROM Drive
>>>
>>> New System
>>> Athlon 64 3000+
>>> GA-8KT890-9 motherboard (if that means anything?)
>>> 512GB Ram
>>> X300 Video card
>>> Use existing soundcard
>>> 200 Gig HDD, plus keep old 40 Gig HDD
>>> DVD +-RW Burner
>>>
>>> Price built for new system with new case is $725. I can upgrade the
>>> video
>>> card to a X700PRO for an extra $150, plus get Windows XP home for $125.
>>>
>>> Does this sound like a good deal? Will it play FS 2004 with decent
>>> slider
>>> levels? Currently I have all sliders virtually all the way to the left.
>>>
>>> John Ward, if your offer to give me a buzz is still good, I'd love to
>>> have a
>>> voice conversation about systems if possible. Thanks.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

So, is the Asus board the better one, or the Gigabyte one is better?
Chris
> GA-8KT890-9 is a gigabyte board....
>
> That Asus, is again a K8T890 board which isnt the best.....but will "do"
>
> --
> From Overlag - Adam Webb
>
> "Chris" <me@there.com.au> wrote in message
> > Does this look like the motherboard I've been quoted?
> >
> > ASUS K8 FX+ VIA KT890 AMD K8 Socket 939 FSB1000 discrete Motherboard
> >

> > Quoted board was a GA-8KT890-9 motherboard. All looks the same except
> > perhaps should have been written as GA-K8KT890????
> >
> > Write up on it at this address,
> > http://www.jump.co.za/Products/Product.asp?ProductCode=PR120463
> > but it all means nothing to me. Can anyone explain it please? Is it a
good
> > board?
> >
> > Sorry for the ignorance.
> > Chris
> >

> > --
> > I'm not always right,
> > But I'm never wrong!
> > "Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> the graphic cards are total bottem end, especialy the X300. It will
> >> probably not be much faster than your current gfx card. A 9800pro would
> >> be faster than a X300, however thats AGP only and its a PCIexpress
system
> >> you are getting... What about an X800XL 256mb?? how much they cost over
> >> there?
> >>
> >> 1024mb ram improves FS2004's performance alot, especialy if you have
> >> loads of addons! I found FS2004 unplayable with 512mb ram, after an
hour
> >> or so the planes would turn white, and all the ground textures go
blury.

> >> the KT890 is a VIA chipset which is "ok" it doesnt support X2's but i
> >> dont think you really mind that since a X2 costs more than your whole
> >> budget!! Nforce4 chipset board would be better. Like an Asus A8N-E
> >>
> >> --
> >> From Overlag - Adam Webb
> >>

> >> "Chris" <me@you.nospam> wrote in message

>So, is the Asus board the better one, or the Gigabyte one is better?

ASUS or others rather get a board with an nForce chipset rather than a
VIA...

===
All the best!
Katy Pluta

they both use the same chipset so will perform the same. I myself prefer
Asus, however i never had a gigabyte either.

What im saying is a NFORCE4 chipset would be best, not the VIA K8T890 that
your quoting....However the difference would be marginal

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

> So, is the Asus board the better one, or the Gigabyte one is better?
> Chris
> "Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
>> GA-8KT890-9 is a gigabyte board....
>>
>> That Asus, is again a K8T890 board which isnt the best.....but will "do"
>>
>> --
>> From Overlag - Adam Webb
>>
>> "Chris" <me@there.com.au> wrote in message
>> > Does this look like the motherboard I've been quoted?
>> >
>> > ASUS K8 FX+ VIA KT890 AMD K8 Socket 939 FSB1000 discrete Motherboard
>> >

>> > Quoted board was a GA-8KT890-9 motherboard. All looks the same except
>> > perhaps should have been written as GA-K8KT890????
>> >
>> > Write up on it at this address,
>> > http://www.jump.co.za/Products/Product.asp?ProductCode=PR120463
>> > but it all means nothing to me. Can anyone explain it please? Is it a
> good
>> > board?
>> >
>> > Sorry for the ignorance.
>> > Chris
>> >

>> > --
>> > I'm not always right,
>> > But I'm never wrong!
>> > "Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> system

> hour
> blury.

> someone

> $125.

> left.

G'day Chris ,
You can get a 9800 card for AU $149 at present. I am
running one now ( new comp ready tomorrow) with an XP2400 processor and 1GB
(2 x 512 MB) Geil RAM ( approx AU$130 ) . I installed FS9 today , maxed out
all the sliders , and with default scenery , got 23-35 FPS coming into YSSY.
( Frame rate set at 50 ). I was very surprised , as I had heard that FS 9
was hard to run with everything maxed out. That sounds like a pretty good
budget system to me , just make sure that your PSU is able to supply enough
power. 400 Watts should do the trick nicely. Good luck with it .

Ross
"Chris" <me@you.nospam> wrote in message
> OK, thanks to all who gave advice so far. I went to the computer meet
> today,
> and came away with a price for the following system. First I'll list what
> already have, then I'll list what the new system will have. Can someone
> please advise if the new system is a worth while upgrade to get better
> performance from FS 2004?
>
> Have Now.
> Pentium 4 1500Mhz
> D850GB Motherboard
> 128Meg Rambus Ram
> nVidia Geforce2 MX/MX 400 (64 Meg)
> Ensoniq sound card (lists as SB PCI but uses drivers for Ensoniq according
> to serial and model numbers.)
> 40Gig HDD
> DVD ROM Drive
>
> New System
> Athlon 64 3000+
> GA-8KT890-9 motherboard (if that means anything?)
> 512GB Ram
> X300 Video card
> Use existing soundcard
> 200 Gig HDD, plus keep old 40 Gig HDD
> DVD +-RW Burner
>
> Price built for new system with new case is $725. I can upgrade the video
> card to a X700PRO for an extra $150, plus get Windows XP home for $125.
>
> Does this sound like a good deal? Will it play FS 2004 with decent slider
> levels? Currently I have all sliders virtually all the way to the left.
>
> John Ward, if your offer to give me a buzz is still good, I'd love to have
> voice conversation about systems if possible. Thanks.
>
> Advice appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Chris

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I sent the guy an email asking for clarification and he has confirmed that
the GA-K8VT890-9 is indeed the board he was referring to. Apparently the
model he wrote was an old one they used to use, but it's not available
anymore.

He also said that the X700PRO he specified was the 256Meg card and not a
128Meg card which I believe I saw on the net it is available in both setups.

He said I'd have to spend around $250 on a dedicated sound card to get a
better one than the 7.1 onboard sound on the motherboard.

The DVD burner is a 16x dual layer burner.

It will all be put in a 450W ATX case w/f USB.
200GB HD + existing 40gb
Athlon64 939 3000+

Upping the Ram to 1Gig (512x2 running dual channel - What does that mean??)
makes the system $1060 with Windows XP Home.

This price includes him building it, as I'm sure I'd blow one or more parts
if I did it myself.

How does the price sound people? If it's a matter of 'You should be able to
get it for about $50 cheaper in Melbourne, I'm not worried. If the same
system could be bought for say $100 or more less, I'd be interested in
knowing where.

Thanks,
Chris