sap

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
hi friends

I am using Dell dimension 5150,in that i have removed
dell hard disk,and i am connecting new samung hard disk (power cable & ribbon cable)
(and i have removed master pin also from hard disk).since CD-rom is acting as master.
And in boot sequence i have changed the order
1. Onboard Or USB CD-ROM drive
2.Onboard IDE hard drive.
3. Onboard or USB Floppy drive.
4. Onboard SATA drive.

now i will place the cd in CD-rom and restart
but i am unable to get ...boot from CD why?
where is the mistake...

hi friends

I am using Dell dimension 5150,in that i have removed
dell hard disk,and i am connecting new samung hard disk (power cable & ribbon cable)
(and i have removed master pin also from hard disk).since CD-rom is acting as master.
And in boot sequence i have changed the order
1. Onboard Or USB CD-ROM drive
2.Onboard IDE hard drive.
3. Onboard or USB Floppy drive.
4. Onboard SATA drive.

now i will place the cd in CD-rom and restart
but i am unable to get ...boot from CD why?
where is the mistake...

Actually your HDD if its an IDE HDD needs to be the Master preferably on the Primary IDE by itself, with the CDROM as Master of the Secondary IDE.

What OP/SYS are you attempting to load?

Since you're trying to use a non Dell HDD, you probably need to clear the CMOS to remove Dells info, but write down the CMOS settings cause you'll need to re-enter them.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Master/slave settings shouldn't matter at all in your case. I almost said "don't" but some motherboards/ IDE devices have weird quirks and don't behave as they should.

However the best performance would be obtained if both IDE devices were masters on seperate channels. At the very least reverse the master slave relationship.

So definately change the settings although it "shouldn't" fix your problem.

In your sistuation the first questions I would ask myself are
1) Is the CD actually bootable, have I managed to successfully boot it in another PC?
2) Is the Optical drive functioning properly, when was the last time I tested it?

Also many bootable CD give you a brief window in which you must press a key to boot from the CD instead of the hard drive.

PS Often there is usually a key you can press to get a boot menu that overides the CMOS settigns and lets you select the boot device from a menu.

Usually Esc or F12.