IVAO/VATSIM, Just to look

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

Hi,

Is it possible to join Vatsim or IVAO but not actually fly but rather see
what is going on.
The shy one in me, (read bad pilot), would rather sit at the end of a busy
runway and see/hear what is going on.

Or maybe fly around without actually 'been seen' by ATC.

Is it possible to do that?

Many thanks.

Simon

william

"Simon" <spambucket@example.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to join Vatsim or IVAO but not actually fly but rather see
> what is going on.
> The shy one in me, (read bad pilot), would rather sit at the end of a busy
> runway and see/hear what is going on.
>
> Or maybe fly around without actually 'been seen' by ATC.
>
> Is it possible to do that?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Simon

Speaking for VATSIM observing as a pilot is ok, but not flying around
without being seen by ATC. Once airborne the transponder must be off standby
(or Mode C active) so you can be seen.

You may however park at a terminal and listen and observe while the
transponder is on standby, and you should be ok. To save on the excessive
number of these type of connections, 30 minute observing sessions are
acceptable. If you sit for hours on end a supervisor will most likely ask
you to disconnect. This is to reduce clutter and save on network bandwidth.
Also if you sit near a runway ensure that you are well clear of it and not
obstructing traffic. Maybe type something in your flight plan remarks that
you are observing.

Bill