Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Bill Gates: Windows 8 Will Spearhead Personal Computing

Last response: in News comments
October 23, 2012 10:42:18 PM

Hope you're right bill. Everyone has been bashing on features of win8 that make it seems like nobody wants it, but I hope they'll prove us wrong
Score
October 23, 2012 10:46:41 PM

If they havent named what is so great about Win8 then nothing is that great about WIn8..
Score
Related resources
October 23, 2012 11:01:22 PM

He states as he watches the value of his stock.
Score
October 23, 2012 11:22:15 PM

cushgodIf they havent named what is so great about Win8 then nothing is that great about WIn8..

He did name what was great about it; it brings all the platforms under one OS, which makes it easier to share between your desktop, table and phone.
Score
October 23, 2012 11:26:22 PM

bak0nHe states as he watches the value of his stock.

Uh huh. I'm sure a guy who could lose 80% of his net worth today and wake up tomorrow still worth over $12 billion is so concerned about MS stock prices that he would formulate bogus opinions about Windows 8 to manipulate the stock price.

I will agree with what cushgod said though. If Windows 8 is so revolutionary why is that everyone who says this speaks in such generic generalities? How about telling us specifically why it is revolutionary. What features will spearhead the direction of future personal computing?
Score
October 23, 2012 11:27:29 PM

Spearhead - right through the heart.
Score
October 23, 2012 11:32:53 PM

bystanderHe did name what was great about it; it brings all the platforms under one OS, which makes it easier to share between your desktop, table and phone.

But, in order to get there the still dominant platform (the PC) had to take a huge step backwards in usability. What MS has done is a put a lift kit and huge offroad tires on a Ferrari and claimed to make a universal vehicle that is both an exotic supercar and an offroading monster. Only problem is they completely ruined the original supercar they started with to achieve that goal.
Score
Anonymous
October 23, 2012 11:34:25 PM

Windows 8 will Spearhead it's users in the A$$, and be the driving force behind a third non M$ or Apple O$ operating system for desktops and laptops. Win8METRO will keep windows 7 alive for at least as long as XP was and is. Bill the former appears more like bill the cat (ACK) trying to cough up the hairball that is the windows 8 ecosystem.
Score
October 23, 2012 11:41:26 PM

Wait..has he SEEN windows 8?

I could see him onstage, giving keynotes to an OS he hasn't seen yet, going:
"AS you can see windows 8 is a new step forward in the world of computing (clicks button to bring up display behind him and turns around)
"I present Windows 8! its faster, more responsive, and it has....it has......sorry seems we are having a technical error, someone has put windows phone GUI instead of windows 8 up on the screen, one moment"

(walks off stage with mic still on)
"What? thats IS windows 8? you sure? ....really now...what the hell IS that? What was you guys doing while I was gone? How am I suppose to spin this to sell??"
Score
October 23, 2012 11:43:10 PM

kinggremlinBut, in order to get there the still dominant platform (the PC) had to take a huge step backwards in usability. What MS has done is a put a lift kit and huge offroad tires on a Ferrari and claimed to make a universal vehicle that is both an exotic supercar and an offroading monster. Only problem is they completely ruined the original supercar they started with to achieve that goal.

I fully believe the majority of complaints is largely based on a lack of familiarity, not useability. As humans, we resist change, and given that the Windows platform hasn't changed much in how it's used in the last 20 years, it makes it even worse. However, after some adjustment period, most people will forget things even changed.

Granted, there are a few things that will be annoying still, but many of those things will be adjusted over time, in updates, or the next OS.

At least that is how I'm going to approach things this time around.
Score
October 23, 2012 11:46:13 PM

bystanderHe did name what was great about it; it brings all the platforms under one OS, which makes it easier to share between your desktop, table and phone.

kinggremlinBut, in order to get there the still dominant platform (the PC) had to take a huge step backwards in usability. What MS has done is a put a lift kit and huge offroad tires on a Ferrari and claimed to make a universal vehicle that is both an exotic supercar and an offroading monster. Only problem is they completely ruined the original supercar they started with to achieve that goal.

Yes!
Score
October 23, 2012 11:52:19 PM

Tablets can't multi-task nearly as well as PCs... a facet that Win 8 seems to embrace (no desktop). It is a confusing commitment to a very specialized device. Windows is as dominant as it is largely due to its prominence in the professional environment... I don't know many people with company sponsored tablets. The amount of capital invested implies that I don't understand the market, but I can't see Win 8 as the future... unless I sit down to watch TGN.
Score
October 24, 2012 12:00:57 AM

KInggremlin, I wish I could rate your comment up to 20!
Score
October 24, 2012 12:16:03 AM

Have an option to disable Metro and you might have something
Score
October 24, 2012 12:23:16 AM

Orly?
Score
October 24, 2012 12:23:45 AM

You know with his money he is got to be smokin' some good stuff !!!

Ahhhh,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha!!!!

Sorry just couldn't resist !!

jer :) 
Score
October 24, 2012 12:27:43 AM

No, it will throw a spear IN the head of personal computing.
Score
Anonymous
October 24, 2012 12:30:28 AM

as long as I can use win+r I'll be fine. I haven't used the start button in ages.
Score
October 24, 2012 1:33:03 AM

don't know about any of you people that are saying windows8 is not going to take off clearly have not used. ive been using it for few months now and it is fantastic, tbh when you are using it on a desktop computer its not really any different to win7 just has some little nice features and is a lot quicker. I think once people start using it they will get over their resistance to change and start to see how good it is
Score
October 24, 2012 1:37:21 AM

gtownhoyaas long as I can use win+r I'll be fine. I haven't used the start button in ages.

that's so old fashioned you don't need so many key strokes, you only need to push the win key and start typing, does the same thing just not in its own text box. but if you like pushing extra keys yes you can still do it. and that's the point I use it at work every day and I would not see the metro interface more than a couple of times a week
Score
Anonymous
October 24, 2012 1:46:28 AM

Interviewer: Err Bill, You know that the Slate CPU is not binary compatible with Intel.
Bill: yes
Interviewer: And you know that the Slate is very slow
Bill: ohh err.. but it boots up fast.
Interviewer: Yes Bill we know it does not fully load the O/S to display the M$ interface.
Interviewer: How are the M$ shares going Bill?>
Bill: Great, Fantastic. M$ is the BEST.
Interviewer: Gee Bill, I have never seen you sweat and squirm so much. Do you need a Pill?
Score
October 24, 2012 1:46:29 AM

skyjoggerdon't know about any of you people that are saying windows8 is not going to take off clearly have not used. ive been using it for few months now and it is fantastic, tbh when you are using it on a desktop computer its not really any different to win7 just has some little nice features and is a lot quicker. I think once people start using it they will get over their resistance to change and start to see how good it is

So is this your blanket assumption to assume since you like something, and that others that doesn't hasn't tried it? Way to strawman the argument in your favor.

I've both tried it at home for 2 weeks, and in the work environment on a virtual server for a month. Neither me, or any of our dept could get use to it. using it in any scope beyond facebooking and checking mail was horrible.

Try using it as an actual IT workstation or terminal..with 2 dameware windows open, an RDP connection, FTPing and network transferring files..and it feels you spend more time toggling UI screens than doing work.

If it helps you understand any better. In my line of work I work with Wall street journal, Washington Post, USA today, and a few other big US newspapers. And not ONE of them are planning to move to 8/2012 server anywhere in their company. They hate its 'reinvent the wheel' GUI. sure you can get use to it..but try being the helpdesk for 600 machines, and giving them all a GUI thats alien to them..and see how much you like repeating "you will get use to it..give it time".
So if the trend for any company I know refusing to even touch it is an indication..then its in for a rough time, as corporations adaptation as historically (for windows versions) its main draw to acceptance on the whole.
Score
October 24, 2012 2:10:13 AM

Unless it comes as a free upgrade from windows 7, I dont think I can find any reason to upgrade it. windows 8 is pure garbage to windows 7 user. I better off spending that money elsewhere like buying a game or upgrade RAM.
Score
October 24, 2012 2:14:05 AM

Me thinks they just afraid to jump in to the deep end of the pool and commit to an OS strictly for the tablet market.
Score
October 24, 2012 2:36:22 AM

I bet Bill has not been using the Surface RT model......
Score
October 24, 2012 2:36:35 AM

tinmannMe thinks they just afraid to jump in to the deep end of the pool and commit to an OS strictly for the tablet market.

Me thinks you are an iBoy.
Score
October 24, 2012 2:37:20 AM

Spearhead personal computing? He talks like this is 1982 and we are just learning about computers with all the "gee wiz" factors. News flash: personal and business computing has grown up and it's the consumers that tells the Microsofts of the world what we need and want, not the other way around.
Score
October 24, 2012 2:50:01 AM

I'm using it right now. It's taking some time to get used to but they're really onto something here. To me the issue is it feels like there's lack of freedom and control. I like to throw my windows around and you can't do that with any of the apps AFAIK. I wanted to have the video app running a commentary and IE 10 (tried desktop too) and it didn't seem possible to have both sharing 50% of the screen. One takes like 15% and the other the remainder 85%. I couldn't have 3 apps on screen either. What if I want Skype, IE and a radom productive program running? I can't. I don't have more than one monitor so god knows how that's like. I like the look of the new Windows, I like that it performs better but I want absolute freedom of what I do with my programs. I don't even care that there's no start menu, I wanna throw my windows around. Sure I can do that in desktop mode but then there's little reason for me to upgrade since W7 does that well already. Like I said, I do believe MS are onto something and yes they just might spearhead personal computing into a new, inevitable era where efficiency isn't necessarily lost. There's a lot of room to improve. Perhaps the cycle will repeat again and Windows 9 will be the OS that changes everything, for the better. It probably won't bring back start menu but I hopeit bings back that absolute freedom of control we've had. If you're using Windows 8 you should definitely try to give as much feedback and explain how you would like to see X thing work so you're more efficient.
Score
October 24, 2012 2:56:18 AM

I'm still worried about M$'s entry into the app store game. When is Steam for Linux coming out again?
Score
Anonymous
October 24, 2012 4:11:51 AM

For 2 days I have been hands-on with Windows 8 and I can confidently say that everything Bill has said is the next best thing. Users have more control over everything and the apps make everything cleaner, more managable, and faster to multi-task. And let's not forget to mention the vastly improved Task Manager. You truly have control over everything now!
Score
Anonymous
October 24, 2012 5:05:55 AM

you know the thing is a dog when you read that they have invested (aka spent) $1.5 billion on advertising it!

yo microsoft! always time and money to do it wrong, never enough time and money to do it right

perhaps you should have allows us to have a start button and login to the desktop instead of forcing people to use the lame brain user interface formally known as metro, but commonly known as microsoft bob 2.0

people this october 26 send microsoft a message stick with windows 7!

or let's make it "download and install linux day" even if all you do is install it in a vm ;) 
Score
October 24, 2012 5:08:28 AM

More like, kill it...if we still define PC as a Personal Computer. How many of us have a touch screen on our desktops/laptops?
Score
October 24, 2012 7:04:28 AM

I thought this guy was retired. Well, no surprise to see him try to save the company that he co-founded.
Little to say about Win8. So far, it does seem to be weak.
Score
October 24, 2012 7:29:35 AM

User base is already amazed about how a very bad user experience is working on a schizophrenic system continuously jumping from one full screen UI to another.
Market is already amazed about how MS succeeded to spit right in the middle of the face of billions of users, hundreds of thousands of Win32 developers, and hundreds of OEM.
I, personally, am amazed about how completely irrelevant still is MS in smartphone and web services arena, and how mad is the move of betting the company there while actively p*ssing of the desktop cash cow.
Score
October 24, 2012 7:51:21 AM

I can see it being truly great for the future. It just doesnt really belong with what we have right now. I mean, itll be awesome if things were like Minority Report with wall size gesture recognizing holographic displays. But, we are not there yet. We still have surfaces.
Score
October 24, 2012 8:09:47 AM

Just an excuse to punt touch screens. As a computer professional I cannot say I am thrilled at the prospect of trying to do work on an OS designed for touch screens. Maybe its nitpicking, but expecting people to right-click in the bottom left pixel of a screen to get a useful menu is a bit mean. They could have really allowed for an option to have something that is more accessible for people who actually need to do work. Wouldn't that be funny? Having to turn on accessibility settings just to be able to work effectively with windows. lol Personal computing maybe, but definitely not workstations.
Score
October 24, 2012 8:59:04 AM

Bill Gates: Windows 8 Will Spearhead Personal Computing In To A Wall...
Score
October 24, 2012 9:06:08 AM

People cried about Tom posting Apple ads. See? Now you get Microsoft ads!

(I prefer the Apple ones though.)
Score
October 24, 2012 1:14:27 PM

Put me on the do not buy (ever) list.
Score
October 24, 2012 1:17:24 PM

gm0n3yI'm still worried about M$'s entry into the app store game. When is Steam for Linux coming out again?

I hear you and was looking at installing another HD into my last Windows gaming rig just for Linux (Ubuntu). I see myself slowly switching to Linux only down the road, well maybe a PS4, MS can keep their crap including their Crapboxes.
Score
October 24, 2012 5:33:34 PM

One of 2 things will happen because of Win8:
1. They will bring back the Start menu and all other functionality they axed in either Win 8 SP1 or Win9
OR
2. This will be the push that Linux needs to become a viable desktop OS. People who have been "on the fence" about Win vs Linux will migrate to Linux. If the userbase increases, more software will be developed for Linux, which will further increase the userbase.
Score
Anonymous
October 24, 2012 7:32:18 PM

i am indeed "amazed at the energy" spent remaking a UI.. for something that has been working for the last 17+ years.. something that works so well even apple and linux has somewhat imitated.
Score
October 25, 2012 3:33:07 AM

Still can't understand why they're doing this. If I, and I mean we, spend $3000 on a desktop, I want that performance and efficiency I paid for. I don't want a 30lb mobile object...On top of it touch is still so ineffective as is, barely touch something you didn't mean and it's there, as well as its still mediocre precision.

I still foresee this biting them in the ***. I don't see MS changing in the mobile market, against Android and iOS. For as long as they've been in the mobile market they've been very mediocre. And they expect this to change this fast and massively? Maybe it's seamless on mobiles, but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't, on top of not being so for desktops and lappies.

Come around next generation, if they still treat crap again as all one device, I'll go to Linux. I would rather not since I've used Win all my life, but if it means getting what I want, a PC and not the most expensive pretend mobile device ever, so be it.
Score
Anonymous
October 29, 2012 11:44:19 PM

The reason why Microsoft...nay, the Elites say this is an "absolutely critical product", is because you are basically hanging up your ability to think critically, and just push a button....like the sheep that They see you as.
The dumbing down of humanity continues, while the Elite continue to strive for further intellectual excellence.
Do you not See whats going on here?
Raise your arms and hands outstretched, and Reject their spell of stupidity, or in 10 years little johnny won't be able to go to the toilet if his phone app is corrupt....and will die.
ENOUGH !

Score
October 30, 2012 8:30:44 AM

W8 is just the attempt to put an invasive advertising page for MS online services right in front of any user action.
Score
!