hacky_maximus

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Look what one of my compatriots did. Sweet, isn't it ? :D
hdd17jm.jpg

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
From the people who brought you SLi and Crossfire comes...

LOGIC FOR DUMMIES!

In this idiot proof guide we show you some really neat ways to make your system run faster. Like sticking a shitload of graphics processors in it, or nailing a fan to your hard disk. Guaranteed to work with any level of idiot, your computer will soon be costing twice as much, running twice as noisy with a full FIVE FRAMES PER SECOND increase. That's just $200 per frame!

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Tell your friend it might not be such a wise idea to put a fan so close to his HD... I dont know if they have changed over the years but fans used to have magnets in them and magnets+magnetic media=lost data... I do like the idea though :) and I could be wronge about the whole magnet thing but I would check up on it lol

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Tell your friend it might not be such a wise idea to put a fan so close to his HD... I dont know if they have changed over the years but fans used to have magnets in them and magnets+magnetic media=lost data... I do like the idea though :) and I could be wronge about the whole magnet thing but I would check up on it lol

Ever try a magnet on a floppy disk?
I wanted to erase my data once so i tried it and it did absolutely nothing.. it was on huge rare earth magnet too!

That disk has lots of metal surrounding it, and the tiny magnet /electromagnet won't do anything. Not to mention that there's a motor inside the hard drive. :wink:

AlaskaFox

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I see what he did, he rigged the fan to run off the HD spindle. magnets were probably (hopefully) taken out. only problem I see is I question the ability/life expetancy of the HD powering both the platters and the fan... plus it looks like an 80mm? will be loud and prob wont last long at 7200rpm...

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Nah he just glued a fan to the bottom of the hard drive.
See that wire going out and connecting to the power supply of the HD?

Pretty neat idea for HD cooling.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
magnets+magnetic media=lost data

While strictly speaking this is true, it takes one hell of a magnet to do so (slide 24, to save you time ~5000 Oersted). BTW, next time a hard drive dies, take it apart and you'll see multiple very strong magnets used to control the heads.

he rigged the fan to run off the HD spindle

It's hard to see from the picture (for me at least) but if that were the case, why would he be running those two wires to the fan? And if it were connected to the spindle, that'd be a sure-fire way to kill the drive more quickly.

Edit:Gah, others beat me to it, oh well.

hacky_maximus

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
hey, that's not my friend ! We were talking on a romanian forum about HDD cooling and this guy said "look what I did with an old PSU fan. The temperature drops down...". We told him it's not good for the HDD, most because he connected that wires directly from the HDD and that could create interferance. Plus that, he glued that FAN.
I post this just to see all of you what crazy/stupid people can do with their hardware :lol: