Sign in with
Your question

crazy guy !

Last response: in Storage
May 26, 2006 9:19:30 PM

Look what one of my compatriots did. Sweet, isn't it ? :D 

More about : crazy guy

May 26, 2006 10:08:18 PM

:? I have no idea what that thing is. Any hint there, buddy?
May 26, 2006 10:09:12 PM

Effective, I'd think...
Well done, way to get inventive.
Related resources
May 26, 2006 10:50:10 PM

Well that UFO looks like a piece of sh!t.
May 26, 2006 10:55:10 PM

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!
May 26, 2006 11:01:18 PM

From the people who brought you SLi and Crossfire comes...

LOGIC FOR DUMMIES!

In this idiot proof guide we show you some really neat ways to make your system run faster. Like sticking a shitload of graphics processors in it, or nailing a fan to your hard disk. Guaranteed to work with any level of idiot, your computer will soon be costing twice as much, running twice as noisy with a full FIVE FRAMES PER SECOND increase. That's just $200 per frame!
May 27, 2006 12:01:39 AM

Tell your friend it might not be such a wise idea to put a fan so close to his HD... I dont know if they have changed over the years but fans used to have magnets in them and magnets+magnetic media=lost data... I do like the idea though :)  and I could be wronge about the whole magnet thing but I would check up on it lol
May 27, 2006 1:08:37 AM

I would love to see a picture of your friend in the Summer.
I bet he has a bunch of fans stapled to his body to cool off.
May 27, 2006 1:33:43 AM

Quote:
Tell your friend it might not be such a wise idea to put a fan so close to his HD... I dont know if they have changed over the years but fans used to have magnets in them and magnets+magnetic media=lost data... I do like the idea though :)  and I could be wronge about the whole magnet thing but I would check up on it lol

Ever try a magnet on a floppy disk?
I wanted to erase my data once so i tried it and it did absolutely nothing.. it was on huge rare earth magnet too!

That disk has lots of metal surrounding it, and the tiny magnet /electromagnet won't do anything. Not to mention that there's a motor inside the hard drive. :wink:
May 27, 2006 2:16:02 AM

I see what he did, he rigged the fan to run off the HD spindle. magnets were probably (hopefully) taken out. only problem I see is I question the ability/life expetancy of the HD powering both the platters and the fan... plus it looks like an 80mm? will be loud and prob wont last long at 7200rpm...
May 27, 2006 2:25:55 AM

Nah he just glued a fan to the bottom of the hard drive.
See that wire going out and connecting to the power supply of the HD?

Pretty neat idea for HD cooling.
May 27, 2006 2:29:28 AM

Quote:
magnets+magnetic media=lost data

While strictly speaking this is true, it takes one hell of a magnet to do so (slide 24, to save you time ~5000 Oersted). BTW, next time a hard drive dies, take it apart and you'll see multiple very strong magnets used to control the heads.

Quote:
he rigged the fan to run off the HD spindle

It's hard to see from the picture (for me at least) but if that were the case, why would he be running those two wires to the fan? And if it were connected to the spindle, that'd be a sure-fire way to kill the drive more quickly.

Edit:Gah, others beat me to it, oh well.
May 27, 2006 6:22:45 AM

hey, that's not my friend ! We were talking on a romanian forum about HDD cooling and this guy said "look what I did with an old PSU fan. The temperature drops down...". We told him it's not good for the HDD, most because he connected that wires directly from the HDD and that could create interferance. Plus that, he glued that FAN.
I post this just to see all of you what crazy/stupid people can do with their hardware :lol: 
May 27, 2006 6:52:06 PM

I understand, just rebuttling what the others had said, trying to dispell commonly-held misconceptions. That's all.
!