Moan For The Day!

Here I sit with ink stained hands and a pain in my neck. Why the fvck are printers designed to be so bloody awkward?

For weeks I've been getting the odd smudge on my printouts, but who cares? Then tonight I have to prepare a report for a prospective client on my thoughts towards the overhaul of his systems.

Decided to open it up and clean it a little. I find that the bit I need to clean is only exposed if I pull the power cable when the ink dropper thingy is on a slide to the other end of the carriage. Done that, I see a few 'absorbent' foam type pads saturated with ink. Those dryed, I turn to getting off the ink dropper thingy, but I've got to remove two plates, a rubber drive band, a plastic film (which I have no idea what its for) and at last I can get to the cleaning of the ink applicator.

90 minutes after starting, I'm ready to put it all back together, but a foam pad has fallen out of a nook and it will not stay in place while I try to replace the dreaded ink dropper thingy. I think its purpose is to lubricate the carriage, as its saturated in oil. I have no glue in the house and the pad doesn't respond to the usual anti-gravity prayers and incantations. So what do I do? I apply some Coca Cola Tm to the plastic and press the pad to it, hoping in time the cola will become sticky enough to fight gravity.

That's the story so far. More tomorrow. I'm still waiting for the coke to dry.

Part 2 of Camie's interesting printer tomorrow.

BTW: Epson Stylus Colour 760...

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ROFL...Cola? ROFL...dude your crazy, but perhaps clever. Only time will tell. Let me know how this story ends!

I'm gonna start calling ya' McGuyver (spelling?).

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Only if camieabz remembered to use his penknife at some point during the process... (he cannot be referred to any member of the A Team unless he converts his printer using handy tools such including an acetaline torch to build a battle-tank)

---If at first you dont succeed... get a bigger hammer... that'll teach it !!!---

[sigh]

The coke didn't work. Had to buy some Loctite.

All said and done, I got the whole thing cleaned, and put back together.

It doesn't work anymore!

ROTFWMHIMH

(Rolling on the floor with my head in my hands)

Who cares! I had another identical one, but I wanted to fix this one for the experience. Well its taught me heaps. Don't fvck aroung with printers. They're too much hassle for next to no pleasure.

Camie (a.k.a. B.A. Baracus, a.k.a. Mcguyver)

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LoL. Your crazy camieabz. Well, what doesn't work? I mean what does the printer do now?

Who cares! I had another identical one, but I wanted to fix this one for the experience. Well its taught me heaps.

Yeah, I tell myself this too in order to make me feel better. But in many cases your right- you really do learn a lot even if you did f**k something up.

Well before I had ink in places I shouldn't, and no ink in places I should. The head cleaning tool had little or no effect after a few weeks of this.

I cleaned out a fair amount of ink ridden fluff and ink from all areas.

Now when I start up, I get all lights! Almost as if the ink cartridges aren't there, or something. I've tried re-seating them a couple of times to no effect, so that's not it.

The only bit I can't be sure of is the carriage height. There's an adjuster for it. At the left side its constant, but the right side is adjustable. I just measured the height at the left and made sure the height at the right was equal.

Suggestions of the practical and non-head melting variety are very welcome.