I'm using Outlook Express 6.0 as my default email system.
I unable to open attachments that are attached to
incoming email. I get a message 'windows cannot open
this file - windows needs to know what program created
it'. Any idea on how I can get help from Outlook Express.

It means you likely don't have an application on your system in which to
open the attachment. Most files need either the application that created
them or some compatible application with the ability to open such a file in
order to open them. Without knowing the file extension, we can't help.

Also, you should understand, before opening any attachment, it should be
saved to another location and scanned for viruses. Most viruses come to us
from family, friends or other people that we know as viruses often spread by
pulling address from an infected users address book in their e-mail
application.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"BOSW" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Outlook Express 6.0 as my default email system.
> I unable to open attachments that are attached to
> incoming email. I get a message 'windows cannot open
> this file - windows needs to know what program created
> it'. Any idea on how I can get help from Outlook Express.

Uncheck the Do Not Allow . . .

In news:294501c49f7b$123ce130$a501280a@phx.gbl,
BOSW <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I'm using Outlook Express 6.0 as my default email system.
> I unable to open attachments that are attached to
> incoming email. I get a message 'windows cannot open
> this file - windows needs to know what program created
> it'. Any idea on how I can get help from Outlook Express.

It's presumably not all attachments you can't open, just those of
a certain type or types.

Outlook Express can't help you with this; the problem has nothing
to do with the file being an attachment; it's that you presumably
don't have the appropriate program to open the file. For example,
if I use Microsoft Excel to create a spreadsheet file and send it
to you, if you don't have Excel (or some compatible program)
installed on your system, Windows will see the .xls extension on
the file but not know what to do with it.

For more specific help, tell us what the extension is of the
files you can't open.

Please reply to the newsgroup

peter

You might need Java from Sun, or Shockwave Flash or?

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.