x1800gto vs 7900gt.... Need advise!

aceprowler

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Okay, I've used the x1800gto for about 3 weeks now. I'm just not happy with it. Hard to explain, but much better then what I had though!

What I was wondering, for you guys that have the 7900gt or better. Was the upgrade worth the extra $.

I looked over google, and THWG and no one really talks about going from one to the other, so figured I would ask you guys here, thanks for any info you may have. I've seen the benchmarks, but want hands on info!

Next weekend I'm going to be ordering the 7900gt @ newegg and selling my x1800gto for $170 or BO. I wish I would have just spent the extra $ and saved some $. But my loss will be someone else gain!

Also, I am looking to get a wide screen by summers end, and know the GT will more then satisfy the high video.

O, and $300 is about what I'm looking to get into now, so let me know if something else other then an x1800xt. All because it's just above the x1800gto from what I have seen. This is why I am looking into the 7900gt now. I seen the 7800gtx for a good price, but $50 more and I'm back to 7900gt which seems like a very powerfull card.

aceprowler

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
When I upgrade the video on even Battlefield 1942 mod Forgotten Hope, It drags.

My fps in Quake 3 Arena Freeze tag is about the same as my 9700pro. I play this game to keep my aim up to speed. Beside, some guys I've played with for 7-8yrs or so, since it's come out. So stop in to own them and say "HI"

I've re-formatted reinstalled, all updates with Windows XP Pro sp2. Just to make sure!

Believe me, everything looks amazing with this card. But just in these 2 games it seems it's lacking. All others seemed to run smooth. Like F.E.A.R. Quake 4, all the newer games.

The 6800gs AGP seemed to run smoother and faster then the x1800gto. I upgraded to PCI for an improvement, not a hit. If you know what I mean.

Thanks for any help!

pauldh

Illustrious
O, and $300 is about what I'm looking to get into now, so let me know if something else other then an x1800xt. All because it's just above the x1800gto from what I have seen. This is why I am looking into the 7900gt now. I seen the 7800gtx for a good price, but $50 more and I'm back to 7900gt which seems like a very powerfull card.
Huh, X1800XT is at least as good as a 7900GT. Stock X1800XT keeps up with the higher factory overclocked 7900GT's. Plus, the X1800XT is way cheaper. They trade blows depending on the games you like. IMO X1800XT > 7900GT out of the box, and with 7900GT overclocking horror stories popping up, no brainer to save $60+ and get the X1800XT.

Without question, most bang for buck in your price range: $220 X1800XT http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102698 Why spend alot more for a 7900GT that will lose more games than it wins to this card??

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/sapphire_radeon_x1900_gt/page4.asp

256MB outpaces the 7900GT with 4X/16X in this review:
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=542

aceprowler

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Yes your right. X1800xt would be a better choice! I read THWG wrong!

I will look into the x1800xt until next week. Really though, how much personal improvement will I see. Not bench's, I'd like to hear from people who may have made this upgrade or close to it, thanks.

I see it does almost double my 06 marks.

pauldh

Illustrious
Have you tried a few different driver versions? Googled issues with those games/mods and ATI drivers? Honestly, I'd think that any upgrade from a X1800GTO for old games like that would be a waste of money. Something else must be going on. Sure for newer games like Oblivion, higher resolutions, running fsaa and/or HDR, there would be a difference, but I'd probably just OC the GTO rather than buy a new card. I upgraded from a 7800GT to a X1800Xt for Oblivion alone and there is a huge difference in that game; Higher details along with 2Xaa (as well as HDR) was worth the upgrade to me. But BF1942 and Q3 wouldn't be reasons for upgrading.

aceprowler

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
True, but when I upgrade to the widescreen LCD, I'm going to have to move up in cards anyhow. I was thinking just do it now, While I can still get $150 out of my card. Then move to XT for $80 more. If Connect3d wouldn't have had the $60 mail in rebate, I would have just sent it back and got the x1800xt or better. But figured from what everyone said, I was going to be just stunned at the perfermance difference from AGP to PCI-E. Which I wasn't!

I do play Quake 4, COD2, BIA Earned in Blood as well. I just was wondering why the lower end games don't seem to push as high as my older 9700pro, they sure do look alittle better.

I have tried all the drivers to see what ones worked the best. Omega - ATI's. But I'm going to give that a try again. I see beta drivers came out for ATI. Who knows. I will look for the NF4 drivers too.

What is bad about going to PCI is that I don't have any cards to put in the PCI-E slot to compair it too as well. AGP i have all these cards that I used to be able to slap em in, to really see the difference. PCI I don't. I'm thinking of looking on Ebay to see what I can get a x850xt for a backup card for now.

See, what bugs me, is that when I built my bro's computer for him and his son for Christmas. I put in a x800pro, and my bro's 12yr old can't even see the difference in games just like me. So maybe I have a bad card or really a driver issue?

aceprowler

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Okay, just to let you guys know. I did download the new drivers from Omega and ATI - 6.5.

I must say for the first time, ATI beat out Omega in benchmarks. Really the new drivers helped out my decision to go with an higher end card!

So my issues where definitely a driver issue! I even tried to O/C her a bit to see how it handled it. I was very impressed with that as well.

In all, I am very happy ATI has come out with these new drivers! I'm sure many of you have seen the difference in gaming as well!

AquaMark3 jumped up 10k, 3dmark05 jumped up from 6530 to 6747, and 06 I have yet to try. PI = 28seconds. GL excess, which doesn't seem to be supported anymore jumped up 4k from 16k to 20k.

aceprowler

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Tell yeah the truth, I would have never believed it till now! All the benchmarking in the past with other cards with different version of drivers. Normally only gave maybe a little boost, but nothing like this! Just unbelievable!

cleeve

Illustrious
Did you say your X1800 GTO was getting the same framerates as your 9700 PRO in Quake 3 arena?

What, like 200 fps?

This is not a game to base relative performance on. The graphics are so old that it'll be system limited, not videocard limited...

...and once you're running higher FPS than your monitor's refresh rate, all more FPS will do is tear up your screen and look crappy. If your refresh rate is 75 Hz, you're not going to be able to see more than 75 fps.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
That's not the point. It's an ego thing to have a system that can pump out 200 frames per second, even if you don't use that many. Besides, it just means your video card will be that much more adept at later games that bring other cards to their knees.

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
I think that what Cleeve is saying is that the OP is probably complaining over nothing. If the problem is with older games such as Q3 then there actually is no problem.

aceprowler

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
That's not the point. It's an ego thing to have a system that can pump out 200 frames per second, even if you don't use that many. Besides, it just means your video card will be that much more adept at later games that bring other cards to their knees.

Right, who cares if you can't use the framerates! It's the point of old game pushing 100's more FPS. Why would you upgrade if even the oldest games don't see the advantage over what you originally had?

Now that the new drivers came out 6.5, the x1800gto rocks!

New games rock even more!

FPS is the name of the game!

cleeve

Illustrious

You're missing the point.

your system (CPU, mobo, and memory, etc) will limit your maximum framerate. At a certain point, especially with older titles, it doesn't matter what videocard you have, the framerates aren't going to get any higher.

Quake3 Arena is one of those games... Radeon 9700 PRO, Radeon X1900 XTX. It's not going to make much difference because there are other things than the videocard limiting the max framerate.

aceprowler

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
No No, your missing the point here.

9700pro is going to push the same framerates of a x1800gto. Not!!

I don't care if your using a Athlon 1800 or a Opteron 165!

You slap in a 5900xt vs 6600gt or a 9700pro vs x1800gto that new video card you BETTER HAVE better framerates in those older games as Quake, or you just upgraded to junk!

Your talking about things from years and years ago man. This talk is 1990's LMFAO.

lordroddington

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
hmmm you're probably going to get nailed for that post...

it's all about the bottleneck. if your card is already using all of the data that is supplied to it by the cpu, a faster card won't make a difference because the cpu/memory/bus/hard drive or WHATEVER can't supply more data fast enough for it

mad_fitzy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Ok stop this is getting annoying. Lets use a car as an analagy. The video card can be the engine itself and the rest of the system can be the turbo. If you put a new engine in a turbo car your not going to get squat difference if the turbo is already at max throughput. Your cpu processes the frames for the video card to render therefore the video card can only render as many frames as the cpu processes.

aceprowler

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Ok stop this is getting annoying. Lets use a car as an analagy. The video card can be the engine itself and the rest of the system can be the turbo. If you put a new engine in a turbo car your not going to get squat difference if the turbo is already at max throughput. Your cpu processes the frames for the video card to render therefore the video card can only render as many frames as the cpu processes.

OMFG, you people need to LEARN to read before posting your stupid comments for real. So when another person has the same problem, they can read a post related to there problem instead of your lame analogies that don't apply here.

If you did READ, you would have already seen this issue has been solved!

It was A DRIVER ISSUE!! OKAY, IT WAS A DRIVER ISSUE!! GET IT!! This post needs no more inputs from people a day late and a dollar short!

I see this so many times here, someone just rambles on and on, never reading any of the posted material FIRST!

I mean I love the help, and help was given, but now your just pulling shiot out your a&&.

Listen my computer must have gotten a NEW TURBO and GOT 300+FPS IN QUAKE 3 ARENA, WELL HERE, READ!
Okay, just to let you guys know. I did download the new drivers from Omega and ATI - 6.5.

I must say for the first time, ATI beat out Omega in benchmarks. Really the new drivers helped out my decision to go with an higher end card!

So my issues where definitely a driver issue! I even tried to O/C her a bit to see how it handled it. I was very impressed with that as well.

In all, I am very happy ATI has come out with these new drivers! I'm sure many of you have seen the difference in gaming as well!

AquaMark3 jumped up 10k, 3dmark05 jumped up from 6530 to 6747, and 06 I have yet to try. PI = 28seconds. GL excess, which doesn't seem to be supported anymore jumped up 4k from 16k to 20k.

LMFAO, TURBO ON A DIFFERENT ENGINE, WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!! Turbo!!

Get a man's ride and you won't need turbo you RiceBurner lover!! 8O

mad_fitzy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
No shit. I knew it had been solved but he was still saying that he didnt care how what cpu he was using he still wanted better frames from a new video card. You should read what is posted before you flame people.

mad_fitzy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Also, many rice cars can pummel v8's. I also love v8's, I was raised around them (father owned many 351 v8's and uncle had worked 202's) so don't give me shit for that.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Also, many rice cars can pummel v8's. I also love v8's, I was raised around them (father owned many 351 v8's and uncle had worked 202's) so don't give me **** for that.
You sound like an Aussie by those engines. :wink: