Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard Problem?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 27, 2006 2:39:19 AM

About two months ago I built a new computer (specs below). Three weeks ago, I was playing Battlefield 2 for about 15 minutes then the computer froze. It would not start back up; there was no display. I reseatted the Radeon 1900XTX and it started up and played games fine over the weekend.
The following weekend, I tried playing Battlefield 2 again. After about 15 minutes, it froze. I could not get it to start back up. No display, no POST.
I tried the other PCI Express power adapter. I tried running just the motherboard, cpu, and videocard. I connected the speaker from my old case to the motherboard, it gave one long beep followed by two short beeps (graphics adapter error) for everything I tried. I also tried clearing the CMOS.
I thought it was the video card. I sent it to ATI and they sent me a new one. I still have the exact same problems. When I start it up, the hard drive light comes on for a couple seconds and the system speaker beeps one long and two short over and over with no display, and the fans work fine.
My guess is the motherboard is the problem. When I built the computer, the plastic lock/support on the motherboard, next to the PCI x16 slot, broke off. With that support missing, could it have caused too much stress on the slot?
I don't have other components to try in the computer. My old computer is 4 years old, and I don't know anybody with a computer I could try components in.
Could it be anything other than the motherboard? Anybody have any ideas?

Asus A8N-E
ATI Radeon X1900 XTX
Antec TPII 550W
Antec P180
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+
Corsair XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR400 PC3200
WD Raptor 74 GB
(2) Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 300 GB in raid 1(mirror)
X-Fi XtremeMusic
Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1
Logitech G15
Logitech MX510

More about : motherboard problem

May 28, 2006 2:36:19 AM

I bought a new motherboard. It had the same problem, but I finally found the problem. One of the memory chips is bad. It's kinda hard finding the problem when it gives me the same beep code for everything I try.
June 10, 2006 7:22:46 AM

So hold on, it was your ram that was dead?
Related resources
June 10, 2006 8:46:33 AM

Someone else on this forum made me aware of capacitor damage on the motherboard that can stop your computer from booting. I haven't got any pictures but look for a bulging on the tops of your capacitors near the processor socket. Try googling it. It may well not be this problem but have a look, most manufactures replace your motherboard for this problem.
June 11, 2006 1:06:14 AM

Quote:
So hold on, it was your ram that was dead?

Yes, one of the ram sticks died.

After I had the first crash, reseatting the video card gave the memory enough time to cool down. Then, I just got lucky that it worked until the following weekend.
After it died the following weekend, I though it was the video card because it would give me the beep code which is supposed to be a display adapter error.
When I tried the replaced video card, I still had the same problems, so I though it was the motherboard. I bought a new motherboad to try and then return. It still would not work. So I pulled one of the ram sticks, it booted up. I tried both sticks in the same slot to verify it was just one of the sticks; one worked and the other did not.
I sent both sticks in to be replaced, I have not got new ones back yet.
!