trilogyRC

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
Hi, i have a issue and im not sure whatr part it is, so i figure ill throw up some posts and get advice on each piece of hardware in my machine.

AMD64 3200
MSI K8T-NEO
1gb Corsair Value
2x 160gb Western Digital
BFG 6800GT OC 256mb AGP
X-Connect 550watt
Lite-On DVDrw

Ok, so, I've had this issue on and off for a while dating as far back as march of last year. However till now it was always on a small scale and only happened once in a while and stop doing very quickly that normally id just think it was a hiccup.
Basiclly what happens is, my computer freeze's, alot, games are distorted, artifacting all over. It's not only in games it just generally freeze's, normally playing a earpiercing high pitched sound thru my speakers.
At first i thought it was a video card issue, i updated drivers, rolled back drivers, disabled my video card, uninstall/remove/install, rinse repeat. i even called BFG and had it replaced.
The brand new card i received in the mail today from BFG, i plugged it in expected some better proformance, and it was the exact same. so i updated the drivers only to find that with updated drivers i couldent even the logon screen. also, sometimes on a hard restart my bios wont even pop up, just black monitor then my monitor tells me that a cable may unplugged.
But, in safe mode, like im using right now, everything runs as it should no problems whatsoever. i can run for days with no issues at all. but as i soon as i run out of safemode its like the instant death of stability.
so, to sum it up.
Crash's, alot
Artifacting in games
really really slow proformance
black screen on restart sometimes

Also, my Ultra X-Connect emits a screeching sound, that is really really noticable, sometimes in drowns the rest of sounds in my house. I know its the X-Connect becuase i tested out various parts to hear for sounds and it was the PSU.

Any help at all would be awesome, TY.

EDIT: i can run just fine (just like in safe mode) with my videocard disabled, maybe the bad sound emiting for my PSU means that its having a hardtime powering my GPU to its full abilities?

With all the symptoms you have my thoughts are the M/B is bad, but that would be after making sure your P/S isn't defective because 550w is enough for what you're running, test the P/S and if it checks out I'd replace the M/B.

sailer

Splendid
With your power supply causing screeching sounds, that would be the first thing I'd suspect as your problem causer. The voltages its putting out could be very wild, and that could affect your motherboard, soundcard, video card, etc. I'd start by replacing the PSU, and then see what happens. If your system becomes stable, then problem solved. If not, then 4ryan6 is right, look to the motherboard. A bad PSU will take it down in a hurry.

Since the new video card didn't do any good, that means it probably either isn't the problem, or it got taken out by a bad power supply before it had a chance. You might also have some problems in your ram sticks. After a new PSU is installed, try running memtest86 and look for errors. I suggest this because you mention slow performance. Unfortunately, there could be a lot of damage because of the bad power supply. There might be other damaged components as well. Just have to sort through one at a time.

Learn a lesson. You state that the problem started over a year ago. That was the time to look for troubles, before it got big. Now that its big, it could be a lot more expensive to fix.

testbenchdude

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
With your power supply causing screeching sounds, that would be the first thing I'd suspect as your problem causer. The voltages its putting out could be very wild, and that could affect your motherboard, soundcard, video card, etc. I'd start by replacing the PSU, and then see what happens. If your system becomes stable, then problem solved. If not, then 4ryan6 is right, look to the motherboard. A bad PSU will take it down in a hurry.

Since the new video card didn't do any good, that means it probably either isn't the problem, or it got taken out by a bad power supply before it had a chance. You might also have some problems in your ram sticks. After a new PSU is installed, try running memtest86 and look for errors. I suggest this because you mention slow performance. Unfortunately, there could be a lot of damage because of the bad power supply. There might be other damaged components as well. Just have to sort through one at a time.

Learn a lesson. You state that the problem started over a year ago. That was the time to look for troubles, before it got big. Now that its big, it could be a lot more expensive to fix.

Seconded. Is the high-pitched screeching more noticeable with graphics intensive apps? It doesn't help that those X-connects are notoriously faulty; I'd replace it.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
With all the symptoms you have my thoughts are the M/B is bad, but that would be after making sure your P/S isn't defective because 550w is enough for what you're running, test the P/S and if it checks out I'd replace the M/B.

yah do what he said, but dont replace the mobo, swap vid cards with a friend, ur GPU may be overheating, just get a cooler or a PCI slot blower fan.