7600GT + new motherboard, or new AGP card?

SilentKiller5

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
I know I've already made similar posts like this before, but here it goes anyways:

I'm considering a graphics card upgrade from my pathetic little AIW 960 AGP, and after looking at the options, and based on my budget, I came to a few options.

A-7600 GT PCI-E with a new motherboard (about $250-300)
B-X800XL AGP (on sale for about $150)
C-7800 GS AGP (about $250-300)

I know that switching to PCI-E would be good for future graphics cards, but I'm probably gonna make the switch anyways early next year (because my system is starting to wear down), so it might now be worth it.

On the other hand, there aren't many good AGP cards left, and I want something that has a good price/performance ratio, and from what I've heard, the 7600 GT is a good bang-for-the-buck kind of card, unlike the 7800 GS. But that sale price on the X800 XL is pretty tempting.

So, I basically need a fairly good card that'll last me until next year (except if I get a 7600 GT, which I'm hoping to have it last longer in that case). Any suggestions/advice? Thanks in advance.

My system speccs:
ATI All-In-Wonder 9600
Intel P4 2.6 Ghz w/ HT
1 GB RAM
Audigy 2 ZS sound card

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I'm pretty sure that you are running socket 478 on your pentium 4.

In that case, I think you will have a hard time finding a motherboard with PCI-express that will work with your CPU.

You would almost be forced to buy a new processor and maybe ram depending on what platform you go with if you want to go with PCIe right now.

I have an AGP X800GTO unlocked to 16 pipes which makes it about the same as an X800XL. An X800XL will be a big improvement from your 9600. When I got my GTO I was upgrading from a 9800pro and I noticed a significant improvement. If you are only going to keep your AGP system for around a year I would think twice about spending $200+ on it.

Your biggest limitation for gaming performance is the 9600 but have you considered overclocking your CPU? Many of the Northwood C P4s, which I am pretty sure is what you have, overclock very well. I have a 2.8 running at 3.5GHz on stock voltage.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
B-X800XL AGP (on sale for about $150)

This looks the best choice, IMO.
Gives you a nice boost in performance.
I went from the 9600XT to X800Pro, & you notice the gain.
It's the cheapest upgrade for the most gain.

SilentKiller5

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
Like others said you'll have a hard time finding a PCI-E mobo for your setup. X800XL is your best choice.

Yeah, I think that the X800 XL would be a good choice, but as a matter of fact, I did find a PCI-E mobo that works for me:

http://www.directdial.com/ca/shop/item/BOXD915GEVL.html

It may be a Canada-only product, but I have relatives who can ship it to me (if I order it to go there). So a mobo + 7600 GT is still a possibility, but I think that an X800XL would be a good choice.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Yeah, I think that the X800 XL would be a good choice, but as a matter of fact, I did find a PCI-E mobo that works for me:

It may be a Canada-only product, but I have relatives who can ship it to me (if I order it to go there). So a mobo + 7600 GT is still a possibility, but I think that an X800XL would be a good choice.
The specs show it uses LGA775 CPU & DDR2 memory, which you would have to buy new.

aceprowler

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Like others said you'll have a hard time finding a PCI-E mobo for your setup. X800XL is your best choice.

Ditto, I built my bro and his kid a system close to yours with an x800pro. Very nice system, looks nice on his LCD too!

X800XL is the choice or 7600 GT . I went from a 6800gs AGP to x1800gto PCI-E because of all the great things said! I wish now I would of stayed AGP for now. But another thing too. PCI-E cards are so dam cheap now!

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005

The specs show it uses LGA775 CPU & DDR2 memory, which you would have to buy new.
Yes.