AsRock help

I just built a pc today with an AsRock mobo. It is the 939 version with pci-e x16 and the onboard nvidia 4100.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157085

My problem is the fact that I do not seem to have bios...at all. The computer doesn't post, or boot through anything other than a black screen with a blinking cursor. It then asks for a bootable media or to shut down. I put in the windows disc, tried to format the hard drive, got an error, tried to delete the failed partition, got an error and now I have a corrupted hard drive...I think.

So, I have two questions. Is my hard drive toast? And do I have BIOS? If the answers to those go yes and no respectively could you please give me the best course of action to take in solving the problems? I was thinking of hooking up the hard drive in raid with another pc and booting through the windows disc to try and reformat it, however it got an error when I tried to do that before. Also, it will no longer boot the windows cd in the new computer.

Please help, thank you.
11 answers Last reply
More about asrock help
  1. If you have a floppy drive, try fdisk. You can make one free at bootdisk.com. You can also try using the other hardrive port on the board or changing the hardrive jumper (cable select or master). Have you tried resetting the bios with the cmos jumper?
  2. Quote:
    If you have a floppy drive, try fdisk. You can make one free at bootdisk.com. You can also try using the other hardrive port on the board or changing the hardrive jumper (cable select or master). Have you tried resetting the bios with the cmos jumper?

I can bring the floppy drive over from another computer. What will I do with fdisk, or what will it do for me? My hardrive does not have a jumper on it to select the priority. I did reset the cmos jumper and it didnt do anything. I think possibly I got a bad bios chip, or it was not flashed at the factory or something.
  3. Try if you can get access to the BIOS without having any drives connected. If AsRock haven't changed anything F2 gives access to the BIOS.

Maxtor P-ATA harddisks without a jumper is set to slave so you will have to find a jumper somewhere unless your harddisk is S-ATA.
  4. The hdd is sata2 3 gb/s transfer rate ect.

Pressing f2 does nothing when I boot, as it doesn't have a manufacturer picture, system information such as hdd's, ide's, cpu, ram or anything.
  5. If your optical drive is connected to the Primary IDE connector, try move it to the Secondary IDE connector. Some motherboards seems to be quite picky about this.

If nothing happens besides it asking for a bootable device try load the driver CD for the motherboard. It might be the BIOS trying to repair itself by asking for a backup biosfile it can load automaticly from the CD. I don't know if your motherboard has that feature but if it has...
  6. Fdisk might give you the ability to delete the partition and format the hardrive using fat32. It would only be useful if there was a problem with the board sensing the optical drive. Clearing the bios with the cmos jumper might also get you into the bios, allowing you to enable all devices. Some devices might be disabled at the default settings.
  7. Quote:
    I just built a pc today with an AsRock mobo. It is the 939 version with pci-e x16 and the onboard nvidia 4100.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157085

My problem is the fact that I do not seem to have bios...at all. The computer doesn't post, or boot through anything other than a black screen with a blinking cursor. It then asks for a bootable media or to shut down. I put in the windows disc, tried to format the hard drive, got an error, tried to delete the failed partition, got an error and now I have a corrupted hard drive...I think.

So, I have two questions. Is my hard drive toast? And do I have BIOS? If the answers to those go yes and no respectively could you please give me the best course of action to take in solving the problems? I was thinking of hooking up the hard drive in raid with another pc and booting through the windows disc to try and reformat it, however it got an error when I tried to do that before. Also, it will no longer boot the windows cd in the new computer.

Please help, thank you.

Damn... you want to RAID 2 computers on 1 HDD??? You don't know what is RAID don't you. If you only have 1 HDD, then take RAID out of your mind...

Second, you PSU might not be powerfull enough. And you obviously have a BIOS into your computer, probably your monitor to heat up fast enough and you're missing the POST screen. Just hold on the BIOS setup key at startup and check if you can have the setup screen. Check if RAID is enabled in any case and disable it. Chec your boot preference too.
  8. ok, I got into my bios so everything is good there.

My I am not able to get into the windows startup to format the harddrive in the new computer. I want to put it into MY computer along with MY harddrive so I can use device manager.

Is 2 computers on 1 hdd even possible?
  9. Quote:
    ok, I got into my bios so everything is good there.

My I am not able to get into the windows startup to format the harddrive in the new computer. I want to put it into MY computer along with MY harddrive so I can use device manager.

Is 2 computers on 1 hdd even possible?

did you select the appropriate boot device in bios?is the hdd new?
    there should be no problems with formatting and installing the os once you choose the correct boot device.
    start it up,get into bios,look for boot device ,select your cd drive ,make sure windows disc is inserted,reboot.
    the post screen will run through to a 2nd or 3rd post screen and it will indicate that it is booting from disc(cd)
    it is that simple.
    in my bios i choose the boot device after the second post screen with an f key command.second post screen on mine is an irq/pci post.

Definitely check the bios for the proper boot selection. If you don't want to go into the bios, hit f11 instead of f2 when booting to bring up a boot menu. That should show you all of the drives that the bios recogizes. If the one you want to find is there, select it and hit enter. If not, you will have to restart and get the into bios (f2) and select the CD drive as the primary boot device and your hard drive as the secondary (my recommendation).

If you are unable to solve the problem that way, it may be the kind of drive you have. If it is an SATA drive, you are probably going to have to get the drivers for the SATA controller on your mobo before windows setup will even recognize the drive. That would cause windows setup to throw an error saying something to the effect that it cannot find a usable hard drive. To do that, you have to download them and make a driver floppy as per the instructions, and insert the disk when windows setup begins. When windows setup is starting up, there will be a grey bar at the bottom displaying some various messages. At some point (i think at the beginning) it will ask if you need to install additional drivers, and if so, press an f key, f3 I believe. Do so, and show it your driver on your floppy, and all should be hunky dory.

If you are using a parallel type drive, you may want to check the standoffs for the motherboard from the case, especially the one under the parallel ports. I once had a friend's computer that had been assembled by someone (it wasn't me) who appparently didn't know that if you shorted a couple of pins on a motherboard, the parallel interface to be exact, that bad things could happen. We spent hours trying to find the problem, and I discovered it only when I finally took the mobo out of the case and saw the improperly aligned standoffs.

This caused problems mostly relating to windows not being able to properly recognize the drive size, properly format, and give messages implying a corrupted drive. Also, if I recall correctly, it caused some strange things to happen with the bios boot order occasionaly. Fortunately, after I adjusted the standoffs, there was no permanent damage to the hard drive or the motherboard and it has been running very well ever since.
  10. I am rmaing the hdd. I tried 3 times to format the partition and each time it gets an error in a different way. Each time it is the same, it says the device is defective or something to the sort. The mobo says that if I am not using raid then it is sata2 ready. I follow the instructions in the manual (i hate doing that =/) but no avail, so I blame the hdd.
  11. That could very well be the case. Keep us posted on how it goes.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Hard Drives ASrock Product