P5WD2 Premium - won't POST, fan connectors problem?

dbcooper_nz

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
Hi, I've just set up a new box with an Asus P5WD2 Premium m'board.

It gives an endless beep and will not display anything on the screen when I attempt to boot.

I have installed an Intel Pentium D 930 CPU w/cooler, 2x1GB Corsair DDR2 Dimms, an Asus x1600PRO/512 graphics card, a liteon DVDRW (via the main IDE connector), and a Seagate SATA-II HD via the 1st SATA port.

I am using the d-sub VGA out for my display, and have mouse and keyboard plugged in via the PS/2 connectors. Powersupply is a local (denmark) 450W and does not support a fan control connector.

I have NOT connected the chassis fan nor the PSU Fan connectors on the m'board. Asus product literature and support material is very ambiguous, but it does seem to suggest that having these two connectors in place could be important.

I am losing it, so any help will be really appreciated.

Cheers,

db.

juvealert

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
well i suggest that u

unattach all hardware and connections and reinstall hardware.
especially powercords and data cables.

make sure ur cpu is correctly installed

well i don't know if relevant but make sure u attach ur cpu fan correctly

dbcooper_nz

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
OK, the PSU is a zitech 450W job. Zitech is a local supplier here in denmark. It is not a premium supplier but they are OK. It supplies 15 AND 17A on the 1st and 2nd 12V rails. The PSU does not have a connector for the m'board's PWR Fan connector.

It is supposed to comply with Intel 775 CPU requirements, and 915/925 chipsets.

Should I swap it for a Tagen 500W?

dbcooper_nz

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
Thanks for the tips guys. I will get a new supply and try to update the motherboard BIOS to the latest revision - some revisions do not support my CPU (Pentium D 930 Core Revision B1).

dbcooper_nz

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
Great mate, I guess I'll be looking for an older CPU at work on monday.

Cheers,

DB.

ps. investigated the components quite a bit, so hopefully just a better PSU is all I need. Thx for the compliment, am certainly hoping to make the most out of the system :)

bindle

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
assuming you've plugged in all the necessary sockets.... u need to install the drivers on the board to help post.... especially since you're using the SATA connector. if i remember correctly go into the instructions and read up on the installation of the SATA controller drivers. that should help you get through post... I had the same freakin problem... Comp wouldn't post, finally figured that becuz I had a SATA DVD reader/writer hooked up, it needed the damn controller drivers... Had to boot up from a floppy and get it installed... damn and who said floppies were obsolete! lol

oh yeah... dump the stock heatsink, those things are junk... go get one of the above recommended, or I also recommend the Scythe Ninja... just picked one of these badboys up and man is my comp chilling.... went from 71C to about 53C load temps. My jaw was on the floor after that... never going w/ intel stock junk ever again. Just make sure you have room for this badboy though!

bindle

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
GREAT post law.... i was one of the suckers who had to figure it out by trial and error.... funny thing was I had my computer down for about 1 week while i was screwing around waiting for a reply by ASUS... guess what their answer was....

Your SATA dvd drive is not compatible w/ the Silicon SATA connector prior to windows startup, please find an alternative (ide based dvd-rom) and install it that way.

Obviously this is not true.... since i got the damn thing to work just like you said Law!!!

Batspoon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
You'll be fine after the bios update, and if you supercharge your psu too, that will rock!

And also as a good update for the p5wd 2 p users using some ide drives attached to the IT8211. In the Asus Forums many customers (p5wd2 p customers) have complained about the IDE SCAN taking a "big" time (from 30" to 1') to detect the hard disks. Well, it seems that the key is in the PCI Option rom stored in the bios for the IT8211. Upgrading from a bios with V1.3.1.61 option rom to the V1.3.1.65 one solves the issue. Asus (at the moment) only release bios builds with the older 1.3.1.61 but thanks to a user from the asus forums (MrX_46) we got our hands on the newer version. I have modded the 606 and 709 with the updated IT8211F PCI Option ROM... completely tested of course.

P5WD2 Premium 606 (IT8211 V1.3.1.65)

P5WD2 Premium 709 (IT8211 V1.3.1.65)

Just thought that maybe it would help someone using that mobo.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I feel like I should inform you to look in your mobo's manual to see what the beep codes mean, a long endless beed usually means no cpu detected or no ram detected on asus boards

I am sure that beep codes are included somewere in the manual

dbcooper_nz

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
Much thanks for all the tips guys. Checked everything, replaced PSU and updated the BIOS and no more problems!

Now ... to get a new CPU fan from Zalman/Asus/Scythe and crank up this sucker.

Cheers,

DB.

BTW, beep code info in the manual is very minimal ... Asus provided some tips via email though.

TRENDING THREADS