I'd appreciate a TV tuner recomendation

tahoe5280

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I'd like to drop a TV tuner into my PC and use it regular PC that has vid capture capabilities. I just want something simple, but has reliable software that will work with XP.

I see some people talking about analog cards and HDTV cards...but I don't know which applies to my situation. I have digital cable, but don't have an HDTV. So, I'm not sure if that means I still get an HD signal, or if it means I just need an analog card. Help!

Secondly, here's my hardware specs:

Win XP
AMD64 3200
ASUS SLI-Prem (PCI-e)
6600GT (I don't mind swapping out the 6600GT to the tuner card when I need to use the vid capture, then swapping back...or using the normal PCI expansion slot doesn't bother me either)
2gb CorsairXMS
Fortron 600w
74gb Raptor

To sum up my needs: I just need a card that I can capture TV clips of around 30 sec-15min in standard viewing formats. I don't know the difference between MPEG and MPEG-2. I don't need a dual tuner, because I have no need to use this for a DVR/PVR. I don't have any idea if capture and editing software is automatically bundled into the card, or if I will have to buy that seperately.

Also, I'm not sure how I am supposed to hook it up. I have a DVR from Comcast, but I don't know if they use anti-piracy software to prevent programs from being recorded or not. If that's the case, then I'd appreciate suggestions on how to bypass the copyright protection crap.

Any recommendations?

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
What you most likely want is an analog tv tuner. Chances are very good that you are not getting a HD output on your digital settop. I'm a cable guy. HD and digital are kissing cousins, but not necessarily the same. The company I work for has @200 digital channels, 14 of which are HD. You need a HD digital box to get them.
I am running an ancient ATI tv wonder on my old pc, and it's ok to so-so in performance. I was looking at the MSI tv@nywhere for my new machine, but now I'm holding out for something with the 550 pro core.

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I have the AverMedia AVerTV Go 007 Plus .... not the best around but considering the price ( 45 can ) and its features ( remote, fm radio ) this card does the job for me. I wanted a tuner card that was inexpensive and easy to use and that's what I got with this one.

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
You can swap your 6600GT for an All-In-Wonder of the X800 series and up or just add a TV Wonder Elite PCI (which I use and appreciate very much).

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I've used the Leadtek Winfast TV2000XP Expert for the past year and a half with good results. The software is easy to use, and supports such functions as waking up the PC from hibernation to record shows, then going back into hibernation when finished recording. It will also allow for burn-on-the-fly DVD recordings of shows. Comes with remote and has fm tuner built in which you can record from as well.

As for editing, I use Nero's Vision Express.