Sign in with
Your question

Looking for new card:AGP8x, Quiet Performance, Component Out

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 27, 2006 4:43:30 PM

Hi everyone, just joined the forums and this my first post.
I need some help on what a good video card might be for some specific needs.
I'm going to be buying a new LCD TV today, either a LG 37" or the new Samsung 40" (with 5000:1 contrast ratio) and want to get a new video card as well. I don't want to upgrade my motherboard just yet, I'm still waiting for new AMD processors to do this and what I have now is more than fine for what I do. I need something that is AGP8x, with component video out for the TV, and really want to find something that uses a heatsink instead of a fan. I would prefer a 256MB or 512MB card, but with these specifications I realize 128MB is probably the best I will get.

I found this one from a quick google search: gigabyte GV-N62128DS, which meets all of the above. It seems to be a little outdated though (non of the stores around here have it) and I would have to order it online. I was wondering if there's anything newer or better than this card out at the moment?

I should also mention I'm not really a gamer, I used to play Return To Castle Wolfenstein a lot, this is pretty much the only game I play and the only game I ever see myself playing, but haven't been able to play it for a few months now since my disc got scratched. So I don't need something that is a gaming monster, it would be nice to have the ability in the card for future use, but it's not a requirement here. My main use is for a desktop pc, I do lots of reading and lots of stuff with music (production, editing, recording) on my computer, so something that excels with text clarity and colour definition would be nice. My computer is a P4 2.4ghz, 1GB samsung ram, and 480GB HD space (250 SATA, 200 ATA), so it should be more than adequate for now.

Would love to hear your suggestions, hoping I will be able to find something today before I leave to pick up the new tv/monitor.
May 27, 2006 5:11:10 PM

Thanks for that Paul, this one seems pretty nice. Just wondering what it means by HDTV out though? Is this with HDMI, through the digital tuner, or with an attachment that has Component video out?
The picture of the back of the card shows the standard analog blue connector, s-video & dvi, so was just wondering about that.

edit: just read this review, not so sure about this one now..

Quote:

Poor design

Pros: Well the card works good while it's actually working. The 2D is beautifull. 3D lacks on the frame rates. Anyting more than casual gaming will crash the card after 30 min or so....

Cons: There is a chip on the back side of the card called an hsi bridge chip to convert pci-E to agp....it has no heat sink on it!! This chip gets Blazingly hot and burnt my finger as I touched it while pl... More »
aying oblivion. It's supposed to have a heat sink on it...the chip overheats and crashes the computer. Total design flaw here!! All Nvidia cards have a heat sink on the bridge chip...it's verry important!

Other Thoughts: Why do none of the agp ATI cards have a heat sink on this chip? It must me getting up in the 100's of degrees c ...it almost burnt my finger off.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2006 10:22:22 PM

While useful for sure, don't let 1 or 2 newegg user reviews keep you away from a card. Some of the people posting there are absolutely clueless to say the least.

This card does have component outputs with the red/blue/green adaptor. Avivo is supposed to offer better image quality. More info:
http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ov.php?id=220&vi....
http://www.ati.com/technology/Avivo/index.html

The X1600 pro is no powerhouse, but it offers the best performance by far in it's price range. Not to mention the quiet VGA silencer that comes on the IceQ's and the Flatout game too. You have to spend alot more to do better performance, especailly a quiet faster card. I have a Sapphire X1600 pro AGP and it's easily better than a 9800 pro in features and performance. This review surprisingly shows it having an easy time defeating the X700 pro, which is near 6600GT levels. http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=545

Anyway, I just recommended this card to a customer this morning and am waiting for an email on whether I should order it or not. Unfortuanetly AGP choices stink, yet this is one of the few AGP cards that offers alot for the money. For older games it's plenty poweful enough. And again, in AGP there is little other choice under $150. A X800GTO would be a step up in perfomance and down in features, and they run over $150.
May 28, 2006 12:54:50 AM

Quote:
While useful for sure, don't let 1 or 2 newegg user reviews keep you away from a card. Some of the people posting there are absolutely clueless to say the least.

Agree, most reviews are usless since there are n00bs that post there. Some review can give good info, but better check TG Forumz to find out the best info :p 
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2006 2:05:54 AM

Don't buy this card. I put it in my Pentium 4 1.6GHz emachines with 256MB of RAM. It's better than the onboard graphics, but With 512MB of memory I expected it to play COD2 and Oblivion at max details. it didn't. It was also full of lag in BF2, especially while gaming online in 64 player games. And my system still locks up in many games. Avoid this card, it's a waste of money. Newegg rules though!" :roll: ----- Yeah, you see everything in newegg user reviews. :lol: 

Also there are the This 6600GT is awesome. I can play every game at 1280x1024 with max details, 4xAAA, Softshadows and HDR and it's super smooth. Highly recommended...It's the best!
May 28, 2006 2:32:01 AM

Quote:
better check TG Forumz to find out the best ATi biased info :p 

Fixed.
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2006 2:52:07 AM

:roll:

If I didn't like you so much, I'd say go home GW. :wink:
May 28, 2006 3:32:08 AM

If your not going to be playing games and need a quiet card then either of these should do they both have 256MB of RAM and are silent:

Nvidia

ATI

Found them in a couple of minutes just have a bit of a look around if you don't like the look of these or you need something different.
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2006 3:40:19 AM

FX5200 and R9250.... He'd have to strike "performance" out of the thread Title for those cards. :wink:
May 28, 2006 8:02:53 AM

thanks guys, will check into all of these.

worth mentioning: cost isn't really an object here, considering i just spent $4000 on a monitor ;) 
May 28, 2006 12:12:15 PM

Quote:
Don't buy this card. I put it in my Pentium 4 1.6GHz emachines with 256MB of RAM. It's better than the onboard graphics, but With 512MB of memory I expected it to play COD2 and Oblivion at max details. it didn't. It was also full of lag in BF2, especially while gaming online in 64 player games. And my system still locks up in many games. Avoid this card, it's a waste of money. Newegg rules though!" :roll: ----- Yeah, you see everything in newegg user reviews. :lol: 

Also there are the This 6600GT is awesome. I can play every game at 1280x1024 with max details, 4xAAA, Softshadows and HDR and it's super smooth. Highly recommended...It's the best!

LMAO!!!!!!! :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2006 2:26:25 PM

Quote:
thanks guys, will check into all of these.

worth mentioning: cost isn't really an object here, considering i just spent $4000 on a monitor ;) 

Must be nice. :D 

If you want more performance look into a 7800GS in AGP or even better switch to PCI-e and cards like X1800XT, X1900XT, 7900GT and buy a quiet aftermarket cooler for it. But unless you are playing newer games than what you mentioned, they wouldn't be worth spending the extra cash on.
May 28, 2006 6:51:01 PM

Must be nice for 4 grand 8O. If you need a high performance card one of these should do:

Newegg

They arn't that quiet but soon you will be able to buy a near silent arctic cooler products for them called Accelero S2.

Or get the Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ SILENT shipped to you from the UK here which is the best AGP card you can get if money is not an object it is pretty quiet but is a bit overkill if you arn't a hardcore gamer.
!