Sign in with
Your question

One of my power supplies fans has just stopped....

Last response: in Components
May 27, 2006 5:20:45 PM

I kind of got angry with the noise my crappy 600w power supply was making, so i hit it. Now one of the fans (it had a loud 80mm fan, and a slow 120mm fan) just wont work. Fiddled with it for ages and nothing happens. Only the 120mm fan works now. Do you think I will get away with just the 120mm fan, or will the pc blow up? The pc generally runs quite cool... but there is an X1800XT and a prescott sitting beneath it...
May 27, 2006 5:24:57 PM

LMAO,

u guys make me laugh

ok, just open up the PSU and just reconned the fans i would thing, if u did that buy a new 80mm fan , that;ll solve ur problems.

and if all else fails u can try with the 1 x 120mm.
May 28, 2006 6:56:02 AM

Quote:
LMAO,

u guys make me laugh

ok, just open up the PSU and just reconned the fans i would thing, if u did that buy a new 80mm fan , that;ll solve ur problems.

and if all else fails u can try with the 1 x 120mm.

Bad advice.... You don't tell someone who doesn't know, to just open up

your PSU. If you do that, and aren't careful, you can get a nice zapp...There

are caps in there that can hold a charge for hours. Secondly, some PSU

fans are wired in....no connector, and some that do have connectors....

the connector is different from a regular case fan(like a GPU fan connector).

Just try it with the 120 running. Monitor your temps, and feel the side of

the PSU, while under load. The 120 may be enough to cool the PSU, and

your case temps may JUST rise a little. Good thing the 80 stopped, and

not the 120. One thing....you accomplished what you intended to do, when you smacked it....you stopped the noise. :wink: In the future, i

would try to NOT hit things. GL :) 
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 28, 2006 7:34:33 AM

I agree with 1Tanker, don't mess around with a PSU because the capacitors can hold a charge for several weeks, not just hours.

I guess the good thing is that the dead 800mm fan should lower the noise a bit. But definitely monitor the heat in your case.

If you decide to replace the PSU, then I recommend the Seasonic S12 600. It definitely has a quiet fan. But do you really need a 600w PSU? A lot of people who think they need a 600w PSU can easily get by with a 450w PSU.
May 28, 2006 2:28:09 PM

well, i only got 600w to be safe... It has to power a pentium 4 3.2ghz extreme edition, a raptor, two other hdds, 2 optical drives, sound card, 1gb ram, and an X1800XT
May 28, 2006 6:39:21 PM

ok, sure, dont open it that would be a bad idea.

big if it over heats im sure the 80mm is facing out wards, just grab a new 80mm fan and tape it on th eoutside over where the one thats proken it, moake sure u get a lenghty cable for it that way u can power it.

and if u wanna be cheap, get a small table fan, and stick it back there.
June 1, 2006 11:37:51 AM

I have replaced a number of PSU fans. It's not a big deal.

Sometimes it's necessary to swap connectors, sometimes you can run the fan wires out the case opening and connect to a regular 4-pin Molex.

Worst case, you change the connector. A soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing are nice to have for this.

The danger from capacitors is exaggerated.
!