Which CPU for a server?

wuhtzu

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
Hey guys

I am building a server, which will be used as a file server and game server. It will host a CS:S server and host files for download from my website, and I have concerns about the CPU.

The only demands for my server is that it uses as little power as possible (but still be capable of the tasks) and it has to be quite, which means passive cooling.

That comes down to two suggestions:

#1:
VIA EPIA MII 10000 (Motherboard and 1GHz CPU produced by VIA)
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=202

A "normal" CPU, like AMD64 3000+

Which one would you choose to run a server like the one i describe? The cool thing about VIA is that it is very small and uses about 30W total, but the cpu is not so fast. The AMD64 3000+ is cool because I have a s939 motherboard already and it is fast, but it uses more power...

Wuhtzu

dmantech

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
Go for a 939 socket Opteron or a X2 3800+. The Opty's are good for severs and the X2 processors are good too! So go for the opteron or a dual core processor.

ethernalite

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Given those requirements, I'd just go with a Core Duo processor (or some other mobile processor). Even the cheapest one will be able to handle a basic CS:S server.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Given those requirements, I'd just go with a Core Duo processor (or some other mobile processor). Even the cheapest one will be able to handle a basic CS:S server.

ethernalite Your a Retard :roll: . If he already has a 939Socket Why go for another Mobo and CPU all he needs is a AMD Athlon64 3000+ or a 3200+ they only need a good Copper/aluminum heatsink and they won't even need a fan

iterations

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I agree with Yo_Kid. In this case, especially since this is very loose definition of "server" and you already own a 939 mobo. Just go for the 3000+ and call it a day.

wuhtzu

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
Thank you guys.. :)

This thread and the others may make me look like an idiot, but my expirience tells me that you can't do that much talk about background stuff (like details about the server) because it will make ppl loose focus on the question :)

But the server is, as I have told you before, going to be used as a fileserver, hosting files for download at my website and for storing files. Besides that it will be running a CS:S game server, with 16players. Any guide about the CS:S server part states that a 1GHz CPU will be just fine for about any cs:s server you could possibly think of.

So I thought it didn't need that much power, either for the file server nor the game server.