poweredge 2500

doogan

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
hi everyone - I am looking to start building a home system and have managed to get my hands on a dell poweredge 2500 ( free!!). has anyone utilised this case/psu cooling system for a more modern/higher end system. I was thinking of stripping it down completly apart fromthe psu/cooling and just utilizing the case..

it this a waste of time ... has anyone tried it. I suspect maybe that once i get into it i may find incompatibilities etc with fitting a new mobo / to connectors on the power suplies. is this worth exploring?

any input appreciated

thanks

That is going to be quite a project, from what I recall those chassis aren't really standard anything and has triple-hot-swap PSUs and 6 hot-swap SCSI trays. It should be relatively easy to take all apart except for the PSU and HDD mounting cages since all others are FRUs.

The hard part is going to be mounting the standard mobo, psu and hdd cages unless you cut them out of a trashed or cheap atx case and remount in the server case - which could look pretty cool depending on your dremel skills :wink: