Help! Shutdown on power up: Antec PSU & Asus A8NSLI

scsuperlight

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
Last week after a month of stable use after initial build, the computer shut down unexpectedly. I powered it on and it stayed working over the next day or so, then shut down again. It will no longer power up completely. Turning it on just lights up the LEDs, drive lights and fans whir for a second after hitting the power button, then all turns off.

Initially, after research, I thought this was related to the incompatibility issue with Antec Neo PSUs and Asus boards, so I RMAed the PSU to Asus and received a "Rev 3.1" to replace my "Rev 3" NeoHE 550 (funny, Antec support told me to expect a "Rev 4). After install, same thing. In fact, I bought an Antec Smartpower 2.0 500W today and same thing. I updated the BIOS to the latest from Asus during initial build as well.

Could my motherboard have been damaged by the original PSU? Help!!!

I have:
Asus A8N SLI Premium board
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) Platinum RAM
Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Processor w/ stock CPU fan
Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 PSU
XFX Geforce 6800 XTreme video card
Western Digital Raptor 74GB x2 (RAID 0)
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB
XG Quantum Case

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Last week after a month of stable use after initial build, the computer shut down unexpectedly. I powered it on and it stayed working over the next day or so, then shut down again. It will no longer power up completely. Turning it on just lights up the LEDs, drive lights and fans whir for a second after hitting the power button, then all turns off.

Initially, after research, I thought this was related to the incompatibility issue with Antec Neo PSUs and Asus boards, so I RMAed the PSU to Asus and received a "Rev 3.1" to replace my "Rev 3" NeoHE 550 (funny, Antec support told me to expect a "Rev 4). After install, same thing. In fact, I bought an Antec Smartpower 2.0 500W today and same thing. I updated the BIOS to the latest from Asus during initial build as well.

I have:
XG Quantum Case

i think that is related to motherboard problem. i had the same problem in the past. The only difference is that my computer never boots up even though all the lights are on. You might want to check the connections again. If every thing is all right , you might want switch the motherboard.

scsuperlight

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
linux_0,

Do you mean try powering up the board outside of the case? What am I checking for on the brass standoffs and what does this have to do with system shutdowns?

Thanks...

linux_0

Splendid
linux_0,

Do you mean try powering up the board outside of the case? What am I checking for on the brass standoffs and what does this have to do with system shutdowns?

Thanks...

Yes that's exactly what I meant.

If the brass standoffs are shorting the motherboard out that can cause all kinds of problems and might even fry your board.

scsuperlight

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
I finally had the time to try out your suggestion. I lifted the motherboard and propped it up above the brass standoffs. Still shutdown after powering up!

HELP!!!

linux_0

Splendid
I finally had the time to try out your suggestion. I lifted the motherboard and propped it up above the brass standoffs. Still shutdown after powering up!

HELP!!!

Did you try it completely outside the case on a non-conductive surface like cardboard?

Disconnect all cables, PCI/PCI-E cards and everything else except for for the ATX and ATX 12V connectors.

scsuperlight

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
I tried all the above suggestions until I finally tried swapping the Asus A8NSLI Premium board and the CPU now powers up fine and enters the boot sequence and stays on without shutting down!

But now I got the "NTLDR is Missing" message. I upgraded the BIOS to the same one prior to the swap and also configured the BIOS to enable RAID, enabled the 2 Raptor drives as part of the array accordingly (and the OS did recognize this RAID 0 drive).

I then tried copying the "ntldr" and "ntdetect.com" files from the Windows XP disc to the C drive using the recovery console (which I was able to do). But now after booting I got "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <Windows Root.system32hal.dll" message.

Did I miss a step after I swapped the boards?

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I tried all the above suggestions until I finally tried swapping the Asus A8NSLI Premium board and the CPU now powers up fine and enters the boot sequence and stays on without shutting down!

But now I got the "NTLDR is Missing" message. I upgraded the BIOS to the same one prior to the swap and also configured the BIOS to enable RAID, enabled the 2 Raptor drives as part of the array accordingly (and the OS did recognize this RAID 0 drive).

I then tried copying the "ntldr" and "ntdetect.com" files from the Windows XP disc to the C drive using the recovery console (which I was able to do). But now after booting I got "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <Windows Root.system32hal.dll" message.

Did I miss a step after I swapped the boards?

scsuperlight wrote:

I have:
XG Quantum Case

i think that is related to motherboard problem. i had the same problem in the past. The only difference is that my computer never boots up even though all the lights are on. You might want to check the connections again. If every thing is all right , you might want switch the motherboard.

Hello

glad that you can boot up now. Now get back to the problem.

If you want to do raid, you need to use proper drivers. You need to press F6 or F2 ( i am not sure) during the initial installation. you need to have a floppy drive. Ok. install all the drivers and reformat the hard drives. After that , start your insallation.

Let me know if it helps.

Bye.

scsuperlight

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
htoonthura,

This is not an initial build. I have had the computer working and in use for over a month before I got the shutdown problem. So all the RAID drivers, etc. were already installed and working.

All I have done essentially, is swap motherboards on an exisitng system(exact duplicate board, and replaced all physical connectors to the board in the same order, etc.). Do I need to do a reinstall of the OS for that?

Thanks

linux_0

Splendid
htoonthura,

This is not an initial build. I have had the computer working and in use for over a month before I got the shutdown problem. So all the RAID drivers, etc. were already installed and working.

All I have done essentially, is swap motherboards on an exisitng system(exact duplicate board, and replaced all physical connectors to the board in the same order, etc.). Do I need to do a reinstall of the OS for that?

Thanks

Sounds like windows is confused.

Use Knoppix to backup any files you can't live without, re-format and re-install.

Good luck :-D

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
htoonthura,

Thanks

Hello

If you are using win xp , yes, you need to reinstall it again. Win xp is very hardware specific os. That means it keeps records of every hardware. Every hardware is specific assignment and even if they are identical, the hardware assignments are different. Unfortunately, you need to reinstall it again in order to get it working again.

Let me know if my response helps.

Bye.

Pokaris

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
htoonthura,

Thanks

Possibly, sometimes different board revisions have different onboard components and that freaks windows out. Anyone know if there are issues with this board? I just lost the top PCI Express slot in mine, and it's really the first trouble I've had with an Asus board.

scsuperlight

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
Wow, and I guess the image I created of my boot drive using Acronis True Image is now useless as well since it will only work on the previous board? I spent forever setting up the applications and perfecting the installs for this video and graphics workstation.

Is there any way to save my app installs and files and just repair the Windows XP OS? At the very least, how can I transfer out my files in the easiest manner (I'm not linux saavy and I don't know Knoppix)?

linux_0

Splendid
Wow, and I guess the image I created of my boot drive using Acronis True Image is now useless as well since it will only work on the previous board? I spent forever setting up the applications and perfecting the installs for this video and graphics workstation.

Is there any way to save my app installs and files and just repair the Windows XP OS? At the very least, how can I transfer out my files in the easiest manner (I'm not linux saavy and I don't know Knoppix)?

You can use Knoppix and partimage to create an image of your partition and and copy it to an external hard drive, network drive, or other storage device.

And then try to relocate those applications from the image to your fresh XP install with windoze tools.

Keep in mind however it's always best to re-install everything this being windoze.