Windows XP Installation?

Can anyone help please, I ahve just discovered that my
Windows XP is illegal! (After a year!) Anyway I am buying
a legal copy from USA and getting it sent to me here in
Spain. What I am not sure of is when I install it ovr this
illegal copy will I lose all my data and other programmes?
Like Tom Tom documents, photos etc?
This is an ignorant Englishman asking for help from the
USA to use in Spain!
Hoping you can help!
Mike Tagg

Hi Mike

You can run a 'Repair' install of XP and insert the new PK when asked to do
so. A Repair install should leave your files, programs and settings intact.
However, you may like to backup any valuable data files beforehand. You
will need to have the version of XP that is already installed otherwise you
will have to perform a 'Clean' install, losing everything off the hard
disk/partition - data files can be backup first.

The following article by Michael Stevens will help you with the Repair
install:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Quasimodo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help please, I ahve just discovered that my
> Windows XP is illegal! (After a year!) Anyway I am buying
> a legal copy from USA and getting it sent to me here in
> Spain. What I am not sure of is when I install it ovr this
> illegal copy will I lose all my data and other programmes?
> Like Tom Tom documents, photos etc?
> This is an ignorant Englishman asking for help from the
> USA to use in Spain!
> Hoping you can help!
> Mike Tagg

Hello Will,
Many thanks for your advice. It really is appreciated! You
are a star! I was very worried about losing my data.
Once again, many thanks.

You're welcome Mike.