Ok so should i stick with my Athlon 64 X2 (T) 3800+ 2.0 GHz?

kingofnoobs

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
Ok so im hearing lots of stuff about this new AM2 and Conroe, but i really dont think i need that since all i'm doing is playing some good PC games (Half Life 2, Doom 3, etc) and i dont think i will need things like those. I personally don't think that there are any programs right now to really take advantage of that stuff.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=en&product=1843642&lang=en&docname=c00607960

I am getting that PC on June 4th, i am just wondering, will this PC last me a good 4 Years? i figure that since it uses Socket 939, when the current processor gets really bad, the AMD FX 62 will be cheap by then and i can just pop out the old one and pop that one in. (and by then it should be pretty cheap) so im just asking, should i buy this computer now? I think its a really good value, since im getting it for roughly 700

PS: I have another question, What budget video card would i need to get to turn this pc into a moderate/high level gaming machine? thanks in advanced. Also, im new to the forumz here so be nice!

The FX-62 is for AM2 only. The fastest S939 Athlon you can get is the FX-60. Once S939 production ends this year, you can expect AMD to raise the prices of all S939 Athlons to encourage people to transistion to socket AM2. They have done this with the Athlon XP, raising prices to encourage people to switch to the socket S754 Athlon 64.

If you expect to upgrade to the FX-60 in 3 or 4 years expect to pay more then, if any are available. If you can afford a better CPU then get something faster than the 3800+. The Asus A8N-LA is most likely a custom board for HP so don't expect any overclocking capabilities.

As for the GPU, get the nVidia 7600GT for $155 after a mail-in rebate.

If you can afford $265, then get the 7900GT.
That is also after a rebate.

Since the power supply is not listed I will not recommend a highend ATI card since they consume a lot of power.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Build your own computer, get some decent cooling equipement and overclock, that'll keep you busy for some time :D

jaguarskz is right on, you'll need a real GPU if you're into gaming, that lousy intergated video won't cut it.

darth_farter

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2004
if you want something to last it may be an idea to jump on the conroe bandwagon, it will offer most likely more performance and thus durability for newer games.

bad thing about conroe is probably limited cpu drop-in upgradeability as intel is not often backwards compatible with newer cpu's and older mainboards...

good thing is that is will be available in less then 2 months and will drive the prices down on both amd/intel cpu's so I'd suggest getting the HP 3800+ system after the conroe launch which should drop it's (amd's) price.

second option I'd recommend you is AM2 as on that socket you can just drop in the 65nm amd cpu's end this year/2007 plug&play style... these should be a bit better then the current 90nm 3800+es as in the system you're buying.

bottom line wait till end july if possible by any means as it should/could be a lot cheaper.

if not go ahead and that system should do fine.

kickbutt

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
You will ALWAYS get better and more powerfull computers the longer u wait. If it aint conroe its somting else.

As others has said if u can wait till after the summer u will prob get more bang for the buck (no u will never "miss" that oportunity on the good deal - there will get new ones cheaper and better).

The integrated solution one the PC u picked lets u to play older games (3-4y old) pretty ok. Dont even think starting oblivion or some new state of the art game on that.

New GPU?
as suggested the 6600GT is good but -7600GT- is what u want now or if u got the gold the 7900GT (all nvidia). Ati's 1800 GTO should also be a good choice parhaps even the x1600XT(?).

linux_0

Splendid
I agree build your own :-D

You'll get a much better system that way.

If you can wait a few months you will be able to get a much better system for less! :-D

I would advise you to wait for the 65nm AMDs and the new Intels releasing in 2-6 months, especially if you plan to keep your system for 4 years.

kingofnoobs

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
But, barely any applications take advantage of 64 Bit, and none take advantage of dual core (except games), and im on a tight budget and i cant wait? I'm asking if this + 1 gig more ram + a good GPU would make a good system that would last for 4 years. If not explain how it will not. because from what i have seen this will easily last 4 years.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
That's a nice system you linked to. Toss a 7900GT in that puppy and you're set. maybe another gig of ram too.

If you're gonna go the distance 4+ years, may as well wait a couple months and get a Core2. It will get ya there.

kingofnoobs

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
But it's going to be... really... expensive. I think i will just take your other advice and add 1 gig more ram and 7900GT, and lucky for me this takes up to 4 gigs of ram so thats upgradable as well, and socket 939, i can always add the AMD FX 60 yay..!

kingofnoobs

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
bah, this is why i gate shopping for computers, updated the minute you buy it, but anyway i think this system will last, coupled with some more ram and a good video card. and since this already has the latest tech's like Dual Core and 64 Bit, this should last very long!

linux_0

Splendid
But, barely any applications take advantage of 64 Bit, and none take advantage of dual core (except games), and im on a tight budget and i cant wait? I'm asking if this + 1 gig more ram + a good GPU would make a good system that would last for 4 years. If not explain how it will not. because from what i have seen this will easily last 4 years.

I would say this would be a nice system as OEM systems go :-D

I would be a bit concerned about the PSU.

That system + 1GB RAM + 7900GT would make a nice system but anyone that tells you it is guaranteed to last you 4 years would be lying.

The good news is, it will be upgradeable to an FX-60 or better and you can always upgrade the VGA card :-D

The X2 3800 is a very good choice and it is attractively priced.

kingofnoobs

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
Thats what i have been saying all this time. This system is extremely upgradable, i can either upgrade to an AMD X2: 4800+ for better application running, or an AMDFX:60 for better game running. either way its a good deal!

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Thats what i have been saying all this time. This system is extremely upgradable, i can either upgrade to an AMD X2: 4800+ for better application running, or an AMDFX:60 for better game running. either way its a good deal!

Not quite a good deal, overclocking can easely bridge the gap between an X2 3800+ and an FX60 (obviously, you can't add cache to a core but it's easy to compensate with a few hundred MHz), unfortunately, I doubt an OEM mobo, crappy PSU and RAM would allow you that kind of headroom.

kingofnoobs

Distinguished
May 28, 2006

Not quite a good deal, overclocking can easely bridge the gap between an X2 3800+ and an FX60 (obviously, you can't add cache to a core but it's easy to compensate with a few hundred MHz), unfortunately, I doubt an OEM mobo, crappy PSU and RAM would allow you that kind of headroom.
i already reasearched that you can only overclock it to 2.4, compared to the standard 2.0, and if you just download the latest bios update you can overclock, since this is a modified version of the Asus board.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

i already reasearched that you can only overclock it to 2.4, compared to the standard 2.0, and if you just download the latest bios update you can overclock, since this is a modified version of the Asus board.

I am nearly 100% positive you wont be able to OC OR flash the BIOS with anything other then the HP BIOS for that mobo... I have two Compaq's here with Asus mobo's (amazingly close to the ones you link....) and I tried for a few weeks with modbin and some other BIOS hacking tools... all for nothing.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002

Seems like you are trying to justify a bad buy despite all odds, why settle with a mere 20% OC when '06 Manchester cores got a whole lot more untapped potential than that ?

kingofnoobs

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
because it costs less? if money weren't a issue then i would just buy all of the latest stuff, however im not bill gates so i cant do that..

linux_0

Splendid
because it costs less? if money weren't a issue then i would just buy all of the latest stuff, however im not bill gates so i cant do that..

Here's a very similar config for about $1028 delivered from newegg.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=3327846

http://spare2.com/05292006_1k.html

This is just for the hardware. With better hardware I might add.

For about $100 more you can add an Opteron 165 an OC'ing motherboard and Corsair XMS.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=3327846

For about $100 more you can add an Opteron 165 an OC'ing motherboard and Corsair XMS.

Nice 'rig for such a low price, it's a great deal compared to the HP system.

linux_0

Splendid

Nice 'rig for such a low price, it's a great deal compared to the HP system.

Oh ya, I almost forgot..... You need an OS too.....

Linux + BSD + FreeDOS = $0

Never having to deal with M$ = priceless :-D

linux_0

Splendid
Oh ya, I almost forgot..... You need an OS too.....

Linux + BSD + FreeDOS = $0

Never having to deal with M$ = priceless :-D

Hehe ! I saw that one coming ! :lol:

Hehe :-D :-D

The OP is of course free to choose any OS.

M$ however is anti-choice.