how many fans is enough?

rxzero

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
hi before i start need to clear something up as i am a complete comp hardware newbie ... jus wanna make sure of something.. molex connectors are the 4 pin connectors from the psu right?

how many fans is recommended in a system with the following:
P4 northwood (fink its called) 2.8ghz (has heatsink etc)
GA 8I848P-G
2x 512mb ddr ram
1 bfg 7800gs oc agp
2x hdd
480w truepwoer 2.0 psu
i ahve a antec vcool under where the video card is 1 80mm fan where the hdd is. there is also a side fan connected to a panel and a 80mm fan ontop inside the case. is this enough ventalation for it or should i connect another set of duel 80mm fans under where the psu is?

and how many fans is safe connected to 1 molex connector?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
hi before i start need to clear something up as i am a complete comp hardware newbie ... jus wanna make sure of something.. molex connectors are the 4 pin connectors from the psu right?

how many fans is recommended in a system with the following:
P4 northwood (fink its called) 2.8ghz (has heatsink etc)
GA 8I848P-G
2x 512mb ddr ram
1 bfg 7800gs oc agp
2x hdd
480w truepwoer 2.0 psu
i ahve a antec vcool under where the video card is 1 80mm fan where the hdd is. there is also a side fan connected to a panel and a 80mm fan ontop inside the case. is this enough ventalation for it or should i connect another set of duel 80mm fans under where the psu is?

and how many fans is safe connected to 1 molex connector?

Yes the big 4-pin is Molex. 2 more 80's under the PSU would help, BUT

may not be necessary. 2.8 Northwood doesn't create much heat. Monitor

your case temps, and decide from there. You don't really want them to

go much over 30C. If you can afford 2 more 80's, and don't mind

installing them....go for it. Probably 2 "Quiet" fans will still help, without

increasing the noise level too much. GL :)

PS. You should be able to hook up alot more fans than you need to a

Molex, so i wouldn't worry about it.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
molex.jpg

Molex, right. As many fans as you like, they don't draw too much power.

If you can fit 2 fans under the PSU then go for it, get them around the 30cfm air flow each.

rxzero

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
ok cool, so if i connected the 2x 80mm fans under the psu, the side and top panel fans, the fan where the hdd racks are (total of 5 fans) connected to the one molex connector is alright?

another question, my computer case comes with a lcd screen that shows the hardware info. It can show the cpu fan's speed but i'm not sure how to plug it in. the fan that is connected to the mobo, do i remove that connector and plug it into the connector that is with the case? (sry if my description is confusing)

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
ok cool, so if i connected the 2x 80mm fans under the psu, the side and top panel fans, the fan where the hdd racks are (total of 5 fans) connected to the one molex connector is alright?
Yes, the 5 fans total would be about the same as 1 cd drive at most.

another question, my computer case comes with a lcd screen that shows the hardware info. It can show the cpu fan's speed but i'm not sure how to plug it in. the fan that is connected to the mobo, do i remove that connector and plug it into the connector that is with the case? (sry if my description is confusing)
Any instructions come with it? Do you have a link or model name/number?
Leave the fan connected to the mobo until you work it out.

rxzero

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
The case is a generic brand. it comes with the world worst instruction manual. it is very simplistic. the instruction manual shows a diagram of supposedly male cpu fan powerline then says " to connect cpu fan, length 850mm. 11p wiving" and thats about it.