Upgrades - new case needed?

sandiegokevin

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
Plan to upgrade two computers, although it would be more correct to say replace. Can I Reuse the case - at least on the second one?

FIRST

From Intel-SE440BX2 Pentium III to (probably) ABIT NI8 SLi with Intel Celeron D 326 or 325.
I know I need a new powersupply (and pretty much everything else). I understand that the case will have to be replaced, but want to confirm. These are the things I want to keep: Floppy (although I'm not sure when I last used) DVD-ROM and DVD-Burner

Second

From ABIT BL7 Pentium 4 1.6ghz to (probably) ABIT AA8XE (or AG8) with Pentium 4 650. I'd like to keep the case, but replace the power supply. Again, keeping the floppy, the CD-ROM and DVD Burner, but would like to keep the case.

Why keep the cases? They are a matched set (same height) and fit perfectly in my rather cramped spaces. If I replace, will go with full tower.

(As you can tell, not much of an early adopter...)

Tough to say if your SE440BX2 case needs replacing - it is full size ATX mobo so it *should* accept a standard ATX power supply. if you have a pic it would help, but it is proabably safe to assume you can replace both without issue. Also I would stick the celeron with the non-sli DDR2-533 board, the P4 will be much better since the SLI board uses DDR2-667 for better fsb.

Here are a couple of good deals, depending on how much you want to spend and again difficult to say w/o knowing the rest of your systems' details (and probably why noone responded until now):

COOLER MASTER Real Power RS-450-ACLY 450w $52 shipped @ buypc
Antec TP-II 550W $80 shipped @ chiefvalue

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
replace the cases with some Coolermaster 53* series (ie: 532, 531, 534 as the previous poster stated)

grab 2 of them , the 532 looks the best.

also u prolly wanna replace the cases since well they look better and since they cool better