VoIP Comments

I am the Technical Systems Admin for a school district in South Carolina.
We are looking at getting VoIP at two of our locations with a plan to
migrate the rest over the course of 2-3 years and as our WAN bandwidth
grows. One of the key things here is we are looking for a product that will
allow us to leverage our existing Nortel Norstar's in two of the locations.
We are looking at the Cisco, Avaya, Mitel, Shoretel, and 3COM. I was
wondering if anyone had any comments on any of these products. Thanks in
advance...

Joey
6 answers Last reply
More about voip comments

    In article <iizKd.63018$fE4.8099886@twister.southeast.rr.com> "Joey
    Kinney" <jkinney@marion7.k12.sc.us> writes:

    >I am the Technical Systems Admin for a school district in South Carolina.
    >We are looking at getting VoIP at two of our locations with a plan to
    >migrate the rest over the course of 2-3 years and as our WAN bandwidth
    >grows. One of the key things here is we are looking for a product that will
    >allow us to leverage our existing Nortel Norstar's in two of the locations.
    >We are looking at the Cisco, Avaya, Mitel, Shoretel, and 3COM. I was
    >wondering if anyone had any comments on any of these products. Thanks in
    >advance...

    The Mitel 3300 (VOIP) in conjunction with its companion Citelink Gateway
    product will allow you to keep your Norstar phones. The Norstar switches
    will go away but your phones will still work with the Mitel 3300 pbx. No
    other vendor can do that.

    Mitel Lurker wrote:
    > In article <iizKd.63018$fE4.8099886@twister.southeast.rr.com> "Joey
    > Kinney" <jkinney@marion7.k12.sc.us> writes:
    >
    > >I am the Technical Systems Admin for a school district in South
    Carolina.
    > >We are looking at getting VoIP at two of our locations with a plan
    > >migrate the rest over the course of 2-3 years and as our WAN
    bandwidth
    > >grows. One of the key things here is we are looking for a product
    that will
    > >allow us to leverage our existing Nortel Norstar's in two of the
    locations.
    > >We are looking at the Cisco, Avaya, Mitel, Shoretel, and 3COM. I
    was
    > >wondering if anyone had any comments on any of these products.
    Thanks in
    > >advance...

    Sounds like you need a box to interconnect PBX tie lines over IP rather
    than to replace the Norstar's, which is not an unusual approach. Have
    you asked Nortel if they can suggest a compatible product for doing
    this?

    Alan

    Sorry, couldn't stop myself :

    "The Mitel 3300 (VOIP) in ..........No other vendor can do that."

    Except for Nortel (obviously with the BCM and 3COM (Nortel native, 3COM also
    with Citelink !)).

    Cheers,
    Steve

    In article <t2xLd.221$497.18@newsfe3-win.ntli.net> "Steve McKee"
    <stevemckeeat@ntlworld.com> writes:

    >Sorry, couldn't stop myself :

    >"The Mitel 3300 (VOIP) in ..........No other vendor can do that."

    >Except for Nortel (obviously with the BCM and 3COM (Nortel native, 3COM also
    >with Citelink !)).

    Thanks Steve. Of course you're right. I had completely forgotten that
    Citelink had a channel partner relationship with 3Com, even before they
    partnered with Mitel. However, now I'm curious, does the 3Com + Citelink
    implementation support only the Norstar phones or does it support both
    Norstar and M1 phones?
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    Hi,
    To be honest I don't know much about Citel, although I am sure they support
    both the Meridian and Norstar handsets within a 3COM install (although it
    may be different gateway cards).

    See :
    www.citel.com

    Sorry for taking the Mick !.

    Regards,
    > In article <t2xLd.221$497.18@newsfe3-win.ntli.net> "Steve McKee"
    > <stevemckeeat@ntlworld.com> writes:
    >
    >>Sorry, couldn't stop myself :
    >
    >>"The Mitel 3300 (VOIP) in ..........No other vendor can do that."
    >
    >>Except for Nortel (obviously with the BCM and 3COM (Nortel native, 3COM
    >>also
    >>with Citelink !)).
    >
    > Thanks Steve. Of course you're right. I had completely forgotten that
    > Citelink had a channel partner relationship with 3Com, even before they
    > partnered with Mitel. However, now I'm curious, does the 3Com + Citelink
    > implementation support only the Norstar phones or does it support both
    > Norstar and M1 phones?

  6. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    Possibly asterisk linux server using the keysystem as a gateway to the
    existing phones. There is documentation on the wiki

    Google your system. or take a good look at asterisk.

    Steve McKee wrote:
    > Hi,
    > To be honest I don't know much about Citel, although I am sure they support
    > both the Meridian and Norstar handsets within a 3COM install (although it
    > may be different gateway cards).
    >
    > See :
    > www.citel.com
    >
    > Sorry for taking the Mick !.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Steve
    > "Mitel Lurker" <wdg@[206.180.145.133]> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <t2xLd.221$497.18@newsfe3-win.ntli.net> "Steve McKee"
    >><stevemckeeat@ntlworld.com> writes:
    >>

    >>>Sorry, couldn't stop myself :
    >>
    >>>"The Mitel 3300 (VOIP) in ..........No other vendor can do that."
    >>
    >>>Except for Nortel (obviously with the BCM and 3COM (Nortel native, 3COM
    >>>also
    >>>with Citelink !)).
    >>
    >>Thanks Steve. Of course you're right. I had completely forgotten that
    >>Citelink had a channel partner relationship with 3Com, even before they
    >>partnered with Mitel. However, now I'm curious, does the 3Com + Citelink
    >>implementation support only the Norstar phones or does it support both
    >>Norstar and M1 phones?

vpn VoIP Networking