  • VoIP
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
January 29, 2005 1:47:42 AM

I am the Technical Systems Admin for a school district in South Carolina.
We are looking at getting VoIP at two of our locations with a plan to
migrate the rest over the course of 2-3 years and as our WAN bandwidth
grows. One of the key things here is we are looking for a product that will
allow us to leverage our existing Nortel Norstar's in two of the locations.
We are looking at the Cisco, Avaya, Mitel, Shoretel, and 3COM. I was
wondering if anyone had any comments on any of these products. Thanks in
advance...

Joey

More about : voip comments

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 1:47:43 AM

In article <iizKd.63018$fE4.8099886@twister.southeast.rr.com> "Joey
Kinney" <jkinney@marion7.k12.sc.us> writes:

>I am the Technical Systems Admin for a school district in South Carolina.
>We are looking at getting VoIP at two of our locations with a plan to
>migrate the rest over the course of 2-3 years and as our WAN bandwidth
>grows. One of the key things here is we are looking for a product that will
>allow us to leverage our existing Nortel Norstar's in two of the locations.
>We are looking at the Cisco, Avaya, Mitel, Shoretel, and 3COM. I was
>wondering if anyone had any comments on any of these products. Thanks in
>advance...

The Mitel 3300 (VOIP) in conjunction with its companion Citelink Gateway
product will allow you to keep your Norstar phones. The Norstar switches
will go away but your phones will still work with the Mitel 3300 pbx. No
other vendor can do that.
January 29, 2005 6:55:59 AM

Mitel Lurker wrote:
> In article <iizKd.63018$fE4.8099886@twister.southeast.rr.com> "Joey
> Kinney" <jkinney@marion7.k12.sc.us> writes:
>
> >I am the Technical Systems Admin for a school district in South
Carolina.
> >We are looking at getting VoIP at two of our locations with a plan
> >migrate the rest over the course of 2-3 years and as our WAN
bandwidth
> >grows. One of the key things here is we are looking for a product
that will
> >allow us to leverage our existing Nortel Norstar's in two of the
locations.
> >We are looking at the Cisco, Avaya, Mitel, Shoretel, and 3COM. I
was
> >wondering if anyone had any comments on any of these products.
Thanks in
> >advance...

Sounds like you need a box to interconnect PBX tie lines over IP rather
than to replace the Norstar's, which is not an unusual approach. Have
you asked Nortel if they can suggest a compatible product for doing
this?

Alan
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 12:03:21 AM

Sorry, couldn't stop myself :

"The Mitel 3300 (VOIP) in ..........No other vendor can do that."

Except for Nortel (obviously with the BCM and 3COM (Nortel native, 3COM also
with Citelink !)).

Cheers,
Steve

"Mitel Lurker" <wdg@[206.180.145.133]> wrote in message
> In article <iizKd.63018$fE4.8099886@twister.southeast.rr.com> "Joey
> Kinney" <jkinney@marion7.k12.sc.us> writes:
>
>>I am the Technical Systems Admin for a school district in South Carolina.
>>We are looking at getting VoIP at two of our locations with a plan to
>>migrate the rest over the course of 2-3 years and as our WAN bandwidth
>>grows. One of the key things here is we are looking for a product that
>>will
>>allow us to leverage our existing Nortel Norstar's in two of the
>>locations.
>>We are looking at the Cisco, Avaya, Mitel, Shoretel, and 3COM. I was
>>wondering if anyone had any comments on any of these products. Thanks in
>>advance...
>
> The Mitel 3300 (VOIP) in conjunction with its companion Citelink Gateway
> product will allow you to keep your Norstar phones. The Norstar switches
> will go away but your phones will still work with the Mitel 3300 pbx. No
> other vendor can do that.

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 12:03:22 AM

In article <t2xLd.221$497.18@newsfe3-win.ntli.net> "Steve McKee"
<stevemckeeat@ntlworld.com> writes:

>Sorry, couldn't stop myself :

>"The Mitel 3300 (VOIP) in ..........No other vendor can do that."

>Except for Nortel (obviously with the BCM and 3COM (Nortel native, 3COM also
>with Citelink !)).

Thanks Steve. Of course you're right. I had completely forgotten that
Citelink had a channel partner relationship with 3Com, even before they
partnered with Mitel. However, now I'm curious, does the 3Com + Citelink
implementation support only the Norstar phones or does it support both
Norstar and M1 phones?
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 3:45:51 AM

Hi,
To be honest I don't know much about Citel, although I am sure they support
both the Meridian and Norstar handsets within a 3COM install (although it
may be different gateway cards).

See :
www.citel.com

Sorry for taking the Mick !.

Regards,
> In article <t2xLd.221$497.18@newsfe3-win.ntli.net> "Steve McKee"
> <stevemckeeat@ntlworld.com> writes:
>
>>Sorry, couldn't stop myself :
>
>>"The Mitel 3300 (VOIP) in ..........No other vendor can do that."
>
>>Except for Nortel (obviously with the BCM and 3COM (Nortel native, 3COM
>>also
>>with Citelink !)).
>
> Thanks Steve. Of course you're right. I had completely forgotten that
> Citelink had a channel partner relationship with 3Com, even before they
> partnered with Mitel. However, now I'm curious, does the 3Com + Citelink
> implementation support only the Norstar phones or does it support both
> Norstar and M1 phones?

February 2, 2005 1:33:43 AM

Possibly asterisk linux server using the keysystem as a gateway to the
existing phones. There is documentation on the wiki

Google your system. or take a good look at asterisk.

!