What power supply?

Tomer

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004
Hey,

I'm buying new computer parts, but I still didn't decide on a power supply. I was wondering how to I know how much voltage I need on my power supply.

Thanks
- Tomer

You PC will not really need a powerful PSU.

Athlon X2 3800+................. 65w not overclocked.
Radeon X1600XT .................42w
2 Sticks of RAM....................10w
2 120mm Case Fans..............12w
Motherboard.........................20w
1 250GB Hard Drive..............18w
1 DVD Drive.........................15w
1 Sound Card........................10w

Total Power Consumption.......192w (at 100% load)
Overclocking CPU to 4800+......21w
Overlclocking GPU...................10w (guess)

Total OC Power Consumption..223w (@ 100% load)

Max power consumption during gameplay......206w

You will need a PSU that can provide at least 18 amps on the 12v rail assuming you are overclocking. You should get one with about 24 amps so that you can add a few more things to it.

A good 400w - 450w PSU with 2 12v rails should provide you with more than enough power.

My PSU suggestions:

SeaSonic S12-430 $103 shipped

XClio 450BL $50 shipped

FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN $60 shipped

Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-450 $67 shipped

billcat479

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
I always try to buy a power supply with the knowlage that it will have future uses and not buy it for what you have now. This mainaly applies to people who do upgrades from time to time. And I always buy the highest quality one so I know it not only will work good now but handle what I may throw at it in the future. With Video cards becomming a major factor I would at least add about 10% over what you think you'll need. I'm putting a computer together now and got a PC Power 510SLI model. I know they are expensive but I've used their brand sence having problems with other brands. I've yet to see any voltage drops or instablity. With most equipment you get what you pay for and at least PC Power makes the most stable and robust power supplies you can find. The 200.00 price tag is just the part that's hard to come to terms with but at least I know if I go SLI and/or buy a bunch of harddrives it will handle it without blinking and should last a few years of upgrades. I know some folks who have to consider a new power supply with each major upgrade though there are many cheaper ones that will work, I won't deny that. I've just had such good luck with this brand and have been amazed by how rock solid the voltage's are under even the heaviest loading. They are well known for this. My previous 400W PC Power supply has lasted over 3 years now and is still rock solid on my soon to be outdated 2500+ XP system with 3 harddrives and an ATI 850 video card. I've seen the insides of other brands and can see the difference in the size of the caps (also the tighter rated ones as well, a lot of parts come with a % tolerance value which is placed on them and easy to see for the most part, and the overall quality build of it from the heatsink layout and caps. Still, much of what anyone buys is personal and money matters as well. I can't fault anyone for getting another brand as it will most likely work about as well.
What started me off on PC Power in the first place after the trouble I had with other power supplies was not only the glowing reviews by PC mag and other sites but they were the only power supply to be rated (its a while so it may not be the extact term and there may have been others but I've never seen any claim this or have it said of it....) Lets see, I think it was Professional grade or business grade.. Sorry that I can't remember but they were recomended for use in computers that needed to have no problems in their applicational use as the type they were used in a crash could cost major bucks. This is what caught my eye when I got my first one and it's never caused a problem to this day. I think the power supply is one of the most important parts you will buy for a computer, it can ruin one if it's not well regulated or shorten component life and power supply troubles are hard to troubleshoot as well. Something to consider. Sorry about the long post but I feel it's important to give you the idea on how important this part of your computer is and not to go cut rate or cheap on it. I'm also not saying the other brands recomended on this thread are not good either because they are good ones. But I would put money on which would come out the best on a hard stress test and the amount of ripple voltage on all rails. Not many I've seen can match the low ripple of the PC Power and Cooling supplies.

billcat479

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
I guess I got carried away, sorry about the paragraph format.
I was more interested in putting up a bit of researching and info. that I've come across about this paticular P.S. and my personal experiences as well and didn't think about counting the amount of words or how the paragraphs (or lack of) were done.
I don't mind your type of message at all, I slipped up and did take a look at it and though easy enough to read it could have been done neater to make it easier. Thanks for letting me know about this.
I won't bother with the background noise from other sources.
Thanks again.....

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I guess I got carried away, sorry about the paragraph format.
I was more interested in putting up a bit of researching and info. that I've come across about this paticular P.S. and my personal experiences as well and didn't think about counting the amount of words or how the paragraphs (or lack of) were done.
I don't mind your type of message at all, I slipped up and did take a look at it and though easy enough to read it could have been done neater to make it easier. Thanks for letting me know about this.
I won't bother with the background noise from other sources.
Thanks again.....

we werent trying to be rude, just being tactful before somone else told ya. forums are picky, its alright, u gotta keep it short and snappy

like this, see this could have gone with the previous "paragraph" but people find is neater when things are broken up.

See. easier to read than this

we werent trying to be rude, just being tactful before somone else told ya. forums are picky, its alright, u gotta keep it short and snappy.like this, see this could have gone with the previous "paragraph" but people find is neater when things are broken up. See. easier to read than this