Instant replay stuttering

I went off instant replay for awhile, because it doesn't play well with
VATSIM (= everyone on the network watches you relive the past).
Self-love was too much for me, though, and I've taken to watching my
landings again (off-line). Thing is, the instant replay is a lot
jerkier than I recall: several seconds of smoothness, then a long
pause, then smoothness again, then a long pause, etc.

Any suggestions? I have 1 gig of RAM and a 128Mb video card; system is
already pretty well tuned for flying -- it's the replay that I'm having
trouble with.

More about instant replay stuttering

    Is it Reply or the Video record option you are using cause anytime I
    recorded a video no matter how low I set my display settings at jerked,
    especially on turns even though I have a good system.

    Ibby

    "David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
    message news:1124663295.8400@forums.simradar.com...
    >I went off instant replay for awhile, because it doesn't play well with
    > VATSIM (= everyone on the network watches you relive the past).
    > Self-love was too much for me, though, and I've taken to watching my
    > landings again (off-line). Thing is, the instant replay is a lot
    > jerkier than I recall: several seconds of smoothness, then a long
    > pause, then smoothness again, then a long pause, etc.
    >
    > Any suggestions? I have 1 gig of RAM and a 128Mb video card; system is
    > already pretty well tuned for flying -- it's the replay that I'm having
    > trouble with.

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:56:07 -0500, David Wilson-Okamura <David
    Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >No, this is the instant replay.

    David.. even with old clunker platform the Replays are smooth. Mostly
    replay 120 sec landing segments (especially with Active Camera).. once
    in a while, TOs. Sometimes the landing replay runs with gear and flaps
    up.. very peculiar. It seems to work ok if Landing Replay is started
    before changing flaps setting and right after `rolling to a stop'.

    No stuttering really. Now.. we'll be overly conscious of it like in
    the previous `jerking' thread. ;)

    -g

    Well.. I think what David is referring to is not actual stuttering..
    I've experienced it too and it's related to the frequency of updates
    for instant replay which is 1 sec or so in Flight simulator, if you
    look closely you'll notice that the replay instead of being a smooth
    sequence of frames looks like a plane warping rapidly from frame to
    frame, you have to pay close attention to notice it.

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:27:03 -0500, Jose L Altuve Jr. <Jose L Altuve
    Jr.@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our attention:

    >Well.. I think what David is referring to is not actual stuttering..
    >I've experienced it too and it's related to the frequency of updates
    >for instant replay which is 1 sec or so in Flight simulator, if you
    >look closely you'll notice that the replay instead of being a smooth
    >sequence of frames looks like a plane warping rapidly from frame to
    >frame, you have to pay close attention to notice it.

    oh.. will have to check that out. doubt the period is 1 sec however it
    gets the point across.

    -g

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:27:03 -0500, Jose L Altuve Jr. <Jose L Altuve
    Jr.@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our attention:

    >Well.. I think what David is referring to is not actual stuttering..
    >I've experienced it too and it's related to the frequency of updates
    >for instant replay which is 1 sec or so in Flight simulator, if you
    >look closely you'll notice that the replay instead of being a smooth
    >sequence of frames looks like a plane warping rapidly from frame to
    >frame, you have to pay close attention to notice it.

    Did a takeoff replay last night and it seems to run at typically the
    same framerate as the normal Sim. Scrutinising it now.. there does
    appear to be some irregularity to the motion.. since the flight is
    being controlled by/transferred from an acquired data stream to the
    FS engine.

    The replays used to run fine.. but now with 4.667 GHz CPUs, 1 billion
    bytes of memory, and spending 1000's $$.. we don't want any single
    break from the most fluid motion.. do we?? { grin }

    -G

    A partial update: about the time I got seriously into VATSIM (and
    therefore stopped using instant replay), I also registered FSUIPC,
    which includes a clock synchronize feature. I haven't tested this
    enough times to see if it was really a factor, but turning the
    synchronize feature OFF seems to have helped. Alas, my tests were few,
    brief, and not very rigorous. And I'm certainly not blaming Pete Dowson
    for anything in my sim. (Although I did notice, in researching this
    issue on his forum, that he doesn't use instant replay -- so it's not
    inconceivable that he would miss this in testing.)

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:35:07 -0500, David Wilson-Okamura <David
    Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >A partial update: about the time I got seriously into VATSIM (and
    >therefore stopped using instant replay), I also registered FSUIPC,
    >which includes a clock synchronize feature. I haven't tested this
    >enough times to see if it was really a factor, but turning the
    >synchronize feature OFF seems to have helped. Alas, my tests were few,
    >brief, and not very rigorous. And I'm certainly not blaming Pete Dowson
    >for anything in my sim. (Although I did notice, in researching this
    >issue on his forum, that he doesn't use instant replay -- so it's not
    >inconceivable that he would miss this in testing.)

    oh hey.. that strikes a cord. Almost three years ago a sync utility
    called FSRealTime came out.. and that caused my tired old platform to
    skip terribly.. and every few seconds. It wasn't usable at all.. like
    active Cam flybys for instance.. the motion would pause in a startling
    way.. seemingly each time the RealTime would update. So then.. disable
    your Time Sync features and see if it clears up.

    Also.. not badmouthing the guy's product/project.. it was good but had
    the serious drawback so described.

    -G

Video Games