2.5" Hard drives (40pin, 44pin?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradsy

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
I need to get a new hard drive for my laptop. My concern is with the pins on the connections. My current one I believe is a 44 pin drive, one of them is missing in the middle so it's really 43. After looking around online I came accross a few which are 40 pin in the description, and 44 pin in the description. Does anyone know if a 40 pin one would work with my connection? Are the 40 pin drives newer and the 44 pin ones older?

Most of the descriptions for 2.5" drives online don't even mention how many pins are on it, does this mean they all work in all connections, or are they leaving out important info? The images often don't show the side with the connection either. I've only seen ones with 44 pins so I could be picking it up wrong but I have seen a drive description with a connector type: 40 pin idc

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
ur in the same hole as me only i was looking for an external enclosure (btw buy an external enclosure)

well all i can say is look for a 2.5" HDD thats IDE

and since u are gonna have a spare HDD lying around get this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817145124

it will convert ur spare HDD into an external HDD , pretty neat huh? im getting one for make my 40 GB external for more room.

its like a big ass USB key , also the vantec is half an inch thick and as tall as a soda can.

Gradsy

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
Well my current drive is on the verge of dieing so I need to replace it fast. It rattles when I take it out. I'm surprised it's still working. :? Anyway can I buy any 2.5" drive? Do I need to worry about number of pins or are they all compatible with my connection? A pic of my current hard drive is below. I'm worried will 40 pin drives connect to it? What about the missing hole (pin 20)?

Pic of my hard drive connector

Qwakrz

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2004
The drive is actually 40+4 pins with the extra 4 being used to select master / slave but they are tagged onto the end of the 40 pins so its easy to get them confused. Make sure you get an IDE 2.5" drive and it should slot in without problems.

Also, alot of 2.5" drives rattle when moved, I have 3 here that do and they are all perfectly servicable. I think that because there is less space inside the drive the heads can move about slightly when they are parked as this allows them to rattle.

Gradsy

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
qwakrz if you check out the picture I posted the drive connector is 44 pin, the slave/master pins are the extra 4 to the right making 48 in total. Still not sure what to do.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
The drive is actually 40+4 pins with the extra 4 being used to select master / slave but they are tagged onto the end of the 40 pins so its easy to get them confused. Make sure you get an IDE 2.5" drive and it should slot in without problems.

Also, alot of 2.5" drives rattle when moved, I have 3 here that do and they are all perfectly servicable. I think that because there is less space inside the drive the heads can move about slightly when they are parked as this allows them to rattle.

yah.... ur crazy dude.....u cant fit 3 HDD's into a laptop

anyways Gradsy i kno what ur talkin about i got a HDD like that its a spare, did it come with like a cover over the 44 pins to make it "laptop ready"

if it did or even if it didnt u'll be fine buying any ole 2.5" IDE HDD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148088

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
no they are not.

u need a 44 pin plug for a laptop HDD. a normal desktop or 3.5" IDE cable wont fit. the pins on a laptop HDD are closer placed and there are 44 pins VS the normal 40, there are also an extra 4 pins for the jumpers after wards.

im positive why? i have a spare laptop HDD and just got an enclosure for it.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Why you are looking for replacing the drive I highly recommend the Hatichi 7K100 7200rpm drive. It will pull 10% more power but you double your I/O speed, to 50-55 mbps. I discovered that productivity went up, I wasn't waiting on the 4200 rpm drive all them time.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I love how everyone just says their opinion as fact when it's wrong. Emerald is correct the 4 extra pins are for power, there are 4 more pins off to the side for slave/master.

My questions is why the debate in the first place? An IDE laptop drive is an IDE laptop drive, it's a standard for chist sake. I have 8 drives of various manufacture and they all look and work the same, imagine that.

If you need to run a laptop drive in a desktop or 3.5" enclosure, get a 2.5ide to 3.5ide adapter, it has a four pin molex like a 3.5" HD that goes into those 4 mystery pins. They cost around $5 on ebay.

G

Sorry to be pedantic, but you are all wrong -- there are 43 pins Plus 4.
There is a gap in the middle of one row with 1 pin omitted

nbgsd

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Sorry to be pedantic, but you are all wrong -- there are 43 pins Plus 4.
There is a gap in the middle of one row with 1 pin omitted

are the last 4 pins out of the 43 pins used for power? That would explain why I am unable to power it in a laptop or external laptop drive. My pins broke off and are missing. I have the 4 for master slave..

All the data is lost then.. I can't boot the drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.