Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Localiser.

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 22, 2005 3:37:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Slowly getting through the learning centre, but am not understanding how to
"Intercept the Localiser".

Had an embarrassingly 'long' flight last night because I kept missing it. Do
I have to put something into the Nav radio?

I know it's in the learning centre somewhere, and I'll get to it, but I want
to find out now. :-(
Cheers,
Chris

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!

More about : localiser

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 3:37:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

In article <43092c79_1@news.iprimus.com.au>, me@there.com.au says...
> Slowly getting through the learning centre, but am not understanding how to
> "Intercept the Localiser".
>
> Had an embarrassingly 'long' flight last night because I kept missing it. Do
> I have to put something into the Nav radio?

Yes, you have to put the frequency of the runway they tell you to land
on into NAV1 and turn on NAV1. The frequencies of all the runways can
be found by clicking (or right clicking, I can't remember) on the
airport in the map view. That's not all there is to intercepting but
hopefully you know the rest.

John Black
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 3:37:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Chris,
The 'Localiser' is part of the ILS (Instrument Landing System) that
exists at most large airports. The ILS system is used for making instrument
approaces to a runway. Not all airports have an ILS system though. To find
out if the airport that you intend to land at has an ILS system, go to the
Map view, and click on the runway that you intend to use. If that runway
lists an ILS frequency, then you should tune your NAV1 radio to that
frequency. An ILS system broadcasts 3 signals. One signal is called the
Localiser, and provides the pilot with information on how the aircraft is
aligned in relation to the centerline of the runway. The second signal is
called the Glideslope, and provides information to the pilot regarding how
high or how low the aircraft is in relation to the desired glideslope for
that runway. There is also a third audio Morse code signal that is broadcast
along with the Localiser and Glideslope signals to help the pilot identify
the correct ILS, and which allows the pilot to verify that he is actually
receiving an ILS signal. Typical ILS approaches are made with the aircraft
at least 10 miles out from the airport, and descending towards the
glideslope. This means that you must plan your approach to the airport area
ahead of time so that you are flying in the same direction as the runway
heading as you approach the airport, and at an altitude so that you can
"intercept" the localiser and glideslope. ILS signals have a relatively
short range, so you must be within range of the ILS system before you can
pick it up. A tutorial on how to fly an ILS approach would be much too long
to include here (this is probably way to long a message as it is) but there
are good tutorials on ILS approaches in the Learning Center of the program,
and at various places on the internet. I hope this helps...

Randy L.

"Chris" <me@there.com.au> wrote in message
news:43092c79_1@news.iprimus.com.au...
> Slowly getting through the learning centre, but am not understanding how
> to "Intercept the Localiser".
>
> Had an embarrassingly 'long' flight last night because I kept missing it.
> Do I have to put something into the Nav radio?
>
> I know it's in the learning centre somewhere, and I'll get to it, but I
> want to find out now. :-(
> Cheers,
> Chris
>
> --
> I'm not always right,
> But I'm never wrong!
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 3:37:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Chris

Just to add to Johns post, you also need to rotate your bearing dial on the
autopilot console to match the alignment of runway (your HSI display should
rotate) and aim to intercept this bearing at approximately 30 degrees and
10nm out i.e. if the runway assigned is Runway 27 which is 270 degrees and
you are approaching from the south you would have the aircraft set to a
heading hold of about 300 degrees (unless ATC gave you a different heading)
with autopilot engaged, heading engaged, alt engaged at say 1800ft (or
whatever height ATC instructed you) and APP turned on. When aircraft
approaches localiser the heading will switch off and aircraft will begin to
turn towards runway. Once aircraft intercepts the glideslope the Alt will
disengage and aircraft will start to descend. Remember to disengage
autopilot and autothrottle if on at approx 250-500 ft.

Ibby

"John Black" <jblack@texas.net> wrote in message
news:MPG.1d7309575451cd269898fc@news.chi.sbcglobal.net...
> In article <43092c79_1@news.iprimus.com.au>, me@there.com.au says...
>> Slowly getting through the learning centre, but am not understanding how
>> to
>> "Intercept the Localiser".
>>
>> Had an embarrassingly 'long' flight last night because I kept missing it.
>> Do
>> I have to put something into the Nav radio?
>
> Yes, you have to put the frequency of the runway they tell you to land
> on into NAV1 and turn on NAV1. The frequencies of all the runways can
> be found by clicking (or right clicking, I can't remember) on the
> airport in the map view. That's not all there is to intercepting but
> hopefully you know the rest.
>
> John Black
August 22, 2005 10:27:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

> there
> are good tutorials on ILS approaches in the Learning Center of the
program,
> and at various places on the internet. I hope this helps...

hi,
i can recommend this to begin with:
http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/

greg
eddf, epjg
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 4:20:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

<snip>> with autopilot engaged, heading engaged, alt engaged at say 1800ft
(or
> whatever height ATC instructed you) and APP turned on. When aircraft
> approaches localiser the heading will switch off and aircraft will begin
to
> turn towards runway.

Is this with AP set in NAV mode or Approach mode? - when is it best to
activate approach mode on the auto-pilot?

Once aircraft intercepts the glideslope the Alt will
> disengage and aircraft will start to descend.

Where on the instruments does it indicate you have intercepted the
glideslope? I attempted a landing, and found the AP started to dip the plane
at around the time I would have hit the glideslope.... the ALT mode remained
on, then after several seconds the plane strted to climb to the selected
altitude again forcing a GA.... am I missing something here? Everything I
have read suggests the ALT light should go out, but is seems to stay on-HELP

Remember to disengage
> autopilot and autothrottle if on at approx 250-500 ft.
>
> Ibby
>
> "John Black" <jblack@texas.net> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1d7309575451cd269898fc@news.chi.sbcglobal.net...
> > In article <43092c79_1@news.iprimus.com.au>, me@there.com.au says...
> >> Slowly getting through the learning centre, but am not understanding
how
> >> to
> >> "Intercept the Localiser".
> >>
> >> Had an embarrassingly 'long' flight last night because I kept missing
it.
> >> Do
> >> I have to put something into the Nav radio?
> >
> > Yes, you have to put the frequency of the runway they tell you to land
> > on into NAV1 and turn on NAV1. The frequencies of all the runways can
> > be found by clicking (or right clicking, I can't remember) on the
> > airport in the map view. That's not all there is to intercepting but
> > hopefully you know the rest.
> >
> > John Black
>
>
August 23, 2005 1:58:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Thanks, I had another go last night with the help of Ibby's reply, and I
actually got it to work as it should. I had the frequency for the wrong
runway punched in, but the exercise was to get the thing working, and not to
test my intelligence, which has previously been proven to be lacking.
The error was caused by me programming in the localiser frequency before I
took off for my destination, and therefore inaccurately pre-guessing the
runway I'd be landing on. I guess the trick is to not program the frequency
until told by ATC which rwy you will be using. Thanks for your help guys!
Chris

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!
"Randy L." <rlink@cableone.net> wrote in message
news:11gjtfudljts3c@corp.supernews.com...
> Chris,
> The 'Localiser' is part of the ILS (Instrument Landing System) that
> exists at most large airports. The ILS system is used for making
> instrument approaces to a runway. Not all airports have an ILS system
> though. To find out if the airport that you intend to land at has an ILS
> system, go to the Map view, and click on the runway that you intend to
> use. If that runway lists an ILS frequency, then you should tune your NAV1
> radio to that frequency. An ILS system broadcasts 3 signals. One signal is
> called the Localiser, and provides the pilot with information on how the
> aircraft is aligned in relation to the centerline of the runway. The
> second signal is called the Glideslope, and provides information to the
> pilot regarding how high or how low the aircraft is in relation to the
> desired glideslope for that runway. There is also a third audio Morse code
> signal that is broadcast along with the Localiser and Glideslope signals
> to help the pilot identify the correct ILS, and which allows the pilot to
> verify that he is actually receiving an ILS signal. Typical ILS approaches
> are made with the aircraft at least 10 miles out from the airport, and
> descending towards the glideslope. This means that you must plan your
> approach to the airport area ahead of time so that you are flying in the
> same direction as the runway heading as you approach the airport, and at
> an altitude so that you can "intercept" the localiser and glideslope. ILS
> signals have a relatively short range, so you must be within range of the
> ILS system before you can pick it up. A tutorial on how to fly an ILS
> approach would be much too long to include here (this is probably way to
> long a message as it is) but there are good tutorials on ILS approaches in
> the Learning Center of the program, and at various places on the internet.
> I hope this helps...
>
> Randy L.
>
> "Chris" <me@there.com.au> wrote in message
> news:43092c79_1@news.iprimus.com.au...
>> Slowly getting through the learning centre, but am not understanding how
>> to "Intercept the Localiser".
>>
>> Had an embarrassingly 'long' flight last night because I kept missing it.
>> Do I have to put something into the Nav radio?
>>
>> I know it's in the learning centre somewhere, and I'll get to it, but I
>> want to find out now. :-(
>> Cheers,
>> Chris
>>
>> --
>> I'm not always right,
>> But I'm never wrong!
>>
>
>
August 23, 2005 2:37:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"kosh" <spam@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:0ZtOe.7578$FA3.2268@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> <snip>> with autopilot engaged, heading engaged, alt engaged at say 1800ft
> (or
>> whatever height ATC instructed you) and APP turned on. When aircraft
>> approaches localiser the heading will switch off and aircraft will begin
> to
>> turn towards runway.
>
> Is this with AP set in NAV mode or Approach mode? - when is it best to
> activate approach mode on the auto-pilot?
>
> Once aircraft intercepts the glideslope the Alt will
>> disengage and aircraft will start to descend.
>
> Where on the instruments does it indicate you have intercepted the
> glideslope? I attempted a landing, and found the AP started to dip the
> plane
> at around the time I would have hit the glideslope.... the ALT mode
> remained
> on, then after several seconds the plane strted to climb to the selected
> altitude again forcing a GA.... am I missing something here? Everything I
> have read suggests the ALT light should go out, but is seems to stay
> on-HELP

I printed out Ibby's post and had it by me whilst I tried it, and it all
worked exactly how Ibby said it should. Only thing I had a bit of trouble
figuring out was to rotate the bearing dial, but soon figured out the
setting at the top labeled 'course' is the one that rotates it. (at least it
is in the 737.) I put the approach button on as soon as I took off, knowingf
it wouldn't find the frequency until I was in range anyway.

Chris



> Remember to disengage
>> autopilot and autothrottle if on at approx 250-500 ft.
>>
>> Ibby
>>
>> "John Black" <jblack@texas.net> wrote in message
>> news:MPG.1d7309575451cd269898fc@news.chi.sbcglobal.net...
>> > In article <43092c79_1@news.iprimus.com.au>, me@there.com.au says...
>> >> Slowly getting through the learning centre, but am not understanding
> how
>> >> to
>> >> "Intercept the Localiser".
>> >>
>> >> Had an embarrassingly 'long' flight last night because I kept missing
> it.
>> >> Do
>> >> I have to put something into the Nav radio?
>> >
>> > Yes, you have to put the frequency of the runway they tell you to land
>> > on into NAV1 and turn on NAV1. The frequencies of all the runways can
>> > be found by clicking (or right clicking, I can't remember) on the
>> > airport in the map view. That's not all there is to intercepting but
>> > hopefully you know the rest.
>> >
>> > John Black
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:37:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Sorry Chris, I read/post at lot of messages from my office without FS9 in
front of me so got a little confused with course/bearing dial on 737.

Ibby

"Chris" <me@there.com.au> wrote in message
news:430a6fb9_1@news.iprimus.com.au...
> "kosh" <spam@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> news:0ZtOe.7578$FA3.2268@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>> <snip>> with autopilot engaged, heading engaged, alt engaged at say
>> 1800ft
>> (or
>>> whatever height ATC instructed you) and APP turned on. When aircraft
>>> approaches localiser the heading will switch off and aircraft will begin
>> to
>>> turn towards runway.
>>
>> Is this with AP set in NAV mode or Approach mode? - when is it best to
>> activate approach mode on the auto-pilot?
>>
>> Once aircraft intercepts the glideslope the Alt will
>>> disengage and aircraft will start to descend.
>>
>> Where on the instruments does it indicate you have intercepted the
>> glideslope? I attempted a landing, and found the AP started to dip the
>> plane
>> at around the time I would have hit the glideslope.... the ALT mode
>> remained
>> on, then after several seconds the plane strted to climb to the selected
>> altitude again forcing a GA.... am I missing something here? Everything I
>> have read suggests the ALT light should go out, but is seems to stay
>> on-HELP
>
> I printed out Ibby's post and had it by me whilst I tried it, and it all
> worked exactly how Ibby said it should. Only thing I had a bit of trouble
> figuring out was to rotate the bearing dial, but soon figured out the
> setting at the top labeled 'course' is the one that rotates it. (at least
> it is in the 737.) I put the approach button on as soon as I took off,
> knowingf it wouldn't find the frequency until I was in range anyway.
>
> Chris
>
>
>
>> Remember to disengage
>>> autopilot and autothrottle if on at approx 250-500 ft.
>>>
>>> Ibby
>>>
>>> "John Black" <jblack@texas.net> wrote in message
>>> news:MPG.1d7309575451cd269898fc@news.chi.sbcglobal.net...
>>> > In article <43092c79_1@news.iprimus.com.au>, me@there.com.au says...
>>> >> Slowly getting through the learning centre, but am not understanding
>> how
>>> >> to
>>> >> "Intercept the Localiser".
>>> >>
>>> >> Had an embarrassingly 'long' flight last night because I kept missing
>> it.
>>> >> Do
>>> >> I have to put something into the Nav radio?
>>> >
>>> > Yes, you have to put the frequency of the runway they tell you to land
>>> > on into NAV1 and turn on NAV1. The frequencies of all the runways can
>>> > be found by clicking (or right clicking, I can't remember) on the
>>> > airport in the map view. That's not all there is to intercepting but
>>> > hopefully you know the rest.
>>> >
>>> > John Black
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 8:52:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Chris" <me@there.com.au> wrote in news:430a6692_1@news.iprimus.com.au:

> Thanks, I had another go last night with the help of Ibby's reply, and
> I actually got it to work as it should. I had the frequency for the
> wrong runway punched in, but the exercise was to get the thing
> working, and not to test my intelligence, which has previously been
> proven to be lacking. The error was caused by me programming in the
> localiser frequency before I took off for my destination, and
> therefore inaccurately pre-guessing the runway I'd be landing on. I
> guess the trick is to not program the frequency until told by ATC
> which rwy you will be using. Thanks for your help guys! Chris
>

Also, watch airspeed. Will be different with each a/c.

--
e v e n S k y

Athalon XP2800
1 G Ram
GeForce FX5900XT
160G H-D
80G H-D
XP, FS9
Wingman Strike force 3D
CH yoke n' pedals
August 24, 2005 3:27:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Randy L's post was also instrumental in my successful interception of the
Localiser! Thanks to you too Randy!
Chris

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!
"Chris" <me@there.com.au> wrote in message
news:430a6fb9_1@news.iprimus.com.au...
> "kosh" <spam@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> news:0ZtOe.7578$FA3.2268@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>> <snip>> with autopilot engaged, heading engaged, alt engaged at say
>> 1800ft
>> (or
>>> whatever height ATC instructed you) and APP turned on. When aircraft
>>> approaches localiser the heading will switch off and aircraft will begin
>> to
>>> turn towards runway.
>>
>> Is this with AP set in NAV mode or Approach mode? - when is it best to
>> activate approach mode on the auto-pilot?
>>
>> Once aircraft intercepts the glideslope the Alt will
>>> disengage and aircraft will start to descend.
>>
>> Where on the instruments does it indicate you have intercepted the
>> glideslope? I attempted a landing, and found the AP started to dip the
>> plane
>> at around the time I would have hit the glideslope.... the ALT mode
>> remained
>> on, then after several seconds the plane strted to climb to the selected
>> altitude again forcing a GA.... am I missing something here? Everything I
>> have read suggests the ALT light should go out, but is seems to stay
>> on-HELP
>
> I printed out Ibby's post and had it by me whilst I tried it, and it all
> worked exactly how Ibby said it should. Only thing I had a bit of trouble
> figuring out was to rotate the bearing dial, but soon figured out the
> setting at the top labeled 'course' is the one that rotates it. (at least
> it is in the 737.) I put the approach button on as soon as I took off,
> knowingf it wouldn't find the frequency until I was in range anyway.
>
> Chris
>
>
>
>> Remember to disengage
>>> autopilot and autothrottle if on at approx 250-500 ft.
>>>
>>> Ibby
>>>
>>> "John Black" <jblack@texas.net> wrote in message
>>> news:MPG.1d7309575451cd269898fc@news.chi.sbcglobal.net...
>>> > In article <43092c79_1@news.iprimus.com.au>, me@there.com.au says...
>>> >> Slowly getting through the learning centre, but am not understanding
>> how
>>> >> to
>>> >> "Intercept the Localiser".
>>> >>
>>> >> Had an embarrassingly 'long' flight last night because I kept missing
>> it.
>>> >> Do
>>> >> I have to put something into the Nav radio?
>>> >
>>> > Yes, you have to put the frequency of the runway they tell you to land
>>> > on into NAV1 and turn on NAV1. The frequencies of all the runways can
>>> > be found by clicking (or right clicking, I can't remember) on the
>>> > airport in the map view. That's not all there is to intercepting but
>>> > hopefully you know the rest.
>>> >
>>> > John Black
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
!