Can I Use Black Ink In a Colour Print Cartridge?

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but can I use a black ink
refill in my coulour cartridge? I have an HP deskjet 3520, and only
received a colour ink cartridge (even though there is space for a
seperate al black cartridge) with the purchase. I have a home ink
refilling kit, and would like to use that instead of paying ~$33US for
a new cartridge. Thanks for the help.
5 answers Last reply
More about black colour print cartridge

    sjmcarter@gmail.com wrote:
    > Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but can I use a black ink
    > refill in my coulour cartridge? I have an HP deskjet 3520, and only
    > received a colour ink cartridge (even though there is space for a
    > seperate al black cartridge) with the purchase. I have a home ink
    > refilling kit, and would like to use that instead of paying ~$33US for
    > a new cartridge. Thanks for the help.

    you must buy one anyway. If you refill color one with black, then you'll get
    some strange greyish color... also color one doesn't go into black one,
    since color cart has 3 heads while black one have only one. Try to get some
    third party cart, comes cheaper and then refill.

    First, most HP blacks are pigment based,
    and so they could quickly clog a cartridge
    designed for dye based inks.

    Assuming you have a dye based photo
    black, there still might be some chemical
    reaction between the color and black inks.

    But if you got an empty color cartridge,
    the most you can lose is the cost of the
    refill. Even if it works (which is a very tall
    order in itself) it probably won't get you
    what you expect, but it may actually work
    to some degree.

    <sjmcarter@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but can I use a black ink
    > refill in my coulour cartridge? I have an HP deskjet 3520, and only
    > received a colour ink cartridge (even though there is space for a
    > seperate al black cartridge) with the purchase. I have a home ink
    > refilling kit, and would like to use that instead of paying ~$33US for
    > a new cartridge. Thanks for the help.

    <sjmcarter@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but can I use a black ink
    > refill in my coulour cartridge? I have an HP deskjet 3520, and only
    > received a colour ink cartridge (even though there is space for a
    > seperate al black cartridge) with the purchase. I have a home ink
    > refilling kit, and would like to use that instead of paying ~$33US for
    > a new cartridge.

    The #27 black cartridge has a list price of $17.99 US, see
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06c/A10-12771-64199-69422-69422-79798-79800-79805.html.
    HP's black ink will react with the color ink on the paper to keep sharp black
    to color transitions, such as when printing a spreadsheet with colored cells or
    highlighted text. If you were to put HP black ink into the color cartridge you
    would cause this reaction in the cartridge, clogging the printhead and
    contaminating the service station and thus ruining future good color
    cartridges. Your home ink may or may not have these properties. It sounds
    like a rather poor idea to me....

    Regards,
  4. now a days there are lot of printers in the market which have very cheep prices. mostly students are purchasing these ecnomical printers. after using when the ink's of the cartridge are empty then they are not using these printers because the price of black and color cartridge's are higher then new printer's.
    mostly black ink cartridge is not durable and have less life. and the heads of the cartridge are blocked and it will not working. and same condation is with the color cartridges. .....
    i have a soulation for these cartridge's for usable again. we can use our printer for black & white print.

    1-first check color cartridge is working or any one color is working little bit in this cartridge. then remove the sticker on top of cartridge and refill black ink in all holes of cartridge.

    2- Refill color cartridge with black ink... buy a black ink butol wohich is Rs:100/- (1US dollor) in market and refill it.
    and donot use black cartriage in printer ....
  5. now a days there are lot of printers in the market which have very cheep prices. mostly students are purchasing these ecnomical printers. after using when the ink's of the cartridge are empty then they are not using these printers because the price of black and color cartridge's are higher then new printer's.
    mostly black ink cartridge is not durable and have less life. and the heads of the cartridge are blocked and it will not working. and same condation is with the color cartridges. .....
    i have a soulation for these cartridge's for usable again. we can use our printer for black & white print.

    1-first check color cartridge is working or any one color is working little bit in this cartridge. then remove the sticker on top of cartridge and refill black ink in all holes of cartridge.

    2- Refill color cartridge with black ink... buy a black ink butol wohich is Rs:100/- (1US dollor) in market and refill it.
    and donot use black cartriage in printer ....

Printers Hewlett Packard Peripherals