VoIP and FAXing

Last response: in Networking
January 29, 2005 9:46:14 AM

I am currently in search for a VoIP provider as SBC is the only land
line solution in my area and I no longer like the way they treat their
customers.

I'm leaning tward Vonage, but my question is, does any of the VoIP
providers have issues when FAXing over the primary line? I know Vonage
can add a dedicated FAX line for $9.99, but I don't do a lot of FAXing
(maybe once a month). Having a second line would be a waste.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

More about : voip faxing

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 11:07:27 PM

The Great Uvageez wrote:

> I am currently in search for a VoIP provider as SBC is the only land
> line solution in my area and I no longer like the way they treat their
> customers.
>
> I'm leaning tward Vonage, but my question is, does any of the VoIP
> providers have issues when FAXing over the primary line? I know Vonage
> can add a dedicated FAX line for $9.99, but I don't do a lot of FAXing
> (maybe once a month). Having a second line would be a waste.
> Any help would be appreciated.

ATT CallVantage says to check with them before using a FAX as only
certain types are supported.
January 30, 2005 1:44:56 AM

In article ID <1107009974.017348.255220@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, "The
Great Uvageez" <uvageez@yahoo.com> writes:

>I'm leaning tward Vonage, but my question is, does any of the VoIP
>providers have issues when FAXing over the primary line? I know Vonage
>can add a dedicated FAX line for $9.99, but I don't do a lot of FAXing
>(maybe once a month). Having a second line would be a waste.
>Any help would be appreciated.

Faxing is supported over the primary line. The dedicated fax line is so you
have a dedicated fax number.
February 1, 2005 2:32:33 AM

Rick Merrill wrote:
> The Great Uvageez wrote:
>
>> I am currently in search for a VoIP provider as SBC is the only land
>> line solution in my area and I no longer like the way they treat their
>> customers.
>>
>> I'm leaning tward Vonage, but my question is, does any of the VoIP
>> providers have issues when FAXing over the primary line? I know Vonage
>> can add a dedicated FAX line for $9.99, but I don't do a lot of FAXing
>> (maybe once a month). Having a second line would be a waste.
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>

> ATT CallVantage says to check with them before using a FAX as only
> certain types are supported.

I have faxed on my one and only vonage line and have had no problem. I
have a very simple Brother Intellifax
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:28:16 PM

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:46:14 -0800, The Great Uvageez wrote:

> I'm leaning tward Vonage, but my question is, does any of the VoIP
> providers have issues when FAXing over the primary line? I know Vonage
> can add a dedicated FAX line for $9.99, but I don't do a lot of FAXing
> (maybe once a month). Having a second line would be a waste. Any help
> would be appreciated.

I have setup a fax-service at www.k7.net for free. Only drawback is that
it requeires a call to it at least every 4 weeks - I've setup my server to
automatically send a fax every 3 weeks to ensure that ;-)
!