Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

nvidia's next card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 28, 2006 6:50:22 PM

Has anyone heard about what's to come after the 7900 and when?

I'm wondering if I should wait a few months or buy a 7900 now.

Any info or links much appreciated.

More about : nvidia card

May 28, 2006 6:51:51 PM

You get internet in your cave??????? This has been talked about million times. The G80 will be next nVidia's card. Such as 8800 or 8600. Those will most likely be out after Vista to have a true DX10 card.
May 28, 2006 8:19:25 PM

Take it easy on the poor man! How about a nice link instead??

Quote:
You get internet in your cave??????? This has been talked about million times. The G80 will be next nVidia's card. Such as 8800 or 8600. Those will most likely be out after Vista to have a true DX10 card.
Related resources
May 28, 2006 9:11:29 PM

The chip in nvidia's next GPU is claimed to be the G80, although no-one is forcertain. The G80 will be DirectX 10, although no officially claimed, and it will sport all the new goodies.

The newest card to come out form nvidia is the 7950GX2. Basically it's 2x 7900GTs, not 7900GTX's as the name would encourage ;)  and it's basically two GPUs that connect on one single PCI-Express Bus, not PCB as nvidia claims.

Nvidia claims the 7950GX2 is the 'Single fastest card solution' when in reality it's two cards on two PCBs connected via ONE PCI-E Bus. Theoretically two cards, two PCBs, one connector. Anywho, the card is fast, no doubt, but don't believe that it's two 7900GTXs on one single PCB, it's just two 7900GTs instead.

As for ATI, the R600 is said to be their next chip. And sport DirectX 10, and all the other goodies. Also, look to see dual GPUs connected via one PCI-E bus soon. Remember: Where nvidia leads, ATI follows.
May 28, 2006 9:33:09 PM

Very interesting! Where could a noob find out what improvements DX10 will have?

Quote:
The chip in nvidia's next GPU is claimed to be the G80, although no-one is forcertain. The G80 will be DirectX 10, although no officially claimed, and it will sport all the new goodies.

The newest card to come out form nvidia is the 7950GX2. Basically it's 2x 7900GTs, not 7900GTX's as the name would encourage ;)  and it's basically two GPUs that connect on one single PCI-Express Bus, not PCB as nvidia claims.

Nvidia claims the 7950GX2 is the 'Single fastest card solution' when in reality it's two cards on two PCBs connected via ONE PCI-E Bus. Theoretically two cards, two PCBs, one connector. Anywho, the card is fast, no doubt, but don't believe that it's two 7900GTXs on one single PCB, it's just two 7900GTs instead.

As for ATI, the R600 is said to be their next chip. And sport DirectX 10, and all the other goodies. Also, look to see dual GPUs connected via one PCI-E bus soon. Remember: Where nvidia leads, ATI follows.
May 28, 2006 9:39:58 PM

Quote:
The chip in nvidia's next GPU is claimed to be the G80, although no-one is forcertain. The G80 will be DirectX 10, although no officially claimed, and it will sport all the new goodies.

The newest card to come out form nvidia is the 7950GX2. Basically it's 2x 7900GTs, not 7900GTX's as the name would encourage ;)  and it's basically two GPUs that connect on one single PCI-Express Bus, not PCB as nvidia claims.

Nvidia claims the 7950GX2 is the 'Single fastest card solution' when in reality it's two cards on two PCBs connected via ONE PCI-E Bus. Theoretically two cards, two PCBs, one connector. Anywho, the card is fast, no doubt, but don't believe that it's two 7900GTXs on one single PCB, it's just two 7900GTs instead.

As for ATI, the R600 is said to be their next chip. And sport DirectX 10, and all the other goodies. Also, look to see dual GPUs connected via one PCI-E bus soon. Remember: Where nvidia leads, ATI follows.
ummmm Follow?Why cant nvidia do HDR and AA?ATI appears to be releasing a new hi end card out before x-mas.Then another in Feb.Nvidia future is not so hot.Ati interior ring bus is superior.
May 28, 2006 9:49:17 PM

Quote:
The chip in nvidia's next GPU is claimed to be the G80, although no-one is forcertain. The G80 will be DirectX 10, although no officially claimed, and it will sport all the new goodies.

The newest card to come out form nvidia is the 7950GX2. Basically it's 2x 7900GTs, not 7900GTX's as the name would encourage ;)  and it's basically two GPUs that connect on one single PCI-Express Bus, not PCB as nvidia claims.

Nvidia claims the 7950GX2 is the 'Single fastest card solution' when in reality it's two cards on two PCBs connected via ONE PCI-E Bus. Theoretically two cards, two PCBs, one connector. Anywho, the card is fast, no doubt, but don't believe that it's two 7900GTXs on one single PCB, it's just two 7900GTs instead.

As for ATI, the R600 is said to be their next chip. And sport DirectX 10, and all the other goodies. Also, look to see dual GPUs connected via one PCI-E bus soon. Remember: Where nvidia leads, ATI follows.
ummmm Follow?Why cant nvidia do HDR and AA?ATI appears to be releasing a new hi end card out before x-mas.Then another in Feb.Nvidia future is not so hot.Ati interior ring bus is superior.

Obviously you missed the point.

nvidia leads, ATI follows, means this: nvidia releases a new technology, such as SLI, ATI follows up on that and makes it better. Hence following up on that design. Anywho...carry on.
May 28, 2006 9:55:25 PM

Is that the latest guess? No fundamentally new NVidia card before christmas? Should I really get to keep my present 7900GTX for longer than HALF A YEAR? Amazing!
May 29, 2006 8:46:49 AM

Quote:
Is that the latest guess? No fundamentally new NVidia card before christmas? Should I really get to keep my present 7900GTX for longer than HALF A YEAR? Amazing!


What the fuck are you talkign about?
May 29, 2006 9:09:36 AM

Quote:
Very interesting! Where could a noob find out what improvements DX10 will have?

The chip in nvidia's next GPU is claimed to be the G80, although no-one is forcertain. The G80 will be DirectX 10, although no officially claimed, and it will sport all the new goodies.

The newest card to come out form nvidia is the 7950GX2. Basically it's 2x 7900GTs, not 7900GTX's as the name would encourage ;)  and it's basically two GPUs that connect on one single PCI-Express Bus, not PCB as nvidia claims.

Nvidia claims the 7950GX2 is the 'Single fastest card solution' when in reality it's two cards on two PCBs connected via ONE PCI-E Bus. Theoretically two cards, two PCBs, one connector. Anywho, the card is fast, no doubt, but don't believe that it's two 7900GTXs on one single PCB, it's just two 7900GTs instead.

As for ATI, the R600 is said to be their next chip. And sport DirectX 10, and all the other goodies. Also, look to see dual GPUs connected via one PCI-E bus soon. Remember: Where nvidia leads, ATI follows.


Well for starters Shader Model 4.0. Which unless you haven't seen Crysis, is simply amazing. DirectX 10 is awesome. Everyone knows that. But hey, if you don't want SM4.0 or DX10, or anythign for that matter...that's OK.
May 29, 2006 10:43:15 AM

Quote:
You get internet in your cave??????? This has been talked about million times. The G80 will be next nVidia's card. Such as 8800 or 8600. Those will most likely be out after Vista to have a true DX10 card.


with current cards being lagged-out by some of these newer games, could demand for new cards be pushing forward the new graphics card generation's release, before next year (release of vista) maybe?
May 29, 2006 10:47:09 AM

Quote:
Is that the latest guess? No fundamentally new NVidia card before christmas? Should I really get to keep my present 7900GTX for longer than HALF A YEAR? Amazing!


that's the price you have to pay for the dire need to constantly be on the brink of graphic card technology
May 29, 2006 11:10:51 AM

Wasn't the G80 supposed to be coming out this summer? According to many rumors, in fact...
May 29, 2006 12:28:19 PM

Quote:
Wasn't the G80 supposed to be coming out this summer? According to many rumors, in fact...


Well they're exactly that...rumors. Until something official comes out, I don't know exact;y what to believe.
May 29, 2006 12:56:41 PM

The **** I was talking about, Prince Charming, was that in the good old days I got to keep my graphics card for 2 years (anyone remember the Geforce2?). Now I need a new card every 6 months in order to keep abreast with games and framerates.

Quote:
Is that the latest guess? No fundamentally new NVidia card before christmas? Should I really get to keep my present 7900GTX for longer than HALF A YEAR? Amazing!


What the **** are you talkign about?
May 29, 2006 1:33:03 PM

June/July 2004 Geforce 6 series released
June/July 2005 Geforce 7 series released
June/July 2006 Geforce 8 series released?
May 29, 2006 1:51:39 PM

Quote:

Obviously you missed the point.

nvidia leads, ATI follows, means this: nvidia releases a new technology, such as SLI, ATI follows up on that and makes it better. Hence following up on that design. Anywho...carry on.


Yeap, new releases, like the x850 P(ress)E(dition) (just like the 7800gtx 512MB and the 7900 gtx, totally unavailable), dual link DVI, H.264 Aceleration, ati also fallow the image quality right?
ATI had a large corporation crossfire use, but didn't believe it could sell on desktops so well, and nvidia believed that, thats the advantage, but nvidia lacks much compatibility for that
a b Î Nvidia
May 29, 2006 10:32:23 PM

Quote:
June/July 2004 Geforce 6 series released
June/July 2005 Geforce 7 series released
June/July 2006 Geforce 8 series released?


You know I don't think so.

The GF7950 GX2 is launching next month I doubt they'll put the G80 anywhere near it. I'd suspect something closer to an August/Sept release date, of course I could be wrong, it's just speculation, but all the indicators point to that.
a b Î Nvidia
May 29, 2006 10:46:14 PM

Quote:
The chip in nvidia's next GPU is claimed to be the G80, although no-one is forcertain. The G80 will be DirectX 10, although no officially claimed, and it will sport all the new goodies.


All except a unified shader design.

It's not a 'requirement', but then again neither is the FP16 blending everyone liked in their 'SM3.0' cards (all but the GF6200 which doesn't have FP16 but is SM3.0 compliant)

Quote:
As for ATI, the R600 is said to be their next chip. And sport DirectX 10, and all the other goodies. Also, look to see dual GPUs connected via one PCI-E bus soon.


There wouldn't be any difference if nV used one PCB or two, their GPU design requires seperate lanes for each chip if they are also communicating with the other card via the SLI bridges, with the G7x series you can't do 3 chips via the internal SLi interface, 2 must be SLi and the other 2 communicate via the PCIe lanes.

Quote:
Remember: Where nvidia leads, ATI follows.


You obviously forget they R300 generation. And once again it will be ATi leading with the Unified Shader, the following will only be in the feature set which were mostly already breached in the R500.

Both companies lead and follow.
May 30, 2006 4:02:22 AM

Quote:
The **** I was talking about, Prince Charming, was that in the good old days I got to keep my graphics card for 2 years (anyone remember the Geforce2?). Now I need a new card every 6 months in order to keep abreast with games and framerates.


No, but I remember the GF4... it brings back painful memories
May 30, 2006 4:55:50 PM

My GeForce 4200 TI.... I'm full of fond memories. Something extraordinary must have happened in your case!

Quote:
The **** I was talking about, Prince Charming, was that in the good old days I got to keep my graphics card for 2 years (anyone remember the Geforce2?). Now I need a new card every 6 months in order to keep abreast with games and framerates.


No, but I remember the GF4... it brings back painful memories
May 30, 2006 4:57:02 PM

My GeForce 4200 TI.... I'm full of fond memories. Something extraordinary must have happened in your case!

Quote:
The **** I was talking about, Prince Charming, was that in the good old days I got to keep my graphics card for 2 years (anyone remember the Geforce2?). Now I need a new card every 6 months in order to keep abreast with games and framerates.


No, but I remember the GF4... it brings back painful memories
a b Î Nvidia
May 30, 2006 8:56:54 PM

Quote:
As for ATI, the R600 is said to be their next chip. And sport DirectX 10, and all the other goodies. Also, look to see dual GPUs connected via one PCI-E bus soon. Remember: Where nvidia leads, ATI follows.


Sooner than you think.

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/news.php?tid=606688&starttime=...

Funny it's HIS resurecting the 'MAXX' look.

It'd be interesting to see what VPUs are under the hood, they say RV530 (X1600) but mention 256bit (wonder if once again they're refering to ringbus).
May 30, 2006 9:25:28 PM

The 6800 Ultra 512MB didn't stop Nvidia from releasing the 7800 GTX.
a b Î Nvidia
May 30, 2006 10:28:38 PM

Quote:
The 6800 Ultra 512MB didn't stop Nvidia from releasing the 7800 GTX.


Yeah but the Ultra 512 was announced in February, shown in March and launch in April so a full 2+ months before the launch of the GTX.

I don't see them expecting GX2 buyers to fork out that kinda coin when an SLi G80 setup will demolish it, at least the U512 was an OEM inspired card (who have more control over the card's memory anyways).

I still say August/September for the 'back to school' crowd. But we'll see they could target the Summer break consumer but at this stage it seems like there's not enough rumblings out there to support their original June launch at the very least. I also don't see the motivation to launch the G80 other than to get it out there early so they can quickly move to a replacement in the Xmas season. Right now they have a very competitive part that likely costs them less to make than ATi. Also the G80 likely costs nV at least 50% more to make than the G71, and yet the market is not suddenly going to become even more receptive to high priced cards after the recent drops, so introducing the G80 doesn't make much sense especially when the killer app DX10/Vista is almost half a year away. People will pay money for a performance increase, but if they want to leverage the 'WOW' factor for the maximum dollar, then the realease of at least the coportate edition of Vista in Nov where they can show some 'official' demos that review sites can confirm and replicate.

Just a feeling but it's based on some pretty sound views of the situation the market sees itself in.
May 31, 2006 1:35:47 AM

Quote:
Has anyone heard about what's to come after the 7900 and when?

I'm wondering if I should wait a few months or buy a 7900 now.

Any info or links much appreciated.

Well, unfortunately, it seems that little more exists other than the "rumor mill" right now; nVidia's been fairly tight-lipped, possibly in part due to their work on the (G70-based, NOT G80-based) RSX for the Playstation3.

However, most signs point to a "GeForce 8" sort of card coming out sometime later this year, but not anytime that might be considered "soon."

Quote:
Very interesting! Where could a noob find out what improvements DX10 will have?

There actually seems to be little to see at the moment. I know that there are some pages somewhere, and I'll see if I can find them again...

But among them, it called for a unified shader arcitecture, as seen in the R500 Xenos used for the Xbox 360; it would bring an end to a limit of polygon-count. However, rumors suggest that of the next generation of cards to come, only ATi's might actually have a unified shader arcitecture.

Other perks would include mandating better floating-point color support, so you would see an end to AA debacles when using shaders such as some versions of HDR.

Quote:
June/July 2004 Geforce 6 series released
June/July 2005 Geforce 7 series released
June/July 2006 Geforce 8 series released?

Not quite so; I'm sorry to dissapoint you, but it's actually been a bit more than a year per generation. It might be best to look at it this way, assisted by THG review articles:[*:8d594c2a5e]January 2003: GeForce FX 5800 released
[*:8d594c2a5e]April 2004: GeForce 6800 released
[*:8d594c2a5e]June 2005: GeForce 7800 releasedObviously, the times might not be perfect, since these go off of the dates of the THG articles... But it gives you an idea that it's been a bit more than a year per generation, about 14-15 months per. So perhaps it might be a good idea to guess that the 8800 might show up in, say, September.

Quote:
Sooner than you think.

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/news.php?tid=606688&starttime=...

Funny it's HIS resurecting the 'MAXX' look.

It'd be interesting to see what VPUs are under the hood, they say RV530 (X1600) but mention 256bit (wonder if once again they're refering to ringbus).

Well, it might be worth noting that they only mention 512MB of total GDDR-3 memory, and I'd say there's no way they could possibly fit 1024MB of memory on there like that. So chances are, they mean each GPU has 256MB.

Likewise, it may be that in a similar vein, they're combining the memory interfaces of BOTH cards together, to come up with 256-bits wide. Of course, it's incredibly flawed, but it's clear that this hasn't stopped companies from advertising it like this anyway; I see the specs quite clearly match everything for the X1600XT, so I'd be willing to bet money that is, indeed, what's being used.
a b Î Nvidia
May 31, 2006 1:55:16 AM

Quote:

But among them, it called for a unified shader arcitecture, as seen in the R500 Xenos used for the Xbox 360; it would bring an end to a limit of polygon-count. However, rumors suggest that of the next generation of cards to come, only ATi's might actually have a unified shader arcitecture.


Actually DX10 doesn't require it, but it will better support it. That's why the G80 will be DX10 compliant while not being a unified design.

Quote:
Well, it might be worth noting that they only mention 512MB of total GDDR-3 memory, and I'd say there's no way they could possibly fit 1024MB of memory on there like that. So chances are, they mean each GPU has 256MB.

Likewise, it may be that in a similar vein, they're combining the memory interfaces of BOTH cards together, to come up with 256-bits wide. Of course, it's incredibly flawed, but it's clear that this hasn't stopped companies from advertising it like this anyway; I see the specs quite clearly match everything for the X1600XT, so I'd be willing to bet money that is, indeed, what's being used.


So either way it looks like they F'ed up with either multiplying the bitwidths, or using the ringbus. 1024MB on one board wouldn't be that difficult if oyu consider that 512MB X1600Pros are selling for about $120 US, and I'd suspect even with faster 1.4ns GDDR3 that a board like this would be profitable and sellable with 1GB @ $300, not that it'd be practical and wise as it stands (better to get a single X1800XT or X1900GT IMO).

And while that would make sense, it'd be nice to see the actual chips, because it's about time we saw the various X1700s, which would be perfect or this IMO, but that would be too much to hope for of course. :( 

Bringing out 2 X1600s on a card doesn't make much sense IMO. Sure it looks cool, and is a good 'proof of concept, but really, C'mon the craptacular X1600!

I would love to see HKEPC get their hands on two of these because I'm certain they'd do their darndest to make quad Xfire work with some kinda hack, or even (imagine) Octo-Xfire on a Gigabyte board (which seems flakey due to it's SLi Issues, but interesting)
June 1, 2006 1:01:23 AM

Quote:
You get internet in your cave??????? This has been talked about million times. The G80 will be next nVidia's card. Such as 8800 or 8600. Those will most likely be out after Vista to have a true DX10 card.


nah he lives in illinois, we are easily overlooked nothing comes here, nothing happens here. pretty boring.

i live in illinois too
:( 
June 1, 2006 2:08:15 AM

ATI's R600 series is already out and hard working XBOX 360 Baby
a b Î Nvidia
June 1, 2006 2:24:32 AM

Quote:
ATI's R600 series is already out and hard working XBOX 360 Baby


That an R500, not R600.
June 1, 2006 3:13:38 AM

Quote:
Not quite so; I'm sorry to dissapoint you, but it's actually been a bit more than a year per generation. It might be best to look at it this way, assisted by THG review articles:[*:86c10008ab]January 2003: GeForce FX 5800 released
[*:86c10008ab]April 2004: GeForce 6800 released
[*:86c10008ab]June 2005: GeForce 7800 released
Well, the 6800 series wasn't really available until June, and the Geforce 7800GTX was available at release, but yes I do see your point.
!